fallentomato

LEGO City is marketed at boys

I have a semi-relevant question. I've seen posts saying that Lego has done research proving that it's products mostly appeal to boys. Can anyone tell me WHEN (what year) that research was done?

If they did the studies anytime recently, of COURSE Lego appeals mostly to boys, because most of the products for QUITE a while have been directed at boys.

While I don't know the answer to your question I do have to disagree with your statement. While I won't argue that police and fire stations and police cars and fire trucks greatly appeal to boys, as do cars in general. That doesn't mean that the aforementioned wouldn't appeal to girls as well.

While I don't know the answer to your question I do have to disagree with your statement. While I won't argue that police and fire stations and police cars and fire trucks greatly appeal to boys, as do cars in general. That doesn't mean that the aforementioned wouldn't appeal to girls as well.

No one is saying that City sets DON'T appeal to girls. Of course there are going to be girls who like them.

Marketing is a numbers game though. A company has limited budget to spend on marketing, so they have to target the potential customers where they think they'll get the most "bang for their buck." If TLC's market research says that boys are the biggest buyer of the City theme (and I think it's safe to assume that's the case), then they're going to target boys in their marketing campaigns.