Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

Project M- Telehandler

Telehandler-

27413186916_4b781dbf75_c.jpg

I am a bit surprised there hasn’t been a minifigure version telehandler made by LEGO before, though as per usual, there have been technic versions of the vehicle for years.

I like the look of these little guys and they are useful in the construction realm and can move items into place with the extending boom. My online search for inspiration didn’t reveal anything overly useful already made in LEGO form except a little telehandler made by Jang of Jang bricks. Since I planned to use the premade boom piece and the forks from a forklift (just as Jang did), I actually spent a bit of time making sure my version was unique as compared to his.

27348025122_70c2f87335_c.jpg

My version uses a pair of arms to lift the boom (the version I have seen in action outside of my workplace uses two piston/arms) versus the single arm versions frequently saw in my internet searches.

27170705160_fa7e8714ab_c.jpg

The telehandler is about as narrow as it can get and still fit a minifigure, but it does seem a tad wider than I would like.

27170704720_70850a7d98_c.jpg

The boom, even with the two support arms, tends to flop around a little bit more than I would like. I think if I used a single piston arm under the boom, it might actually be a little stiffer. The piece that holds the fork is also a little bulkier than I would like, but I wanted it to be pretty function for play with Miles. He now wants a telehandler of his own, so I may need to make a simplified/sturdier one for his play.

27413186726_b5176064c6_c.jpg

I borrowed and modified the outriggers from the backhoe and used the Mixel ball joints to connect the mudguards. They aren’t perfect, but overall I think it works pretty well.

For more builds in Project M- click here.

I think it looks very realistic, well done! In reality these can be quite big machines and I think you got the scale about right. The cabin could have been 1 stud narrower maybe, 3 wide.

This is one of my favorite vehicles in your Project M so far. Great overall look, and that cab area is perfect :wub:

Thanks guys. A three wide cab would certainly be a challenge. The front loader is now up as well.

I am a bit surprised there hasn’t been a minifigure version telehandler made by LEGO before, though as per usual, there have been technic versions of the vehicle for years.

I think there was one a few years ago that came with a flatbed truck & Garbage/Recycling boxes. If I remember correctly, it was very small and not nearly as nice as yours.

Edited by LoneBrickerSG

I think there was one a few years ago that came with a flatbed truck & Garbage/Recycling boxes. If I remember correctly, it was very small and not nearly as nice as yours.

You're right!

2013:

4206-2.jpg?201110160418

Well I guess I have a point of reference/comparison now!