Sign in to follow this  
bobasdad

[MOC / MOD] Galactic Peace Keeper

Recently, I was feeling nostalgic for my early childhood LEGO collection (which was sold off or given away during my dark ages); so I decided to order one of my favorite childhood sets from BrickLink:  the Galactic Peace Keeper.  I was a little dissapointed when I received it, because the "complete" set I ordered turned out to be considerably less than complete (to date, this has been the only really dissapointing BrickLink purchase I've made; but that's a different story).  Necessity being the mother of invention, I decided to mod the set into a more modern version of the Galactic Peace Keeper:

dscn5330.jpg
dscn5290.jpg

The fold-out wings of the original Galactic Peace Keeper were--in my opinion, at least--the only real flaw of the original design.  A mild gust of wind could easily knock them off of the model.  I lost them fairly quickly when I was a child; so it's no surprise, really, that the model I received from BrickLink didn't include them.  That being the case, I added a new--much larger, much bulkier, and much more firmly attached--pair of wings to my version.  Keeping with the spirit of the original, I wanted them to be articulated:

dscn5302.jpg
dscn5301.jpg

The original Galactic Peace Keeper had a pair of sensors (or whatever TLG called them to make sure kids knew they weren't guns even though they looked conspicuously like guns) tucked up underneath the printed panels.  I wanted to put something in that space as well; so I asked myself, "what would TLG have put here if it had designed the Galactic Peace Keeper a decade later?"  The answer was obvious:  flick-fire missiles!  The missile attachments fold out of sight when the wings are in the "closed" position and swing into firing position when the wings are in the "open" position:

dscn5311.jpg
dscn5308.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with what I have created.  It is--in my opinion, at least--an improvement over the original model; but it is still close enough to the original to trigger a happy sense of nostalgia.  I hope you like it as well.

Edited by bobasdad

While I don't like most old LEGO sets, I wouldn't mind having this one with the mods you made. I like the shape and features, I just think it needs some more "modernizing" to make it even more badass.

Thanks, Henchmen4Hire.  I agree that it would take quite a bit more updating to meet modern LEGO design standards.  I basically took a 1989 model and upgraded it to a 1999 model (I didn't want to stray too far from the Space Police I design aesthetic, for nolstalgia's sake).

On 6/20/2017 at 5:32 PM, danth said:

The best part about this mod is the wings won't sag after the hinge gets loose.

Or fall off completely (that's what happened to my Galactic Peace Keeper when I was a kid).