For a while I have wanted to make a small 4x4 with independent suspension so as soon as this contest was released I went to work and have come up with this so far.

23162849870_f4737298b5.jpgIMG_5136 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

It has 4x4 drive with a center differential and a V2 piston engine.

23458666655_528f631ca3.jpgIMG_5138 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

The front suspension was inspired by Efferman's 11 stud wide independent suspension but I have to make improvements to the steering (working on that).

23376159031_8b7e56a62f.jpgIMG_5139 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Here you can see the center diff, the 16t to 20t hooks the front diff to the center and the rear diff is connected through the power ball joint.

23162856770_bf3d78f60c.jpgIMG_5140 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

The rear suspension is nothing special if you were wondering.

23162847230_d778720a57.jpgIMG_5137 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Money shot! :grin::moar:

More updates coming soon!

All feedback is appreciated!

Hope you like it so far.

Bye.

Looking good! Nice compact design :thumbup:

Looking forward to your progress.

Looks cool so far!

Personally id try to fit a bigger fake engine (dont think a transverse i4 would fit right?) and go for a lancia rally car style body (Delta Integrale, a martini livery would be pretty doable and visually interesting)

So far so good! Looking forward to see how it develops...and after that evolves into model B... :laugh:

Looks good so far! What are you thinking of doing for the B Model?

I think the B model might be a quadcopter using the wheels as fans.

Looks cool so far!

Personally id try to fit a bigger fake engine (dont think a transverse i4 would fit right?) and go for a lancia rally car style body (Delta Integrale, a martini livery would be pretty doable and visually interesting)

I tried to put a transverse engine in it but I could not figure out how to connect it to the "drive shaft"

I tried to put a transverse engine in it but I could not figure out how to connect it to the "drive shaft"

Yeah, looking at the front width i think you *might* be able to fit three cylinders and have a gear off the crank running underneath the engine, but im ignoring the liftarms/bricks on the side of the engine, and the height would be a BIG issue.

I think in most FWD/FE cars the engine is slightly in front of the front axle, with the diff connecting to the gearbox on the rear-side, and you might be able to use the crown wheels of the front-diff to transmit power rearwards, but this would make the front quite bulky, and eliminates the possibility for a center diff (meaning front and rear axle are locked)

I wonder if anyone has ever done a good transverse FE/FWD MOC, most big cars i see here are RE/RWD or RE/AWD or use longitudinal V8 engines to a center mounted diff.

Every time I'm impressed, how tight some of you can build - that's something I need to learn. Impressive build, can't wait to see the next steps :thumbup:

Sounds very interesting! I'll be following your entry closely then :classic:

If your B model is not a car, it might be hard to fit in some of those specialized pieces.

Yes it will! But I have a use of the differentials in mind.

Every time I'm impressed, how tight some of you can build - that's something I need to learn. Impressive build, can't wait to see the next steps :thumbup:

Actually I am trying to make it tighter to supply room for an interior, I think it would look weird it there was just a random steering wheel and so seat.

This one looks like some heavy duty vehicle! :thumbup: I wonder how it'll transform to B-model :classic:

Like I said before it is going to be a quadcopter.

Update time!

23483333592_7b934b4bbc.jpgIMG_5163 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Since the last "update- start" I have added seats, a (WORKING) steering wheel, and I completely redid the front drive chain.

23223966319_9c4c0dd96d.jpgIMG_5164 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

23223970709_d7c76756d2.jpgIMG_5166 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Here you can see the steering wheel and the gear that connect the steering wheel to the new rack and pinion steering.

22964826423_92b69547d5.jpgIMG_5167 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

This is how I connected the front drive to the center diff.

That's about it for this update. All the pictures are on my flickr account

Thanks for reading!

Looking very snug and compact-what sort of bodywork are you going to put on it? Also, that idea of a quadcopter as a B-Model certainly has me interested.

Looking very snug and compact-what sort of bodywork are you going to put on it? Also, that idea of a quadcopter as a B-Model certainly has me interested.

I dont know what body to put on it but I usually just start throwing panels on stuff and hope it looks good :grin:

Update time! :classic:

23728700271_7f5d4be5a3.jpgDSCF0032 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

23728702411_671e12c076.jpgDSCF0036 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Since the last update as you can tell I have done some bodywork. I have finished all but the rear and some of the interior styling.

23443179659_f16d42dd9d.jpgDSCF0035 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

I tried to go with a sleek look on the back with vertical lights and inward curved panels.

23811143865_90b4414862.jpgDSCF0034 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

The side is quite plane but I don't know what to do to make it look better. :sceptic:

Well that's about it for this update. Stay tuned for more!

All the photos are on my photostream.

Hope you enjoyed!

Yes it would but that would mean a complete body redesign to make it look right :hmpf_bad:

Also I realized that it had no windshield, how did I not notice that :sceptic: