Sign in to follow this  
Basiliscus

Frere's Ultimatum

indexed.gif

I am interested history, particularly the British in Africa in the late 19th century. For my first project, I am planning to undertake MOCs related to the Anglo-Zulu war.

My second MOC on this theme, relates to the event which was the cassus belli of the Anglo-Zulu war. You can read more about it on my Flicker photostream.

4902115169_a8d3767974.jpg

Hey mate, this is looking good - but did you use up all your tan in the Prince Imperial and Hotel California vignettes? The blanket of green you have here could really use some variation. Other than a few of the stranger "sore thumb" branches, I like the everything you have to offer here. The artillery and minifigures are top notch and I always admire the historically educational aspect. Unfortunately the website I was using for my timeline was having trouble displaying the images last time I checked it. Perhaps I should reexamine my options sometime soon.

Hey mate, this is looking good - but did you use up all your tan in the Prince Imperial and Hotel California vignettes? The blanket of green you have here could really use some variation. Other than a few of the stranger "sore thumb" branches, I like the everything you have to offer here. The artillery and minifigures are top notch and I always admire the historically educational aspect. Unfortunately the website I was using for my timeline was having trouble displaying the images last time I checked it. Perhaps I should reexamine my options sometime soon.

Hi oo7! Thanks for such honest critique. I don't necessarily agree with adding tan to break up the green - this scene in reality took place near a fertile river bank and in the height of summer (December, but it's the Southern Hemisphere). I tried to get that across in the base. That's not to say that other colours didn't exist in reality - only that green would dominate. I was working from a black and white photo too which didn't help. In addition, I wanted to make the minifigs stand out a little so by having a less cluttered base this helps. Obviously your opinion differs from mine - but hopefully this background information will help you understand my reasoning.

I do agree some areas of the tree are a bit weak. I wanted it to be the centre of attraction for the MOC and it has generally been well-received. I can tell you that LEGO trees are hard! It would be helpful if you could add notes to a photo on Flickr showing the 'sore thumb' branches, as I am not sure I explicitly understand that metaphor (although I agree with your opinion on this).

I'd be glad to add this to your timeline when you get time to consider alternative hosting options.

Cheers,

Basiliscus

I see what you mean about the fertility as well as the contrast and visibility of the minifigures, although I think there would be room for a few sparse studs of dark tan or grey evenso to represent some pebbles amidst the all the verdure. Since you imply that you are constructing a series, perhaps you could consider this for any future installments. ;)

The branches which I find to be sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb are chiefly those you've installed vertically at either end. I'll be sure to make a note on flickr to clarify, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are correct that the interesting angles of the tree have been received well, and rightly so - I'm simply a tough critic, or I enjoy writing my best [hopefully constructive] criticism, or quite possibly both.

Excellent MOC 'Basiliscus' - fantastic tree you have there....nice and tall ! :thumbup:

Great soldiers and small field guns too !

Great work......what's next ?

I'm a conformist! 'Basiliscus' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet: