Sign in to follow this  
DLuders

Ezvid Freeware Screen Recorder And Video Editor

Here's an option to show LDD software problems (and solutions) -- Ezvid Freeware Screen Recorder And Video Editor. It works on any Windows platform. Instead of just showing a static photograph of Lego Digital Designer (LDD) "clashes" and software problems, you can make a video of your LDD screen IN ACTION to better demonstrate the problem. This YouTube video shows how it works -- the software is free to download and "spyware free and adware free":

For example, AFOLs like bbqqq could demonstrate LDD collisions like this in a YouTube video:

6168210697_9acb06b757_b.jpg

Here is an example of what could be done -- a YouTube video about the "LEGO Digital Designer 4.2 Bug Report" by Mikal7 (recommend clicking on this link and viewing it Full Screen to see the problems described below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skc0DsQwv2Y

"BUG REPORT

PRODUCT:

LEGO Digital Designer 4.2

BUG NATURE:

Program Crash [after action initiation]

BUG REPLICATION:

Connect Technic Brick (i.e. Part# 6541) to Knobbed Brick 1x1 (i.e. part# 4733) end-to-end (i.e. not one on top/bottom, but side-to-side), fitting 'knob' from part# 4733 into Technic Brick. Then Multi-Select both bricks and attempt to move the group. This will cause a program crash.

OTHER NOTES:

- For the Technic Bricks 1x2 and 1x4, even with the 1x2 plate bricks with the middle knob, the program will not let you place the knobbed brick.

- I checked all over LEGO.com for a "Bug Report" link, or something similar, but could not find one. I hope this reaches the appropriate people, and that this issue will be resolved soon. Not having access to the combination of these two brick-types is a severe handicap to the LEGO enthusiast community that uses LEGO Digital Designer to create instructions to custom designs.

- Thanks for producing such a great product that is so intuitive and useful. I really appreciate all the work the people at LEGO and its affiliates put into each one of their products, and I hope that this bug report is able to aid them in their continued delivery of excellent customer service and quality products."

Edited by DLuders

It also works with other Lego Cad tools too if you need to share any tips of if you are needing help with a project.

I made a quick video.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

In case Mikal7 finds his way over to this Eurobricks topic, his problem with Lego Technic Bricks has already been reported (and acknowledged) as a known problem with LDD 4.2.5: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65126 . His YouTube video made it more clear than just words and pictures, however!

LDD_crash.jpg

AndyC explained why LDD has a problem with it: "Strictly speaking it's what TLG call "out of system" and is often referred to by AFOLs as an illegal building technique. There is a very slight height difference between the stud on the side of the brick and the hole in a Technic brick which means the top and bottom of the bricks are slightly out of line. The consequence of this is that using it in a model can place the bricks under undesirable levels of stress and potentially damage parts.

It's unfortunate that LDD crashes when you do this, but the correct behaviour* would actually be for LDD to prohibit this type of connection entirely, so "fixing" the bug probably isn't going to help you anyway.

*strictly speaking it can be a legal technique as long as nothing is connected above or below and it is only a single stud, but that's an extremely uncommon scenario anyway"

Edited by DLuders