Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#34: The Dark Secret

68 rounds of intense staring later, Count Shadeaux succumbs to the effects of the poisoning and falls unconscious to the ground.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

Dak and Guts gains half of a level. The enemies drop 1100 gold and a Shadeaux Shield.

Party:

6843093399_d39f47706a_t.jpg

Dak Shadeaux
(played by Darth Nihilus)

Level 15 Rogue
*Immune to Badly Poisoned-effect*

Power:
25 (20 for ranged attacks)

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Knife (WP:10,
lightning-elemental
), Throwing Knife (WP:5, ranged, retrievable), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Trendy Handbag (protects from whichever bad effect was last inflicted in battle to someone else), Potion, Grand Potion, Mead, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Bedroll, Shovel

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone
(played by The Legonater)

Level 14 Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:
24 (18 for ranged attacks)

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Double Chain Whip (WP:10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Steel Fan (WP:12), Longsword (WP: 3), Darksteel Crossbow (WP:8, blinded-effect, unsuitable), Loaded Die (permanent lucky-effect), Potion, Grand Potion, Mead, Smelling Salts

6800805643_71f494fd9d_t.jpg

Guts Holla
(played by Scubacarrot) *Party Leader*

Level 18 Rogue

Power:
30 (26 for ranged attacks)

Health:
24/24

Gold:

Inventory:
Lifestealer (WP:12,
ice-elemental
, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP:8, ranged, retrievable,
light-elemental
),
Beholder's Eye
(allows one round of battle to be replayed per quest), 2 Grand Potions, 2 Meads, Bedroll, Shovel

Party leader, please divide the spoils of the battle:

heroica-gold.jpg1100 Gold

heroica-shadeauxshield.jpgShadeaux Shield - SP:4, suitable to knights

QM Note: I'll be away for the next three nights for the Midsummer festivities. I had hoped to conclude this quest before that, but I'd rather do it properly than with haste. So, the quest will continue on Sunday, and you'll find out the truth about Count Shadeaux then.

I just have to say that damn you are all filthy rich after this quest! :tongue:

Guts helped Dyric up once again, it certainly was not his day, it seemed, perhaps the nights they spend up fighting in the park were getting to him, Guts would be lying if he said they were not getting to him. The past few days had made it brutally clear to the old rogue that he was starting to get older, although he would never say, or show any sign of it to the others, especially these two youngsters.

"You did well, Rone."

Guts took his Throwing Knife out of the ground, sheathed it, and added:

"You too, kid."

With a rag, Guts wiped the dirt of his armour, his blade did not need cleaning, for some reason, no blood would stick to the sword, Lifestealer. It was almost if the blood simply... disappeared? Then, the rogue walked towards the dead bodies, took all the gold, and rummaged through any of the belongings. It was pretty standard stuff, mostly useless, although the shield seemed in good condition, fairly free of dents, and reasonable craftsmanship. Guts smirked, he knew Dak was somehow related to house Shadeaux, and ran away, imaging him carrying a shield with that House's emblem was... ironic, perhaps?. He gave the Shield to Dak, and divided the gold, 300 gold went to both Dyric and Dak, while Guts kept 500 gold himself.

Guts sighed when he looked at the unconscious Count. For a moment, Guts played with the thought of slitting the man's throat, right here, right now. But the idea went as quickly as it came, it would create more problems than it would solve, probably. Instead, Guts started unwinding his headwraps. This was the first time Dak and Dyric got a good look at Guts's face, other than his eyes. What they saw was pale skin, from staying under the headwraps so long, His head was bald, and one of his eyebrows was split in half, short stubbles marked the rogue's chin. But more defining were the rogue's scars, three long, unhealthy, greyish scars defined Guts face diagonally, as though a massive beast had ripped his face open. Smaller scars and red burnmarks covered the spots around the bigger scars, as well as the top and back of his head. Guts's nose looked like it was broken and reset poorly, giving an even more twisted view. There were almost no lips, they had been burned away, and the only redeeming feature (apart from Guts' sharp eyes) was the rogue's jawline, which hinted that he might have been handsome. Once.

7416117184_5bb5ed3db6_t.jpg

Guts ignored Dyric and Dak's uncomfortable looks, and proceeded to tie the Count's hands with the cloth.

Edited by Scubacarrot

Well that was a waste of time that could have been better spent discussing my fees. How long was I out anyways?

I watch Guts take off his headwrap off.

...That's a nice look. Going for the whole 'man-against-the-world' look? It totally fits you.

...If you want I know a good acting trainer. We can discuss fees later.

Guts smirked, and in a low voice, said:

"Arrogance does not suit you, Rone."

I merely smile.

So, it looks like it's over. Where do you plan on going from here, Boss?

A compliment. That's new, Dak thinks, wiping blood off his knife and the shield. "Yes, indeed. Arrogance obviously suits you much better, Guts," he says, rather droll. "Doubtless you're planning on spreading your riches to all the wenches in town, I should imagine. I wouldn't put it past you, to be sure," he smirks. "Surely you aren't thinking of putting that money to a more noble purpose."

Guts sighs:

"Kid, don't waste your breath trying to insult me. Now, I suggest we wait until the Count wakes up, and question him."

Just the breath of a true smile graces Dak's face, for the first time in a long while. "Gee, wonder where I picked up that habit," he says.

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 15 Rogue

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental
), Throwing Knife (WP:5, ranged, retrievable), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Trendy Handbag (protects from whichever bad effect was last inflicted in battle to someone else), Shadeaux Shield (SP:4, unsuitable)Potion, Grand Potion, Mead, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Bedroll, Shovel

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 14 Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Double Chain Whip (WP:10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Steel Fan (WP:12), Longsword (WP: 3), Darksteel Crossbow (WP:8, blinded-effect, unsuitable), Loaded Die (permanent lucky-effect), Potion, Grand Potion, Mead, Smelling Salts

Guts Holla

Level 18 Rogue

Power:

Health:
24/24

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental
),
Beholder's Eye
(allows one round of battle to be replayed per quest), 2 Grand Potions, 2 Meads, Bedroll, Shovel

Count Noctus Shadeaux comes to, lying on the hard pebbled ground of the Stone Garden. He sees his guards lying dead around him, and his rapier kicked out of his reach. Three rogues in dark clothing hover above him.

heroicanpc-noctusshadeaux.jpg

"You... You 'aven't killed me? Mais... why? Why engage my guards in battle four zree nights in a row and zen slowly watch me succumb tu my allergique reaction, and zen leave me alive?! Answeur me, zut alors!"

The count stares the party expectantly.

"You are hardly in a position to be asking questions, Count. If that's your real name... Anyway, I'll be asking the questions. Now, what are you?"

Guts points his Light-infused throwing knife at the Count while speaking.

"You are hardly in a position to be asking questions, Count. If that's your real name... Anyway, I'll be asking the questions. Now, what are you?"

Guts points his Light-infused throwing knife at the Count while speaking.

The count raises his hands in the air to shield his face from the knife.

"You crazy people... What du you zink I am, if not a 'uman being like yourself?! Or iz my pale complexion making you believe zose ridiculous vampire-rumours? Sacré chauve-souris, zis iz like Charis all oveur again..."

"This is not about Cherries. If you want the truth, I can say I don't believe those rumours myself, however juicy they may be. Vampires have the tendency to be dead, you clearly got hurt by non-magic weapons. Still, there are some odd issues with you, Shadeaux, such as: how did you summon those bats? Why are you only spotted during the night? Why are you afraid of the Light?"

As Guts spoke, he moved the weapon closer and closer to the Count, the tip now only being centimeters away.

His hands are bound..

Edited by Scubacarrot

"This is not about Cherries. If you want the truth, I can say I don't believe those rumours myself, however juicy they may be. Vampires have the tendency to be dead, you clearly got hurt by non-magic weapons. Still, there are some odd issues with you, Shadeaux, such as: how did you summon those bats? Why are you only spotted during the night? Why are you afraid of the Light?"

His hands are bound..

QM Note: You didn't say his hands were bound behind his back. :tongue:

"I said Charis, not cherries! Charis iz ze eastern kindgom where me and ma famille, Le Shadeaux, came from about twenty years ago. You certainly dun't know your géographie, du you? Alors, ze reason I was banished iz related to your otheur questions. Ze truz iz zat I suffeur from a very rare condition zat rendeurs me vulnerable tu several substances zat are commonly 'armless tu 'umans. Sunlight and garlic are but a few of zose zings. I get a terrible rash if I step outside my chateau during the day, zat is why my skin iz zo pale. Zere is non official name four my condition, but I call it Le Malheur. It 'as been transfeurred in my bloodline for generations, alzough not everyone iz affected. My père and frère were not, and neizer are twu of my children. Poor Bellanotte, on ze ozer hand... She shares my fate."

The count lets out a deep sigh.

"I used to rule a county in Charis, until the dreadful rumours of my vampirism started to spread among ze peasants. One night zey came, wiz pitchforks and torches, and evicted me and ma famille - my first-born Umbra was only a little girl back zen - along wiz all our servants from our castle. I tried to appeal to ze king, but 'is Majesty could not 'elp. Ze king found a new count, and I sailed tu my merchant frère Matinus whu lived in Eubric tu find a new fortune. And zat I have done. Oh, and ze bats, zey are my pets. I 'ave been trained as a dragoon, you see, so I can communicate wiz all dragonine animaux - bats among zem."

The count glares at the rogues.

"Iz zat enough four you, or are your expecting to find more skeletons in my closet? Trust me, zere are many, but none zat I need to disclose to whoever 'ired you. I realize now zat you are from 'Eroica, so I dun't believe you would cause me any more 'arm zan zis - ozerwise your Veterans would skin you alive. Now, untie me."

The count pushed his arms forward adamantly.

"Hah, I'm not with Heroica. And your story sounds pretty damn convenient, don't you think? You have all the symptons of a vampire, but you are not one? Count, I have no intention of killing you, you should have figured that out by now. Allow us one final test, we go to the Fountain, in this park, and see if you have a reflection in the water. Vampires don't have a reflection, if you have one, you are free to go, and we never have to meet each other again."

The perplexed count nods.

"You're ze one 'olding ze knife..."

Together the rogues and the count make their way to the Fountain of Three Gods, and peer into the water. True enough, four faces can be seen, one much paler than the others.

"Iz zis enough to convince you, or du you want to drive a stake zrough my coeur juste tu be sure? Tell me whu your employers are, and I'll make sure zat zey will know what I zink about zese kinds of tests..."

"Hmpf, what makes you think I'm not just a concerned citizen that wants to make sure there is not another vampire around that's roaming the city at night, sucking the innocent dry and leaving them in the gutter..."

Guts cuts the Count loose, with his throwing knife, but he makes sure the blade does not touch the Count's skin.

"You are free to go. And I suggest you hire a better security force, we had around 32 oppertunities to kill you, stopped counting after you went dark."

"If you zink I will be zanking you, you are sadly mistaken. Now I 'ave to go find myself some new guards..."

The count disappears into the dark woods of the park, while the party heads to the opposite direction. At the Invision Guildhouse, both Dr. Cula and Madame Ladybug are already waiting for the rogues to return.

heroicanpc-alphonsecula.jpg

"Yeth? Tell uth everything you vound out!"

heroicanpc-madameladybug.jpg

"Alphonse, please! Can't you just accept you've lost already, hmmm?"

What will the party tell the alchemists?

"Yes, good morning to you too..."

Guts sighed, and sat down on a stool, uncorking a bottle of wine from his pack.

"The Count seemed to have severe issues with the Garlic Spray, it caused him to get severe allergical reactions, breathing problems and coughing in general. The diluted potion seemed to work as it would on a normal human though, he did not have trouble with it. The holy bombs you supplied worked especially well, the Count seems to have an issue with bright lights, and light in general."

Taking a few large sips, Guts continues:

"After a long, impressive fight, the Count went down. I proceeded to tie him up, which is why you see me without mask, did'nt scare you, I hope, Hah! Anyway, when he woke up, we questioned him. The coward seemed afraid of my Light-Infused throwing knife, so I did not have to resort to more drastric forms of questioning, kind of a shame, really. Under pressure, the Count told us that he suffers from a rare disease that runs through his family, he called it The Tragedy, in his Language, picked some of it up overseas. But not important, point being: he claims some members of his family suffer from it, and it causes one to be oversensitive to a number of things, most prominently sunlight, also: garlic. He explained his trick with the bats by saying he was a Dragoon, whatever that means, and was trained to speak with creatures like bats."

A few sips later, Guts finishes his explanation:

"As a final test, we took him to the fountain, to see if the guy had a reflection, which he indeed had, after which I cut him loose and we came back here. We took care not to let out it was the Guild that hired us, although he did have suspicions that we were from Heroica Hall. Something to keep in mind, no doubt."

heroicaquest34-lab4.jpg

Madame Ladybug let out a tut.

"Hmmm, I told you so! Just think of the trouble we've put the poor count and these three gentlement just because of this inane bet, hmmm."

"Ah vell, you can't blame a vampire vor having a dream", said Dr. Cula with a sad tone in his voice. "Thith ith not a pleathant thity vor my kind. Jutht rethently my good vriendth Victor and Victoria were merthilessly murdered on their honeymoon. Iv only we had a thpokethperthon in a leaderthip pothition..."

"But, my dear Alphonse, aren't you yourself in a high position in the city, hmmm? You're the head alchemist of our guild, after all. Couldn't you become a spokesperson for the rights of vampires and other undead citizens of Eubric?"

The vampire alchemist's red eyes lit up.

"Thath'th it! U'lalah, you are a geniuth! I, Alphonthe Cula, vill make it my nev miththion to make Eubric a better plathe to live vor the living dead! Thank you, my dear colleague, and my nev vriendth, vor making me thee my true dethtiny! Hahahahaa!!!"

The vampire's laughter chilled the spines of the three rogues.

"You are welcome, but you still owe me from the bet, hmmm. As for you three, you have the gratitude of the guild for solving this issue for us."

"Oh yeth! Letht I vorget, here are the promithed revardth. And a little ekthra for catching that pethky drug dealer."

The alchemists showered the party with assorted potions. Dr. Cula even cut his precious Mythril into four parts, keeping one to himself but giving the other shards to the party.

heroica-grandpotion.jpg3x Grand Potion – Restores 25 health to the target.

heroica-grandtonic.jpg3x Grand Tonic – Restores 15 ether to the target.

heroica-elixir.jpg3x Elixir – Restores 50 health and 10 ether to the target and removes all negative effects from the target.

heroica-remedy.jpg3x Remedy – Removes all negative effects from the target.

heroica-phoenixessence.jpg3x Phoenix Essence – Revives a fallen ally with full health during a battle.

heroica-mythrilshard.jpg3x Mythril Shard - 1/4th of a whole Mythril ore.

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 15 Rogue

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental
), Throwing Knife (WP:5, ranged, retrievable), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Trendy Handbag (protects from whichever bad effect was last inflicted in battle to someone else), Shadeaux Shield (SP:4, unsuitable)Potion, 2 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, Mead, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Mythril Shard, Bedroll, Shovel

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 14 Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Double Chain Whip (WP:10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Steel Fan (WP:12), Longsword (WP: 3), Darksteel Crossbow (WP:8, blinded-effect, unsuitable), Loaded Die (permanent lucky-effect), Potion, 2 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, Mead, Smelling Salts, Mythril Shard

Guts Holla

Level 18 Rogue

Power:

Health:
24/24

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental
), Beholder's Eye (allows one round of battle to be replayed per quest), 3 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 2 Meads, Mythril Shard, Bedroll, Shovel