Review: Monthly Build 40067 - Crab

7 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Not so good
    • Good
    • Very good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. What's the best monthly mini-build so far?

• The igloo and penguins
    • The log cabin
    • The turtle
    • The lambs
    • The kingfisher
    • The fisherman
    • The crab

Yesterday was the second Tuesday of the month, so once again, a monthly mini-build was released at the Lego Store! This month's model was a cute little crab. How does it stack up as a model, especially compared to the other releases? Read on!

Set Name and Number: 40067 Crab

Theme: Promotional/Monthly Mini-Build

Release: July 2013

Pieces: 37

Price: Free

If you've never been to a monthly mini-build at a Store, it works like this: you show up (with a kid under 12). You wait in line until they let you in, and bam, free model. You're not required to buy anything, but let's face it, you're waiting in line at a Lego Store with a kid. Of course you'll end up buying something!

It's not as though you can just walk into the store to get the model--there's a line. Most Lego Stores are in major metropolitan areas, so expect a line. We usually go to the Lego Store at the Annapolis Mall, and we try to get in line at least an hour before the build. (This month, we were at the mall and had nothing to do, so I secured our place in line around two hours before while my daughter played in the store. Score! I was first in line for once.) These lines can get long, and they're limited to 150 kids. Keep in mind, some families bring more than one kid! If you want to go, get there early.

I'll also note that the Stores sometimes do additional models outside the first Tuesday. For example, last month, they had a Superman model on the 3rd or 4th Tuesday. On July 30th, there's a mini-model of a grill, and August 1st will have a Friends jewelry box. I guess if you miss one build, you might still make a model.

While you're waiting in line, the Store will probably treat you to a Lego Club magazine (either the regular one or the Junior one--often your pick). You'll also get a card to secure your spot in the store, which your kid can write their name on. Here's a photo, along with something unexpected...

Crab007_zps10765e9e.jpg

Directions! We never get directions with the sets. Normally, the store has the directions posted at building stations, and you just keep the parts. On this visit, they actually gave us the instruction sheet to take home. I guess your mileage may vary.

Here's the parts for this month's model, as inventoried on the other side of the card:

Crab008_zpscb7d1a48.jpg

Not pictured: the spares we got of the switches,black studs, and grey cheese slopes (1 of each). Spares are nice. Anyway, there's a nice assortment of colors and pieces here. Of particular interest: red curved slopes and hinge pieces, plus two 1 x4 black SNOT bricks. These sets tend to have a decent symmetry to them: you get a lot of pieces in sets of two or four.

Crab006_zpsa476780a.jpg

Here's the body broken into four main parts: the main body, the top shell, and the two leg/arm sections. The arms are one step completed twice. The whole thing went together in less than 5 minutes, and probably even less than that since my daughter asked for help. She did try racing the two boys who she was put with, so there's a fun option if you bring multiple kids.

Crab005_zpsea208e4d.jpg

The completed model! I've put him with March's Turtle model for comparison. I really like the functionality on this guy. The pincher arms both move freely. The "switch" legs look pretty puny by comparison, but I'll give them credit for being functional. I think some of those hinge pieces with claws (like you see on a Droideka's legs) would have worked better, but maybe that would have required more pieces than usual for these builds. Overall, this guy has 10 points of articulation--pretty impressive, especially when compared to the Turtle's four.

Crab004_zpsdc2cb776.jpg

Finally, here's all the monthly builds for 2013 to date. From back left to front right: the Igloo & Penguins; the Log Cabin; the Turtle; the Lamb and Ewe; the Fisherman; the Kingfisher; and the Crab. They're all fun and different, but I think the Crab is my favorite one this year.

Here's how I'll score Mr. Crab:

Design- 9/10. It looks like what it's supposed to be, although I'd have liked bigger legs.

Parts- 8/10. A great variety of useful bricks, and in nice colors.

Price- 10/10. It's free.

Playability- 9/10 Yes! This thing is very functional, unlike some of the more static models.

If you want to build your own, Lego put the directions here. It's too late to get one of these, but if you've got the parts and want to build it, go for it. If you're not sure about doing a monthly build, I hope this convinces you!

Thanks for the review! I like these Monthly Models, but I've never done one. I really like the turtle, so that's probably my favorite.

Nice review on a nice mini set! I'd love to get some of these monthly builds but there's no official Lego store in my region :hmpf_bad:

The crab and the turtle are two of my polybag favorites...thanks for the review!

Sometimes you have to promise the neighbor's kids a gift if they go to the store for this build; that is fine with me. But it can get expensive!

They need to sell these polybags in the LEGO stores and online in the six months following the store build because most folks don't have access to a kid and a store at one particular time each month.

The crab is pretty neat, I wish I could get the instructions for the mini model of the bbq grill. I agree they should sell these as polybags later on for those of us without kids. I would like to get the kits, but kinda hate the idea of borrowing a kid just to do that, cause it means some poor kid out there doesn't get their Lego! (yes I'm the kind of person who thinks that way). But I do like the fact you can get the instructions for MOST of these online. I see a few brick orders in my future now........ :sweet: