This MOC is inspired by Tim Cameron's 700HP rig called "ShowTime". A one-off custom built rig made specifically for "Southern style Rock Bouncing" events. These machines are all about insane horsepower, near impossible climbs and pure strength. The chassis design uses over 60m of steel tubing as is often criticized as being ugly and "excessive", but the design is exactly what keeps this rig together after repeated crashes, rolls and torque-driven rock bouncing.

IMG_5656.JPG

The LEGO version is made to closely resemble the original at 1:10. It features a powerful driving and climbing ability from 4 XL motors, geared 1:3. It uses 2 SBricks for control and, just like the original, it includes 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering and 4 link suspension. During the outdoor driving, the MOC was very enjoyable to drive. Let's start with the video:

Control: 2 SBricks

Drive: 4 XL (1 independent motor per wheel)

Gearing: 1:3

Steering: 1 Servo (4 wheel steering)

Batteries: 2 AAA battery boxes

Length: 60 studs

Width: 30 studs

Height: 28 studs

Ground clearance: 6 studs

Weight: 1.6kg (with batteries)

Tires: Interco IROK 1.55″ from RC4WD

The 3'rd party tires gave very good climbing traction over rock and loose dirt. The motors had no problem with torque. It was only the batteries that lost power very quickly with the high drain setup and the cold weather. The suspension could also benefit from harder springs in the front as the center of gravity is placed between the front tires and seats. The tires performed beyond expectation on the climbs, but did put strain on the single servo motor. The tread pattern having grip on the sides also makes them grip the body if there is not enough clearance provided when they reach steering lock position.

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

The biggest challenge in this build were the axles. 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering was a requirement, as well as a look that resembled the original. After several attempts to include the motors in the chassis, a compromise was made to have 1 L motor directly driving each wheel. This gave the "compact" look I was looking for but performance was disastrous. After finishing the build, I decided to restart the axles using 1 XL motor per wheel and a portal hub with 1:3 gearing. The results in the end gave good clearance and enough torque to overcome some steep rocky climbs.

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

The most exciting part of the build was the fully tubular body, in red! Since I didn't want to convert the colour scheme to blue, grey or black, I had to find 3'rd party hoses compatible with LEGO. The build ended using 3.5m of hoses, all cut to standard LEGO lengths. All the hose connections as well as the rest of the build was made using 100% LEGO parts.

800x533.jpg

Hope you like it. Feel free to comment or ask questions!

Thanks,

Mik

Edited by SevenStuds

Really awesome build. The bodywork is impressive!

What is it with all the awesome motorized technic builds lately? I am a system guy but I find myself drawn to this forum more and more.

This is amazing! I was already excited seeing 'showtime' in the title, and I was surprised to see such detailed bodywork, really creative! Those 16l links in the suspension, do they ever bend under stress?

Edited by z3_2drive

Great crawler indeed! The cage looks awesome, but how does it cope with rollovers? Also, I liked how you directed the video.

The original vehicle is very impressive, great job replicating the long travel suspension. It would be cool to see one of these with a bunch of L motors or RC motors to replicate the original speed and power of the beast. Also great job with the video.

4 XL-motors for 1.6Kg of LEGO sure give an excellent performance! Don't like the looks of the original model, but you have made a good effort shaping your MOC.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Those 16l links in the suspension, do they ever bend under stress?

At first I also thought they would because of their typical use in "tensile" applications, but surprisingly they held up very well with negligible bending. It's the shorter 9L links that restricted them from going into compression. I first used beams and steering arms with sockets, but that was too bulky and didn't represent the real model well enough.

Great crawler indeed! The cage looks awesome, but how does it cope with rollovers? Also, I liked how you directed the video.

Thanks! The cage is totally rubbery. It will not protect anything like the real version, but at least it just pop's back into place when flattened.

It would be cool to see one of these with a bunch of L motors or RC motors to replicate the original speed and power of the beast. Also great job with the video.

The first version had 4 ungeared L motors. Speed was not so impressive and it couldn't even climb over a book. The best thing about the slowness of the XLs is that they are very controllable. I think a few 2 RC motors and less grippy tires would give you that fast wheel spinning action up the slopes. Could be nice!

It looks great! Though I would like to point out some potential improvements.

- put the XL motors so they are parallel to the wheel hubs. This way you get rid of a pair of gear and make axle more compact.

- The shock aborsbers are held only by a cross pin, so they will sonner or later fall out. Use a different method or use some beams to build over attachment point to catch the spring

- if possible use two steering motors and put them as close to the steering rack as possible to reduce any slack and flex in the steering system.

Edited by Zblj

I have followed Tim's videos for a while and I don't know how his vehicles can ever be called ugly. I love his vehicles and I think you did an outstanding job here. Very creative use for the bodywork....

I'm also in the camp that really likes the bodywork. It's a great way to keep the weight down and still make it look good. The XL motors are well hidden, as are the rest of the electrical components. Very nice job! The video is very well made - the mountains make a beautiful backup.

The only thing I don not like on this project, although I know that making it different would not be probably possible it it's cabin size to lenght of the chassis ratio. Everythig else is awesome! :D

I especially like the method you used to make the body.

That's insane! Both performance and the body work. Nice job.

If there is a better use for a sausage I have not seen it!!!

Edited by aeh5040

Wow man, I've been lurking this forum a few weeks now, and I am really excited about what you guys can build. But this is just the pinnacle of epic offroad vehicles for me. I love it. And the video is so cool, the background with the sun in the mountains makes it really something else.

You inspire me man. Lovely.

It looks great! Though I would like to point out some potential improvements.

- put the XL motors so they are parallel to the wheel hubs. This way you get rid of a pair of gear and make axle more compact.

- The shock aborsbers are held only by a cross pin, so they will sonner or later fall out. Use a different method or use some beams to build over attachment point to catch the spring

- if possible use two steering motors and put them as close to the steering rack as possible to reduce any slack and flex in the steering system.

Thanks for the constructive feedback! You definitely have a good technical eye for improvements. With good feedback, future builds will keep getting stronger and more reinforced for sure!

Are you glad you didn't have to ask for the undershot again? :wink:

Wow man, I've been lurking this forum a few weeks now, and I am really excited about what you guys can build. But this is just the pinnacle of epic offroad vehicles for me. I love it. And the video is so cool, the background with the sun in the mountains makes it really something else.

You inspire me man. Lovely.

Welcome to the forum Frank and thanks for the comment! The filming location is a special place for me. Its where I go biking and to "forget about the civilised world".

Very interesting model. Thank's for sharing all those great inventions you put into that chasis. If I see a single flaw on the modell, then it might be the shape (and look) of the front. It's somewhat to roundish and doesn't resemble the real buggy very well, at least to me it looks more like tractor front :)

It's not really my 'thing' but it looks good.

Especially the roll cage I think it's great. Very creative build with the use of all kind of 'weird' parts like the sausages :classic:

This thing is great! I like the way you made the drivechain put as ZBLJ said it would have been better if you had connected them parallel to the wheels.

I really like the photography.

Innovative design and massive power to weight ratio (4 XL / 1.6 kg) are the best invitation to watch the video - Nice location and great editing! The 3'rd party tires add to appearance as much as to performance… All in all, this is a great interpretation of the real vehicle! :thumbup:

Edited by sm 01