LEGO Historian

A Prototype LEGO Set that never made it to production... as planned&#3

Over the years TLG made many lighting device sets. The first one was introduced in November 1957 that needed a 4.5V battery.

These lighting sets often were shown in LEGO ads being used as part of LEGO built models, but for some reason (liability to the company?) were never included in any LEGO models.

Well I was looking thru an old 1956 Norwegian LEGO catalog. Back then LEGO was only sold in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and (new in 1956) Germany.

And this old Norwegian catalog had something I had never seen before... a listing of sets planned for future years production. TLG usually just introduced sets in the years they were produced, but back in the 1950s Norway produced their own LEGO sets (via Oslo) because of a toy import restriction, and they did things differently than the folks at the main HQ in Billund Denmark.

Anyway... this 1956 Norwegian catalog mentioned that a new VW Service set (#1306), new VW Showroom set (#1307), and Church set (#1309) were going to be introduced the following year.

Well since I didn't know Norwegian... I decided to do some translation... and I got a surprise when I did...

This 1309 Church set (only time TLG ever came out with a church) came out in late 1957.... (and produced until 1962)...

8356015779_5fc598a6a3_b.jpg

Well TLG also had a new idea for LEGO... and that was the introduction of a lighting set using the power of 4.5V batteries (3 "C" batteries in the USA)...

This new lighting device set also came out in November 1957.... under the 1245 number....

8356013821_53d6702d18_b.jpg

This set had a simple 2x4 hollow clear brick with wires and a 1x2 white brick for inserting the cable into a building for.

So we had 2 sets introduced in late 1957.... a church set and a lighting device parts pack....

Well being the LEGO Sherlock Holmes that I am... I was studying the part of the old 1956 Norwegian catalog that talked about future sets (above right)... and I did a translate on the part that I have boxed off... I did a Google translate of the 1309 future Church Set... and this is what it said...

"Church with inlaid light for battery"

What??? I did some further checking... and found that set never came with a battery. And the lighting parts pack (which is mine) never mentioned a church? I contacted the folks at the LEGO Archives in Denmark... and they could find no connection to these 2 sets....

And yet there it was... tentative plans for a LEGO model set (namely the church)... that would have its' own internal light source.... to light up the church windows.

It was an idea that never was implemented. In fact no LEGO set back then ever had lighting. Why?? Maybe TLG thought it might be a safety hazard and liability issue, if they did so?

But the initial plan was to have a church that would light up inside... and at some point that idea was scrapped, but not the lighting device (or church).

There are even prototype lighting bricks in trans colors.... trans-red, trans-blue, trans-yellow and trans-green exist, and are very rare. These may have been produced as prototypes to try out a stained glass effect, but were never released into production. Likely some of these trans colored parts got out of the LEGO factory (as is often the case).

I bet there were some prototype models of this back in the 1950s that used this lighting... but those are long since gone....

For more info on LEGO lighting devices over the years (under many different set numbers), see pages 35-38 from my LEGO DVD/download sample chapter....

http://www.geminisys...chapter32v2.pdf

The next update (free to current DVD/download owners)... will include the 1309 Church set as a prototype set never implemented for this set.

I love digging up old LEGO history..... :wink:

P.S. The rare part in the church set was the 1x6 LEGO printed brick, and is known in 3 versions... "1762", "ANNO 1762" and "AD 1762". All are rare, and command about $50 each for a good condition brick on the secondary market. Rarer versions have the writing in blue, and very rare has the writing in red.

Edited by LEGO Historian

This was a interesting read, looking forward for the new chapter. Did also not know that Norway had a import restriction on toys as well in the 50´s. (Well ok before I started reading your book).

Great job on putting this together. I think it is neat that Lego had thought of a interior lighting on a church set back in the 50s. It just shows you how long the idea to incorporated electricity with Lego has been.

Wow I can't believe this, 50$ for a 1x6 Lego brick.

@LEGO Historianand here I am 10 years later: some time after your post, some folks found in Norway the 309/1309 set with the light clear brick and cables.  In the other news: 309/1309 glued set with the light was found in a museum, but sold once the later closed. Or at least that's what I found on the topic, sadly still cannot find a clear statement on the 1762 year brick.. dissapointing..