• Above Average
    • A Beacon of Light (Superb)

indexed.gif

Title of Set: 6833 Beacon Tracer

Theme: Space/M-Trons

Year Released: 1990

Pieces Count: 38

Minifigures: 1

Original Price: $3 (USD), Unknown (EUR), Unknown (GBP)

Current Prices: BrickLink Price Guide

Further Information: Brickset, Lugnet, Peeron, Photobucket Album

6833 Beacon Tracer is one of the smallest M-Tron sets and is the smallest ground vehicle in the M-Tron's arsenal. Making use of its four rubber tires and multiple boosters, this little vehicle can find those beacons in almost any geographical location in record time.

Instructions:

scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

The instructions are a very small foldout pamphlet that contain 8 steps. It is easy to follow and likely not even needed since the set practically builds itself.

Minifigure:

minifig.jpg

Basic M-Tron minifigure. Has the red, white, and black color theme, a black air tank, and the regular helmet with visor.

Main Piece:

IMG_3887.jpg

This single piece creates the whole base of the vehicle.

Printed Pieces:

Whole Lot:

IMG_3891.jpg

Three printed pieces are found in the set, minus the torso print. First time I've seen the printed slope piece and the windscreen is unique to this set only; however, it is not particularly valuable in terms of price.

Back of Windscreen:

IMG_3886.jpg

I thought this was a cool look on the usually unseen back of a print.

Translucent Pieces:

IMG_3890.jpg

Like many fellow M-Tron sets, Beacon Tracer comes with a wide variety and amount of translucent pieces. Always good to have extras if you're a space fan.

Complete without Minifigure:

Windscreen Closed:

IMG_3882.jpg

The Windscreen does not clip/connect to anything when closed shut. Still, it stays closed quite well.

Windscreen Open:

IMG_3883.jpg

The windscreen can swing open due to a hinged brick. This allows a full 90 degree positioning of the windscreen.

Front:

IMG_3881.jpg

Nothing to say here that isn't displayed in the picture.

Front Adjacent:

IMG_3874.jpg

Back Adjacent:

IMG_3875.jpg

Like the windscreen, the control panel itself is connected to a hinged brick. Certainly a nice thought by the designer of the set.

Close Back Adjacent:

IMG_3884.jpg

Closer view of the control area from behind.

Back:

IMG_3880.jpg

Here is a good shot of how the windscreen does not directly connect to anything when closed. Back of buggy is equipped with four boosters and an antenna. The antenna can be removed and the radio can be clipped in its place (or any similar accessory).

Completed with Minifigure:

IMG_3860.jpg

The four rubber wheels roll very well and help traverse over difficult terrain. The only accessories in this set are the air tank for the minifigure and the black radio.

A Bit Too Much Power:

IMG_3867.jpg

Ah, so that's what the antenna is really for!

Reviewer's Score:

Playability: 10/10 - For an impulse set, even when compared to many larger sets, this is a lot of fun to drive around. The antenna can be placed somewhere as a beacon that the Beacon Tracer needs to find. This set is very easy to pick up and enjoy.

Design: 10/10 - While limited on pieces, the vehicle has a great design and feel to it. It isn't too large to be weird looking or uncomfortable to use, but isn't too small to not provide an immense amount of enjoyment.

Price: 10/10 - 38 pieces are a generous amount for such a set. The three printed pieces, especially the windscreen, add value and make this set not feel like it was simply thrown together.

Total: 30/30 - Whether to appease one's small, or even large, LEGO appetite, this set fits the bill.

Not perfect, but very close to. I hope the new Space line gets rid of c**p like jellies and stomping things and gets closer to those cool old sets.

Thanks for the review.

For a MSRP of $3, I think this set does well against other impulse sets that I have witnessed, whether new or classic. But, I do have a fetish for M-Tron and ground vehicles with rubber wheels. :blush:

And I agree, no more jellies. I am very curious as to what Space Patrol brings to the table.

Edited by dj2005

This was my first MTron set. Nice little vehicle overall, and as you said the printed windscreen only appeared in this set. The slope was in several other sets.

It would have been better if they used the small shock absorbers though, which were used on several off-road town vehicles from that time period. I've modified mine with them and they add a lot to this set.

I wish there were more retro reviews on EB like this- there are a lot of amazing old sets out there! We should all team up and review all of the old classics.

I have almost all the sets from the old space themes but unfortunately don't have time to write good reviews like this with so many pictures.

Edited by CP5670

I own this set as well and i simply love it. It was one of my first sets, and i still have it constructed like one of the alternative options that came on the back of the box

30/30 no doubt :)

I'm not much of an M-Tron fan but this little set is really appealing! Thanks for the review.

Great set! It's amazing that a 38 piece set from so long ago is still better than most 100 piece space sets these days.

I own this set as well and i simply love it. It was one of my first sets, and i still have it constructed like one of the alternative options that came on the back of the box

30/30 no doubt :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the alternate model. :classic: The best picture that I've found showing the back of the box is so low resolution that it doesn't help.

I'm not much of an M-Tron fan but this little set is really appealing! Thanks for the review.

You're welcome, DPrime. :classic:

Great set! It's amazing that a 38 piece set from so long ago is still better than most 100 piece space sets these days.

Yep, it is a wonderful set and is one of my favorite impulse sets.

Thank you for this wonderful review. I had this set as a kid and explored many worlds with it. Brings back quite a few great memories!