Sign in to follow this  
dr_spock

MOC: PRR Bobber Caboose

My little red caboose or cabin car in Pennsylvania Railroad terminology. Bobbers were simple wooden frame cabooses built in the 19th century. PRR made theirs with steel frames. That permitted their bobbers to be used in pushed service without being crushed. Their choice to use steel allowed their boobers to last well into the 20th century.

26822942563_c4202ee243_c.jpgPRR Bobber Caboose by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

They were called bobbers because 2 axles gave a bobbing ride. I guess the modern ride equivalent would be of the U.K.'s Pacer railcars. :laugh:

caboose2.jpg

Bobbers have a child's toyish feel to them. Maybe because many little children toy caboose designs are based off them.

Cute little caboose. :classic: Just shows to go you that it doesn't have to be big... Just functional. Nice work!

Edited by Rotundus

Cute little caboose. :classic: Just shows to go you that it doesn't have to be big... Just functional. Nice work!

So little but so cute! :wub:

I really like the shape and the two white windows on the side

Great work!

Simple, but very nice!

It reminfs me of the official caboose set from some tears ago.

Thank you very much. :classic:

How does this do at the back of a train? I find that bobbers, if too light pop off of the tracks rather easily.

It does pretty

at the back of the train. But it popped off the tracks after a kid knocked my train over. Stanchions and plexiglass aren't all that effective. :laugh: