1. 1. Which is your favourite LOTR set?

• 9469 Gandalf Arrives
    • 9470 Shelob Attacks
    • 9471 Uruk-hai Army
    • 9472 Attack on Weathertop
    • 9473 Mines of Moria
    • 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep
    • 9467 Orc Forge

All very good points, but I think of those as more sort of nods to source material not really "icons". Being iconic isn't really about getting the details right, it's about putting a thought into someone's head before they're even had time to think about what details should be expected. In my mind, it's a bit like the difference between the way TLG handled Star Wars versus Harry Potter.

The Star Wars theme has a lot more "iconic" offerings where, taken completely out of context (nobody said it was Star Wars, there are no tell-tale mini-figures you just see the build), you instantly know what the source material was and it _makes_ you remember the films as a whole as well as individual scenes.

Star Wars has extremely distinct, recognizable vehicles though. This helps to make them seem really "iconic". It's pretty easy for Lego to recreate an X-Wing or Tie Fighter and everyone is going to recognize where its from. Not so much because Lego did a superb job, but because how many other sci-fi movies or tv shows have a ship that looks similar? None. In contrast medieval fantasy stuff has been done tons and while Helm's Deep or Mines or Moria has some distinct aspects to their design, it's much more generic in nature. How many round ruined towers like Weathertop, or castles against a mountain with a long wall like Helm's Deep have you seen in other media? I am guessing a lot more than you have seen say Millenium Falcon style ships. Plus they are vehicles which are much easier to recreate than entire castles or landscapes.

Personally I think some LotR/Hobbit sets are better representations than others, but they all still do a fairly good job of conveying the source material. Especially for the limited pieces and price points they need to be. Helm's Deep pretty much hits all the major features.. it has the deepening wall that can be expanded on with the stream and blow away section, the front stairway curving up to the main gate, the tower with the horn, and the overall shape and color of Helm's Deep. Obviously some stuff was excluded like the Glimmering Caves and the mountain, and some was scaled down, but this was necessary to keep the price reasonable.

Although it wasn't an option when this thread began, I have to give high marks to the Tower of Orthanc. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, there's room for improvement (4th wall anyone?). Yes, it takes some liberties with respect to what's on the inside. At the end of the day, though it really is "iconic." It's one of those things even people who aren't die-hard fans remember from the movie; it's a fun build; and, (for those into black - lots and LOTS of black) it's a great parts pack.

I was a bit disappointed with many of the first wave of LOTR kits for reasons mentioned in previous posts but I think they did a real nice job with Orthanc and as I'm (too) often quick to complain about the things that peeve me, I felt I should take a moment to give credit where credit is due.

Helm's Deep hands up. Closely followed by Uruk-hai army. Although they do look awesome, I'm not really into the LotR minifigs, so the "minifig sets" are not that important to me. But the sets... Wow, Helm's Deep is fantastic. And the wall from the Uruk-hai Army set just makes it better!

Mine has the be The Battle for Helms Deep, because it comes with amazing pieces for castle! It is perfect! A close second has to be the mines of moria, with a nice amount of figs and fantastic pieces.