Sign in to follow this  
dylanfarrow

WIP - Persian Blue Steam Express - 4-6-2 - Model T

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I came out of the dark ages (15yrs +) last year, saw all the amazing trains I'd missed (damn Maersk and EN) and decided to try my hand at a MOC - The new(?) pieces on offer these days are amazing! The following is all made up btw, it's loosely based on real engines and a bit of the LEGO Lone range train thrown in :classic:

"The Persian Blue Express is one of the fastest in it's class, with almost unmatched speed for it's pulling power. Shown here is the model T version, which was used to carry the King and Queen through the Great Western plains. Following it's retirement in 1910, it has since made a comeback in 2015 with passengers from the city wanting to experience the regalia and nostalgia of the past." - Longer story is also WIP

WIP, CC welcome please. I have a black clips and gold clips version. I'm learning towards the gold, although I haven't got any of those in my collection, but may well be brick-linked tonight! I've managed to build one side in bricks, have ordered all the blue bits I'm missing. I've also order enough parts to make an Emerald night carriage, so I'll hock that up when the parts arrive, before designing my own.

Black Clips:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-04-10%2Bat%2B16.03.19.png

Gold Version:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-04-10%2Bat%2B16.03.43.png

Front:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-04-10%2Bat%2B16.04.22.png

Cab:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-04-10%2Bat%2B16.04.40.png

LDraw version, sometimes easier to see:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-04-10%2Bat%2B16.06.35.png

And finally in real life!

IMG_1831.JPG

I built it in brick first, and then went to LDD, where I made some changes along the way..... I like the LDD file better than the brick built version now!

The PF are in the tender, and it works well going round the track. (not with those Blue pegs though, annoying friction) - The T.C.R.R is from the Lone Ranger, I've yet to print my own stickers!

Can anyone tell me how long the Engine of the EN is please? Mine is exactly two straight pieces long.

Thanks

Dylan

That is really nicely done Dylan. I have almost finished Bricklinking the Emerald Night loco and tender (missed the official set by a few years as well) but that is very impressive effort!

Cheers

Tony

Welcome back! Digital tools are great for returning builders, since you get to play around with all the new pieces before buying any.

To make the LDD version easier to see, switch on "show outlines on bricks" in the options. I really think that should be the default.

Also, no smokestack?

Hmm, that engine looks great, the colour makes it look special - and it does look good (and somehow royal) with this deep blue.

I didn't even realize the missing smokestack at first, but that should be added. A steam engine without a smokestack isn't a steam engine :wink:

As jtlan suggested, tick the "show outlines on bricks" button then you'll get a better image as well. You cold also render it with povray (but first you'd have to download it of course)

Now I can't wait to see what this is going to look like :sweet::thumbup:

Many thanks all :thumbup:

I like the idea of the smokestack, looking at some of the pics I've loosely based it on, it is clearly missing. I'm alo going to play with a version with steam rods, which I think can be optional.

Played with POVRay as well.... (old model though, without the improvements as suggested)

Persian%2BBlue%2BExpress%2BLDRAW%2B4.png

Looks good, except its missin the steam engine-y bits! Its not really a steam engine unless it has a smokestack and driving rods! :tongue:

-Robert

Looks good, except its missin the steam engine-y bits! Its not really a steam engine unless it has a smokestack and driving rods! :tongue:

Hey now, if it's an inside-cylinder engine, there wouldn't be driving rods visible on the outside, only connecting rods (and even then only if it had two or more coupled driving axles).

Hey now, if it's an inside-cylinder engine, there wouldn't be driving rods visible on the outside, only connecting rods (and even then only if it had two or more coupled driving axles).

True, yeah, but it does not appear to be configured as such. You (hopefully) know what I meant anyway. :hmph:

Thanks for all the feedback and positive comments. I've been busy working in real life, but I guess it pays the bills....

Managed to update with your suggestions, and play with POV (thanks to the amazing guide by CP3Owen!!)

Persian%2BBlue%2BExpress%2B-%2BComplete%2BLDR%2BPOV.png

Bricksmith only seems to have the 9v motor? But I've built using the PF motor, so the render is a bit off.

Battery and receiver are both in the tender, with the engine being able to be driven by either a motor in the engine, or how I have it at the moment with the motor pushing the engine. I've not had an issues this way yet, although I haven't run it for hours on end.

Best bit is almost all the parts have arrived to finish it for real!

Thanks for all the feedback and positive comments. I've been busy working in real life, but I guess it pays the bills....

Managed to update with your suggestions, and play with POV (thanks to the amazing guide by CP3Owen!!)

++SNIP++

Bricksmith only seems to have the 9v motor? But I've built using the PF motor, so the render is a bit off.

Battery and receiver are both in the tender, with the engine being able to be driven by either a motor in the engine, or how I have it at the moment with the motor pushing the engine. I've not had an issues this way yet, although I haven't run it for hours on end.

Best bit is almost all the parts have arrived to finish it for real!

This looks fantastic! The newly-added funnel and side rods really help with the "steam" look. Also, kudos for doing it in blue, as it is hard to do a blue steam engine because of the lack of windows. (Green is also right there with the windows issue!)

Keep on steaming!