Sign in to follow this  
Oken

Sawaya's iPhone, how to...

Hi all !

I suppose you know the iPhone made by Nathan Sawaya.

I tried to do the same (because I really want to have one but I prefer buy some sets instead :D )

But it seems to have somme problems with the construction with the studs and I wonder if they are no tricks or cheats...

Look at the suppose stud line between the green arrows. It's really possible? (or I'm a big noob?)

howtod.jpg

More images and back view here.

I think that's 2 arches with a 2x2 round round dish inserted where the arches are empty, but I don't know how he insterted this inside the phone without cutting the studs on the arch Oo

Thx Guss.

I agree with you and I'm desappointed with Sawaya's work.

And that is not the only cutting that has been done here, look at the 1x1 bricks next to the arches. :hmpf_bad:

i think he only cut the bricks

Geez, guys, what's so disappointing? So he cut a few bricks - I don't see any of you scoffing at custom minifigures, so why be nitpicky about this creation?

I think it's a great creation, and I'm going to guess that you [Oken] do too - otherwise, you wouldn't want to be recreating it.

Yes, the 1x1 cut brick effect could've been mimicked with five 1x1 plates and a 1x1 tile, but that's no need to excoriate Nathan for it.

Well said Adam :thumbup:

As long as noone's cutting my bricks.

I think it's fine, I'm a brick cutter. I modify pieces, not all the time, but mainly things for minifigs. He couldn't have had the effect he did without cutting the bricks.

EDIT: fixed grammatical errors :)

Edited by Spyder

I did realise this soon after seeing it for the first time. I was wondering a lot about how he made that part. And it was a little disapointing to realize that it was made by modifying the bricks.

I can appreciate modded minifigs for what they are: modified. But here is something claimed to be made out of LEGO that can't be made with LEGO. It's kind of cheating and that takes away all the greatness of it.