Sign in to follow this  
ShrikeArghast

Narrow Gauge Royal Sleeper 'Heir Imperial'

You don't send your royal princess daughters abroad by shipping them like cattle crammed into coach - a noble excursion calls for for an equally queenly car to convey the inheritors to the throne. For the tiny nation of Cape Arundel, that means deploying the Heir Imperial, a luxurious, first-rate Pullman car with numerous amenities needed to satisfy the high standards of spoiled sisters on an overnight journey via narrow gauge.

HFkQvH5.png

BRg9Bm4.png

DofdRuX.png

From top to bottom: dressing room, palatial suite (with gold-adorned bed frame), and study:

z2L6Sw4.png

Top to bottom, kitchenette (accompanying chef/butler sleeps with the rest of the peasants), bathroom (the royal throne), and, again, study):

J1hF5T2.png

Coupled onto a train:

cXLxJBr.png

Edited by ShrikeArghast

ShrikeArgast,

Beautiful wagon|carriage|coach! All the effort spent on the details really paid off. The colors blend together very well to create the look of a royal coach. My guess from the dithering on the roof bricks that you were going for dark pearl|dark metalic grey bricks? If so, that is a nice subtle touch.

I have one critique on your design that I am not sure if you considered or not. The coach you have designed carries a very mid 19th century and later design with the addition of a clerestory as common in the wood coaches. However, the platform door has the appearance of a recessed version of a lightweight commuter such as a Budd Comet I|Comet II. In addition you included an enclosed gangway however those did not come about until the heavyweight streamlined coaches. Though its elevation lends itself to the current design trends of today. Of course this could be due to heavy rebuilding. (Workshops were known for this, some more than others.) I thought I would point this out in case you had overlooked it. If not, then I would be interested to know your reasoning for including it.

Here is a very applicable image to compare to your project. (Note: these are standard gauge coaches.) Note the access steps and the single entry door under the porch. Traversing between wagons, if possible, involved walking the steel plank in open weather. Definitely not for the faint of heart: Yellow caboose, yellow passenger car and olive passenger car

3D LEGO

ShrikeArgast,

I have one critique on your design that I am not sure if you considered or not. The coach you have designed carries a very mid 19th century and later design with the addition of a clerestory as common in the wood coaches. However, the platform door has the appearance of a recessed version of a lightweight commuter such as a Budd Comet I|Comet II. In addition you included an enclosed gangway however those did not come about until the heavyweight streamlined coaches. Though its elevation lends itself to the current design trends of today. Of course this could be due to heavy rebuilding. (Workshops were known for this, some more than others.) I thought I would point this out in case you had overlooked it. If not, then I would be interested to know your reasoning for including it.

Actually the reason is simple: the car is from a scene in a fantasy steampunk book, and it incorporates certain advanced elements while retaining a classic late 19th century charm. I wanted something that looked familiar, but simultaneously unique, so that is why the carriage is modern, but hearkens back to the original Pullman Palace cars.

What are the gaps under the white line?

Insets - just extra levels of detail. I didn't want to make the car look like it was fluted in any way, but I did want some eye-catching elements to break up the frame. Therefore, I opted to try to recreate (as best as possible) the appearance of some wood inlay. I guess I was only partially successful :/.

Also, the line is supposed to be a gold seam, but it just came out as an off white in Bluerender.

Should fit fine - I test-placed a minifig inside while building just to make sure everything would allow for standing. Only place they probably do not fit is the balcony. :/

Edited by ShrikeArghast

ShrikeArghast,

Ah, I see. Neither A (Oversight) nor B (Shop rebuild.) but C! (Whatever I want to fit my theme.) Works for me. Thank you for the insight.

My only worry is with that caboose/brake van. I do hope you do not have any low bridges, low tunnels or truss bridges on your fantasy line... Else you will be replacing that cupola topper quite often!

3D LEGO