Murdoch17

Scot Nick inspired 8 by 48 stud Technic-frame depressed center flatcar with load

This car was originally a 7 wide model made by ScotNick, (as seen here) and was about half as long as the 48 studs long, 8 studs wide behemoth you see here. The Technic frame holds things together nicely, with the top plates being held on by pins with studs on the end.

This type of depressed center flatcar would normally hold turbine components or entire airplane bodies, but for my purposes it holds Lord Sam Sinister's car with barely any room to spare. Why, you may ask? I don't know, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

32751594135_d925cd6b2e_z.jpg

NOTE: The automobile is inspired by this build which was in turn a modified version of set 70911, (Arctic Roller) This model is Sam Sinister's largest ride to date. Why it needs to ride on this flatcar is anyone's guess!

32371401560_e82d868844_z.jpg

Sam Sinister's car fits, but only just barely. their is still a 1/2 stud overhang because of the fenders on either side.

32751594405_d022a7ce57_z.jpg

As you can see, the 8 wide model dwarfs the 34 stud long official 6 stud wide Lego depressed center flatcar part by about 14 studs.

32371401600_4525999564_z.jpg

The freight car by itself without the automobile.

32549578801_33b5328404_z.jpg

Two figures (sans tall hats) can fit side-by-side in the car, and their is space in the opening trunk for a briefcase. The model lacks the spring loaded shooters of the original 70911 set, and replaces them with the car's grille.

The LDD file for both flat car and automobile is here.

Comments, Questions, Complaints and Suggestions are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice work on both the flatcar and the limo.  Hmm... 8-wide. Thats a little bit of a departure for you, isn't it? How do you like working with it?  And does this mean we will soon start seeing a stable of 8-wide locomotives to go along with this? :classic:

12 hours ago, Rotundus said:

Nice work on both the flatcar and the limo.  Hmm... 8-wide. Thats a little bit of a departure for you, isn't it? How do you like working with it?  And does this mean we will soon start seeing a stable of 8-wide locomotives to go along with this? :classic:

Thanks @Rotundus I will admit that 8 wide is useful, but it's really just not my style.... I only use anything bigger than 6 wide for very wide loads, and don't plan on making any 8 wide engines anytime soon. :classic: Although, i must confess to owning a five-year-old 7 stud wide British Railways 9F steam loco (a 2-10-0 decapod). It was designed by Scot Nick as well, as a matter of fact!

Nice. I think you could probably stick with 6 wide in keeping with your other rolling stock.  The car wheels looks like they could hang a bit over the edge like army tanks when transported on flat cars.  You can also use 1x8 tiles as temporary cross beams to support the car wheels. 

d8921b2a02c816c6650adaecdb74d73a.jpg