Sign in to follow this  
system

duplo train spybotics combo

My project with RC trains failed (I'll try few years later maybe again). But i managed to make another one :)

My youngest kid is 3 years now and just love to play with duplo trains. There were 2 problems however. One is that trains are expensive. Second is that there is no rc trains...

Here is recipe:

1. duplo train base

2. Spybotics module and RC

3. roborobo wheels

4. some technics parts

5. some more technics parts to connect motor to wheels:

a) 3736, 3482, rubber band

b) 3648, 4019, 24x3711

6. some bricks for weight

7. ??????

8. PROFIT!!!

I didn't found any suitable lego wheels in my inventory that have good friction with duplo wheels. Ones from RoboRobo set fit very well. If anyone come up with some better idea, lt me know, as now kids want to connect cargo cars.

I recommend to use 5a as it simpler and provide softer start. 5b is faster. Trains have 2 speeds: slow when only one motor is working, and about 30% faster when both motors are working. It also works well with only one side powered. Trains could backward, and that is really helpful to avoid jams.

Some bricks are used just to add weight to front, so train don't fall back at start.

Problems:

* they don't go uphill well, as train wheels are plastic, so not enough friction with track

* with current setup it is not possible to connect cars at back as they hit wheels on turns

* often got stuck on 2 sequential switches (placing curved or strait track bin between eliminate problem)

There are many games that is fun to play.

E.g. Place one train that go automatically forward, and everyone goals is to avoid it. For kids it is a bit challenging as they need to control train and change switches simultaneously.

Here is short video:

Edited by system

Nice job!

I like the way you used spybotics for RC and friction to transmit power to the train wheels without modifying the train.