GI_Jack

Adjustable grid lines for pictures or blue prints

Hi

I am looking for a program that would allow me to place grid lines on a blue print or a picture. The ones that I found are either limited to just a few sections (3x3, 4x4) or give me lots of grid lines that can not be adjusted. I am sure Photoshop has got features like that, but I need something simpler and more accessible.

I used to play with a piece of paper and a ruler, and then with simple mathematics scale dimensions into studs. It's fine, but there must be a way of doing it all on the computer.

Thanks for the quick answer. That is a great little tool as long as you are connected to the internet.

I need something that will work offline, too. I tried Irfanview, PhotoScape, MSPaint.

Paint.net is a good free image editor, with a pretty good plugin system. A quick search revealed the existence of at least a couple of different grid plugins.

http://www.getpaint.net

http://forums.getpai...d-maker-plugin/

[Edit] I use Paint.net, so I installed the grid plugin. I think it's going to be exactly what you're looking for!

Edited by Classicsmiley

First I started working with http://sporkforge.com/imaging/grid.php and realized I can save the image with grid lines to be used later offline. Great! Handy little program and very easy to use.

I started building in LDD, but soon noticed the proportions seemed to be a bit odd.

Well...the problem with placing grid lines on pictures of buildings (as I was doing) is that horizontal and vertical lines were spaced equally, whereas with Lego bricks the ratio between height and width is not 1:1, but rather 6:5. So now I need grid lines that will follow that 6:5 ratio. Still working on it.

I've downloaded paint.net, got the plugin and getting familiar with that solution too. Thanks

I'd stay with a square grid. I think that any SNOT technique you use will make 6:5 grid even more difficult to deal with than 1:1.

I have experimented more with the online tool and managed to save two different grid lines (with different spacings) in contrasting colours on one picture. It wasn't very clear but worked OK.

[Edit] I use Paint.net, so I installed the grid plugin. I think it's going to be exactly what you're looking for!

Yes indeed! This program allows for adjusting horizontal grid steps independently to vertical ones. That is exactly what I was looking for, greatly appreciate it!