Sign in to follow this  
Sire Pirol

Napoleonic Wars/Armies (WIP)

HI ! I am preparing a set and all my little plastic actors for the biggest napoleonic war in lego film production. I care for historical realism and want to make huge battle scenes. Of course in the mean time I am doing historical research, making customs tursos for my soldiers, making custom minifigs etc. I hope to bring the highest quality to my film !

For starters I Will begin my presentaion of my first army. A company of russian Infantry.

11601625813_6f84cb7aac_b.jpg

11601386645_314eee3e85_b.jpg

11601720924_e4cce18b78_b.jpg

11601595163_9fc541a836_z.jpg

Historical input would be really appreciated !

STAY tuned for when I will make upload pictures of the set and more armies.

Edited by Sire Pirol

Hi Sire Pirol,

You made a good start at customization.

I suggest to improve on the guns. Shops like BrickForge offer excellent muskets that look better than the LEGO muskets.

And they also allow the addition of bayonets, which you will definitely need to create an historic atmosphere.

Good luck!

nice overall look.

just one suggestion: what you've used to make the baldric (i hope it's the correct term for them), some sort of sculpting clay like milliput or kneadatite?

if yes, you could put the clay between two sheets of "hoven paper", maybe gently wet, and flatten them with some sort of round object (like a marker pen). Let the clay dry for some minutes, then cut it in stripes with a knife (a cutter is better) and you should be able to put the slices on your models without letting fingerprints on them, and make them almost the same thikness.

(it should works also with Fimo, but i've never tried it ;) )

best regards

marco

UPDATE

Hey folks, I wish you all the best for the 2014 new year !!! I bring you some progress for my lego war !

11677316813_62b72573e8_b.jpg

The begginning ! My Russian infantry soldier, borys, is patrolling the terrain. Bristol board dominates the countryside, and lots of green clay finds its way to the center. Because I do the have enough baseplates to accomidate the entire landscape, clay will be used. It is easier to move minifigs around especialyl during filming without the minifigs tipping over !

11677820956_698be60cf9_b.jpg

11677813786_2549fb3ece_b.jpg

The Russians were quick in capturing key stragetic points.

11677393404_e16c10b7a7_b.jpg

11677263413_10fee49068_b.jpg

Edited by Sire Pirol

Haha after making of custom turso decals, research and modeling clay I am coming near to finishing the set and armies. Here is my progress as of now:

14177228963_8b0181e279_c.jpg

13970490729_e7aec4c976_c.jpg

14154335842_f24bdbcf11_c.jpg

Now I will be working on scenery ! Hope this turns out well in the end ! I want to make it as massive as I can !

Your army is getting quite large Sire Pirol. I like your different regiments and it looks like you've put a large amount of your time into this. My favorite troops are the ones with the yellow brims on their hats.

I do miss more LEGO in the display however. I understand the use of clay but what if you had some bits of brick land in there with some trees or rocks. You've made a hill out of clay. How cool would that be if it was a brick hill placed on the clay terrain?

Looks nice so far! You do know that there are real lego things that look like the things you made out of clay

haha thank you sir. Yes I am aware of that as well. I think there are the shakos, hussars caps and czapkas that are freshly molded from abs plastic. I forgot where it was from though. I think it was Brickforge or something. I've seen the prototypes two or three years ago here in these forums.

Even though clay isn't that perfect as ABS plastic molded custom pieces, I think it gives me a little more freedom. The custom parts cost a bit of money, which a rather pay for more minifigs or muskets to improve the size of these armies. In this case I am fighting against quantity rather than quality. As you can see the clay could somehow replace custom parts but a minifig can only replace another minifig !

Hi Sire Pirol,

You made a good start at customization.

I suggest to improve on the guns. Shops like BrickForge offer excellent muskets that look better than the LEGO muskets.

And they also allow the addition of bayonets, which you will definitely need to create an historic atmosphere.

Good luck!

Yes the muskets/rifles/and musketoons need improvement. I am rather at a tight budget at the momment that even a couple of pieces of plastic would not be as pleasent on me ! (books are expensive at school !) I've seen the bayonets and I really love them ! I will plan for the future to order a couple. Although I might save on the muskets and just buy the generic lego muskets. As for now the muskets are a little bit ugly as I don't have that much. ( 6 muksets and 5 rifles for 50 * fuislers/footguards/line infantry !

nice overall look.

just one suggestion: what you've used to make the baldric (i hope it's the correct term for them), some sort of sculpting clay like milliput or kneadatite?

if yes, you could put the clay between two sheets of "hoven paper", maybe gently wet, and flatten them with some sort of round object (like a marker pen). Let the clay dry for some minutes, then cut it in stripes with a knife (a cutter is better) and you should be able to put the slices on your models without letting fingerprints on them, and make them almost the same thikness.

(it should works also with Fimo, but i've never tried it ;) )

best regards

marco

Excellent advice ! I applied this to some of my new units and it works beatifully ! Thank you sir !

p.s. it is not a baldric but rather a coat ! Many armies such as the prussians or russians during the napoleonic wars wore a winter coat over their shoulders. These are some of my reference pictures:

Russian_infantryman.jpg

rear_guard_of_Russian_Army_1812_by_Chagadayev.jpg

Russian_infantry_1812.jpg

Your army is getting quite large Sire Pirol. I like your different regiments and it looks like you've put a large amount of your time into this. My favorite troops are the ones with the yellow brims on their hats.

I do miss more LEGO in the display however. I understand the use of clay but what if you had some bits of brick land in there with some trees or rocks. You've made a hill out of clay. How cool would that be if it was a brick hill placed on the clay terrain?

Thank you ! The troops what you are refering to are my Duchy of Warsaw Polish line infantry. It was quite challenging to make their czapkas !

Haha, this is not the final stage of my project. For now I am finishing up the troops and making short videos and testing the special effects. After I decide what battle I want to do (I was thinking Borodino or Leipzig) I will look at paintings and map of the terrain and make the actual set. I will add buildings and terrain out of lego but ONLY after I decide what battle I want to do. For example if I am making Lodi I must build a bridge and a town. If I am building Leipzig I must build a town surrounded by mountainous terrain.

Do not worry ! The set is only in the "blank" state for now until I decide what I want to do !

Hi ! I So this is still happening. I changed my Grande Armee to become more of the revolutionary army of the war of the coalition and changed the helmet styles of the austrians, as well as added more cuirassiers. This is temporary as I am making a series so I hope to start from the war of the first coalition and end it at Napoleons defeat in Waterloo. I'll post pics soon !

Moreover I just released the first episode which could be found here.