Chills

Ultimate Star Wars LEGO Room

I've wanted a room just for my Star Wars stuff since I was a kid in the 80s. Two years ago my wife and I bought our house and it came with a HUGE completely unfinished basement. A blank canvas for which I was to create my masterpiece. After completing numerous projects on the upper levels of the house I finally started my basement in February of this year. And this week I put the finishing touches on my Death Star room.

The room is 15'x21' (~5mx7m). There are 5 display cases built into the walls. All of the lighting is operated by motion sensors, and I can also control them with my smart phone.

Between the two below are autographed photos of Darth Maul and Darth Vader.

IMG_7632.jpg

One of the signature details of the room are the lighted wall panels, which were very difficult to design and build. The ceiling is a drop ceiling, painted glossy black. Imbedded along the edges are 12 LED puck lights for additional lighting of the display cases. The ducts visible are actually the heating/AC ducts for the house. I left them visible and painted them to give it more of a "Death Star" feel.

The south wall holds the ISD, SSD, and Death Star. The wall itself is decorated as a Death Star wall.

IMG_7614.jpg

I made the Star Destroyer shelves myself. One of the easier pieces to build.

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

The Death Star is in a custom display case I designed and built. It actually rotates 360 degrees so one can see all of the details of the set.

IMG_7618.jpg

The pedestal holding the case is where all of the instruction booklets are stored.

IMG_7620.jpg

5 display cases that are close to being full. I have space for future Star Wars sets.

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

I don't want to fill this up with all 10 photos just of the display cases. You can see my entire collection in the photo bucket link at the end of this post.

This is the north wall. I also have a decent sized collection of SW figures still in their packages. The empty space in the middle is the future home of a large TV. This room will become a home-theater in which to watch the entire SW series!

IMG_7615.jpg

The doorway is designed to mirror the one where Luke and Leia got stuck in when being chased and Luke shot the bridge controls.

IMG_7624.jpg

And finally we have the lightsaber and Sith Holocron display. But wait......

IMG_7637.jpg

It's a door to a hidden storage room, where I have all of my LEGO boxes.

IMG_7640.jpg

I will be adding more detail as time allows. But that's my Death Star room. Now it's time to start building LEGO again!

Below are links to the full photo album and a video walk-through of the room.

http://s133.photobuc...Death Star Room

Hope you enjoyed it!

<Reviews above post in silent admiration. Realizes that words simply can't do justice to the awesomeness that's just been witnessed. Bows reverently and leaves>

WOW...just WOW!

Doing some work in my house, I know how much time and effort it takes to make something decent. But you just made something well above amazing! I tell you that every minute you put in that room was well worth it!

Every star Wars fan would love a room like that!

I don't know if you play with your Lego, but if I were you I would leave the room empty and use it as a playing room for yourself or your childrens (if you have any) I would put the tv somewhere else.

Unless you don't want them touching your collection, then just do a TV room :P

Wow! :grin:! Great job! The lights on the wall are amazing and I love the death star feel. I am utterly amazed by this amazingly amazing amazingness!

Your room is truly amazing! Every Star Wars fan's dream!

I like that it is not just a display. You have also customised the walls and doors to be Star Wars-like!

Holy smokes, that is extremely impressive! Even more impressive you did the work yourself. Now I know who to call to build mine lol. Superb job man, I freaking love it!

I love the Death Star wall. They should show that room on some HGTV show.

Edited by Schneeds

You have a very understanding wife! I think if I had that space she'd convert it into another bedroom or living room!

It's great to see a space that can display such a large amount of sets. Fantastic room!

Just re-reading my post and I have to add that 'she' relates to MY wife! :)

Edited by Robianco

holy lego brick!!!:)

This is really beautifull, and it's make with great sense of color, design and lights. That could make anyone wants to dig a hole under their house!:)

Fantastic! I love the iconic wall light design!

Very, very well executed! I wish I could do something like that to my Star Wars room... (I mainly collect Kenner/Hasbro toys and other SW stuff...)

Congratulations on this idea and the finished look!

A lot of admiring visitors are a given, I'd say!

Thank you all for the kind words. :blush: It really was a labor of love. When I started this I had never done anything like it before. I taught myself framing, electrical (we have to use conduit in the Chicago area), carpentry, drywall (which is so messy), flooring, and all kinds of other things. Now I have to find a new project to work on.

WOW...just WOW!

Doing some work in my house, I know how much time and effort it takes to make something decent. But you just made something well above amazing! I tell you that every minute you put in that room was well worth it!

Every star Wars fan would love a room like that!

I don't know if you play with your Lego, but if I were you I would leave the room empty and use it as a playing room for yourself or your childrens (if you have any) I would put the tv somewhere else.

Unless you don't want them touching your collection, then just do a TV room :P

I sometimes play with my LEGO, and the room is so large that I have space to also play with the sets with my daughter (when she's old enough). And she can touch my collection, as long as she plays with them correctly. :wink:

That's an awesome room! (Except for the SSD)

LOL!! Yeah, now I have time to MOD the Executor.

You have a very understanding wife! I think if I had that space she'd convert it into another bedroom or living room!

It's great to see a space that can display such a large amount of sets. Fantastic room!

Just re-reading my post and I have to add that 'she' relates to MY wife! :)

So this is how it went down. When we bought the house my wife said, "the entire basement is yours." SCORE! I planned the Death Star room and a bouldering cave (I'm big into rock climbing). As I created the designs my wife would comment on them... and the designs evolved over the period of a year. I started out with 850 sq ft of finished space just for me (the other 500 sq ft are storage and utilities), but after my wife's "suggestions" I ended up with 520 sq ft for me and she got a 330 sq ft room for her crafts; which is adjacent to the Death Star room. I don't know how she did it, but she talked me into a big chunk of square footage just for her.

She's very understanding, but crafty. LOL.

Edited by Chills

HAha I love it, that really is a brilliant idea, and one many enthusiasts will only dream of having!

Love how your wife essentially went:

'Yeah, basement is all yours!'

'except this bit of it. It's now mine...' :laugh:

Cheers to your wife for giving you some square feets :laugh:

LOL!! Yeah, now I have time to MOD the Executor.

A MOD won't be sufficient! Build Anio's or mine :wink:

<Reviews above post in silent admiration. Realizes that words simply can't do justice to the awesomeness that's just been witnessed. Bows reverently and leaves>

I think this says it all. Apotheosis of so many dreams... :bow_low:

Just incredible. Great attention to detail. Hope you saved lots of photos somewhere just in case you need to deal with insurance in the future. ;) That collection looks to be worth quite a pretty penny!