Sign in to follow this  
SirBlake

A Couple of Hot Rods

This was my first go at building more than a 6 or 8 stud long minifig scale car. I picked up the Monster Fighters Hearse, and had so much fun with the parts, I had to go grab another set. I'm severely parts-limited as most all of the LEGO I have is tied up in castles (and therefore most of it is is grey, lol), so please forgive some clunkiness of design in a couple places.

Apologies for sub-par iPhone photography.

Let me know what y'all think.

LEGOHotRodRoadster1.jpg

LEGOHotRodRoadster2.jpg

LEGOHotRodRoadster4.jpg

LEGOHotRodPU1.jpg

LEGOHotRodPU3.jpg

For being limited on parts those two hot rods are quite well done! I really like the engine blocks. If you can muster up a couple hinges perhaps you could add doors?

As a person who tends to appreciate the little things, I am very impressed by the use of a rocker plate for the steering wheel and dashboard on the white jalopy. I actually tried to use that idea on one of my own MOCs, but ran into complications.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!

Doors are a great idea, I'll have to look into that. some of those small hinge plates would be nice for that.

I scored some garage sale gold this weekend, and I've been working on some refinements to the white roadster. I'll post pics soon.

Very nice looking hot rods! My only complaint is the windshield on the white one, it looks too tall. The rest of the car is excellent though, and the black one looks like a real speedster :thumbup:

Thanks again for the feedback, y'all. (and wow to drdesignz yellow hot rod. I'm going to have to spend some time looking at that one.

I've taken your suggestions and made some improvements to the white roadster, and added a red high boy.

Roadster. I think it's looking much better with the shorter windshield, I just wish the window panes were clear and not smoked, but it's what I've got and it is an improvement. I also smoothed out the surfaces and curve at the back end, thanks to the new bricks I acquired this week, and moved the rear wheels out so that it doesn't have the weird recessed fender thing going on. Lastly, I added a cowl area to the body right behind the engine, more in keeping with it's Model A/32 Ford looks.

LEGOHotRodRoadster7.jpg

LEGOHotRodRoadster6.jpg

LEGOHotRodRoadster8.jpg

Now to the high boy. The roadster is build like it's channeled over it's frame rails. This one is sitting right on top of them, as it would be if you just removed the fenders. Frames are often drilled with holes, so I thought the technic hole-bricks worked nicely here. Body-wise, this one is more like a turtle-back Model T with it's lower rear deck. I added the opening doors here. I wish the door handles didn't stick out so much, but this is the best solution I could think of at the time. The engine is styled after a Buick Nailhead V8 with it's straight-up valve covers, and this one has a roots-type supercharger and carb with a circular air filter sitting on top.

LEGOHotRodHiBoy1.jpg

LEGOHotRodHiBoy2.jpg

LEGOHotRodHiBoy5.jpg

LEGOHotRodHiBoy3.jpg

LEGOHotRodHiBoy4.jpg

I'm really having fun with these. What do y'all think of the latest?

Your roadster looks even better now :thumbup:

The high boy is excellent too! I like your opening doors :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm having tons of fun working on these. I think a sedan is going to have to be next, though I have to go through the parts I have and see what I have to work with. I'd like the next one to be blue or yellow. We'll see what I've got. Black or grey is certainly easier, but I'm liking the color.

Hot rods are fun. I had some yellow pieces left over from my big hot rod project and a few hours to kill, so I built this little one:

7989056482_6e3a32c9bc_z.jpg

7989056526_abcbf17e38_z.jpg

7989050191_2f6d99da04_z.jpg

Hot rods are fun. I had some yellow pieces left over from my big hot rod project and a few hours to kill, so I built this little one:

7989056482_6e3a32c9bc_z.jpg

That's fantastic looking! I really like yours too Sir Blake, especially the updated white one! :thumbup::thumbup: on these.

Did some more playing around today. Fine-tuned all three of these hot rods further and built a chopped and channeled yellow sedan. I'll take pics and post tomorrow.

That is totally rad! Love the detail on that little engine.

That's fantastic looking! I really like yours too Sir Blake, especially the updated white one! :thumbup::thumbup: on these.

Thanks!

Alrighty, further refinements and a new yellow sedan.

The Roadster: Moved the cowl up a bit, monkeyed with the grille area and narrowed the rear bumper.

LEGOHotRodRoadster10.jpg

LEGOHotRodRoadster9.jpg

High Boy: Moved the front wheels forward, changed the front bumper and switched the door handles to revolvers.

LEGOHotRodHiBoy6.jpg

Hot Rock Pick Up: Added a cowl area between the engine and cab.

LEGOHotRodPU6.jpg

Now on to the Sedan: This one is chopped and channeled, and unlike the others, is sporting a flathead 4 cylinder engine.

LEGOHotRodSedan1.jpg

LEGOHotRodSedan2.jpgLEGOHotRodSedan3.jpg

LEGOHotRodSedan5.jpg

At this point, I'm all out of wheels/tires and steering wheels, so this'll probably be it unless I can score some more parts. I'm really happy with how these have come together, and I'll probably keep messing with them. I've hit the 4 major body styles, so unless I start making different versions of coupes, sedans, roadsters and pick ups, this is a nice stopping point for now.