Sign in to follow this  
RaptorBandito

Help with 90 degree SNOT

Hi All,

Forgive me if this is an easy solution.  I've been racking my brain trying to come up with how to make this work, but I'm still pretty inexperienced at designing my own models.  In the example image the red bricks are the platform, and the green bricks are a column.  These just represent an example, and not necessarily the dimensions of a finished model I'm planning.  I was wondering what would be the best way to attach the column to the walkway.  I've tried some different techniques, mainly using things like technic pin bricks within the core of the column.  The problem I'm running into, is I can't get the outside of the column to line up flush with the underside of the platform.  The closest I could get is having exposed studs on the column flush with the underside, however I was hoping there would be a way to get a flush meeting while capping off the studs with tiles. 

30500571754_fb5b8e0cab_z.jpg

Thank you.  That's an interesting solution.  I don't have many of those round tiles, but I think I could find enough to do some tests and see if I like the results.  Thanks for your suggestion and for the photo!

I have a solution that makes use of part 99206 (the blue part shown below on its own):

untitled_20161129a.png

LXF

Technically, TWO 2x3 plates can fit in there to make it more solid, and LDD will even allow it.

Not sure how strong the connection has to be, but here is a simple way using some modded plates with clips. Would allow the pillars to easily be clipped and unclipped and at least LDD says the tile tops are flush.

suggestion_zpstgin1zhv.jpg

Edited by clm

On 11/30/2016 at 8:10 AM, rodiziorobs said:

Here is another solution. I am not near my computer, so no LDD but the sketch should be pretty clear.

Snot solution by rodiziorobs, on Flickr

The studs on the headlight bricks will be exposed.

Hmm, if you swapped the headlight bricks for a normal brick and switch the plate that attaches the the headlights to that 2x4 with a tile to take up space, the brick should be securely wedged in there with just the one side and you would get a smooth exterior surface on the pillar.

Edit, better yet, if you swapped the 1x2 plate and the 1x2 tile with a 2x3 plate and a 2x2 and 2x1 tile it would completely fill in the area up to the smooth top likely eliminating any movement. 

Edited by clm