Sign in to follow this  
Oddibossity

My Droideka!

gallery_101_23_281.gif

So here's my attempt on a Droideka. As many of you have said before, a combination of all three official versions so far would wield the best result, so I've tried that. Unfortunately it's not system-scaled, but I like it!

Here's my progress. Please comment on which features you like best from each so I can try to implement into a final version.

V1.

5924436913_fe8de00910.jpg

V2.

5924435847_d8559b0d1c.jpg

V3 (Current stage).

5924996464_26f16d9d8f.jpg

Rolled up.

5924997056_998642c880.jpg

5924996788_12a1c44202.jpg

My favourite :grin:

5924436211_c25da8ab68.jpg

As you can see, I aimed for a more brick-built version than the excessive clip-arms of the official releases, and I think the curves work much better. Plus, it actually rolls! Sort of. When the head bends down over its front it

reates enough of a curve to flatten out the black dome underneath for it to roll. Sorry, I don't actually have the dome in brown or even dark grey, so black had to do. As for the tooth/claw pieces I only had them in white. The

egs are the only part I'm really not sure about (apart from the obvious colours). I don't know whether to keep the same configuration or replace all the bent technic connectors with replicas of the back leg. That one needs

to be hinged so it can curve enough to complete the ball formation- it looks wrong otherwise.

I'll post a comment later with an LDD screenshot of my droideka in an ideal world where I have all the parts I need... but for now, here's my final shot: Jedi and co. battle it out against a supersized destroyer.

"Ohze tenoes! I is 'splodes!"

5924435541_2371ea8f83.jpg

Enjoy, and please give feedback. :sweet:

Thanks!

That's a nice design.

I think the plating needs to be a bit thicker, two studs wide instead of one. It might need to be remade completely, but the Droideka currently looks a little thin.

Awsome, its very hard to get the proportions right with small build but you have done a great job. Must say is the first Driodeka that I have see that can roll, never liked TLG versions as they dont roll up very well at all. I would like to see it the colours reduced from 5 to maybe 3 black, brown and dark grey, but I do understand that people dont have a wide variety of elements.

Pretty nice work on this droideka build Oddibossity, I could easily say I like your design much better than the standard ones released. A few minor tweaks in the colors of the pieces for a consistent look would surely improve this further.

Congratulations on designing a brick built one which can actually roll. :thumbup: Nice work on it, looking forward to the ldd version where the colours will match up. :sweet:

CF

Very nice Oddibossity. I like the 3rd one best, the way it can fold up is cool. Much better than TLG's attempts :thumbup:.

Great job on the folding feature, the design is far superior to TLG's recent attempts to create a destroyer.