KingPixels

Bootleg Super Heroes minifigs - worth it or not?

hello all, long time thread lurker here. have really enjoyed keeping up with the latest info/newest releases as well as everyone's customs, ideas, and discussions.

i saw a few posts above that "ninja" set with the motorcycles, and since i don't recall anyone mentioning the pogo super hero figure and motorcycle wave, thought i'd share a pic or two for those that are interested.

it came as a set of 8, with arkham batman, red robin, winter soldier, gambit, black mask, killer croc, a shield agent, and a series 800 terminator, each with their own matching (sort of) motorcycle. overall the set is pretty average-- printing is subpar (especially on winter soldier, which is atrocious) and there's a lot of extra plastic bits on both the bikes and figures that needed to be trimmed off. these pogo figures were lighter in weight than other minifigs, have a matte look to them, and a sort of textured feel. i kind of like it, maybe just because it's unique and new to me, but wonder if that material is part of the reason the print doesn't have the crispness that we all expect. in any case, no regrets, mostly because i wanted gambit, and these versions of batman and robin, but that said, i'd still have a hard time recommending the set to anyone.

24251012389_d99d0869d8_c.jpg

24618771215_5b53ee2966_c.jpg

24323243620_c5c8e02ef8_c.jpg

The bikes are awesome, I have the Robin bike. Did you by any chance have a vent left over for every bike? Because, if you did, there is a chance that you put them together wrong. If you take the shell off, the vents go on either side of the black frame as part of the engine.

The bikes are awesome, I have the Robin bike. Did you by any chance have a vent left over for every bike? Because, if you did, there is a chance that you put them together wrong. If you take the shell off, the vents go on either side of the black frame as part of the engine.

Yeah actually, I had quite a few parts left over, vents included. I didn't get any instructions with them and just tried going by pictures I found, so not surprising I put them together incorrectly. I planned to replace the back vent with a 1x2 with a top clip anyway (to mimic the avengers quinjet bike). Thanks for the tip, will try that!

regarding robin's bike, do you have a link to building instructions for the bike he rides in lego batman movies ?

It looks like the death star final duel set is starting to show up for sale on AE.

http://m.aliexpress....star wars 10464

I've never ordered from AE before but I'm very tempted.

For those that have ordered from AE, what has your experience been?

choose a willing seller, don't take a dhl/fed-ex delivery to avoid custom fees and everything should be fine...

Where do you guys think is the best place to get custom or bootleg SDCC copies? I've got a Phoenix which I got from eBay which is bootleg, and The Collector from eBay too which is printed but I think he's printed on actual Lego.

Where do you guys think is the best place to get custom or bootleg SDCC copies? I've got a Phoenix which I got from eBay which is bootleg, and The Collector from eBay too which is printed but I think he's printed on actual Lego.

I think it all depends on how much you're willing to spend on a custom compared to a bootleg alternative. Christo has done Shazam and Bizarro which are both perfect which will cost you around £25 each. I also have a Bizarro that was made from the SY set along with genuine arms, hips/legs, cape and a head from Onlinesailin and it's pretty much perfect also but cost around £5 in total.

For Symbiote Spiderman I'd get a Venom figure then maybe get a head from Firestar Toys. It's not pad printed but for just white eyes on black it'll look pretty good. Alternatively Muddy River Minifies on eBay sells a pad printed custom which is perfect for £15 but you've got £10 postage. With the Christo figures you would have three perfect SDCC copies on genuine Lego for £75 which isn't bad.

SY are bringing out a Sam Wilson in their most recent set so add genuine dual moulded legs, arms and hair to that and it'll be pretty much perfect and will cost around £4 in total. The DLP versions is good also but he print on the grey areas of the torso is a little dark so I'm hoping the SY version is might and more accurate. Green Lantern SDCC is either an older SY figure in the set of 8 Lanterns or the Decool version. I've kept my SY version as the Decool can be hit and miss on print alignment. I picked up a head from OLS years ago so I use that on mine.

Black Suit Superman is easy. SY did a set which has a perfect torso. Simply add a black cape along with Zod's legs and genuine Supes head and hair and that is also perfect... in total around £5 for that figure.

Green Arrow I'd go for the SY version as the printing is perfect but the belt areas are brown instead of black otherwise you can pick up a Decool one and hope the print is good. First one I got wasn't great then I got a pretty good one but I kept the SY version and changed the hood, head and arms for genuine Lego.

SDCC Batman 2011 version is in a SY vehicle set and is also perfect. I changed the cape, arms, legs and head to genuine Lego so it was as much genuine as possible but it's pretty much perfect straight out of the box.

Batman ZEA you can make from a mixture of Decool, SY and DLP. Head and cowl I've kept from the cool version as it's double sided head. Legs from the SY version and the body from the DLP as it has the accurate printing on the back. Add genuine arms along with a genuine cape and baseball bat and you're done for around £7 in total.

Collector just go with the Phoenix Customs version but you already have that. SY Phoenix along with Decool head, genuine hair and arms and that's also pretty much perfect.

Nobody has bootlegged or pad printed Spiderwoman yet although you can pick up a digital print version from Poppunkymunky Customs on eBay.

SY and Decool have both done Amazing Spiderman so just order a couple of each and hope for good print especially if you can find them on single sale on Aliexpress.

With Arsenal you have Decool, SY and DLP to go for. Decool copied my drawing of the figure on Flickr so the back isn't accurate as it was a guess but the figure is OK. DLP didn't print the silver so I wouldn't bother with that one. SY have it in their set with Sam Wilson so you get both if you pick that set up. I always prefer to replace anything I can with genuine parts such as arms, hoods etc where possible so give that a go.

Have I missed anything?

Edited by Robianco

I think it all depends on how much you're willing to spend on a custom compared to a bootleg alternative. Christo has done Shazam and Bizarro which are both perfect which will cost you around £25 each. I also have a Bizarro that was made from the SY set along with genuine arms, hips/legs, cape and a head from Onlinesailin and it's pretty much perfect also but cost around £5 in total.

For Symbiote Spiderman I'd get a Venom figure then maybe get a head from Firestar Toys. It's not pad printed but for just white eyes on black it'll look pretty good. Alternatively Muddy River Minifies on eBay sells a pad printed custom which is perfect for £15 but you've got £10 postage. With the Christo figures you would have three perfect SDCC copies on genuine Lego for £75 which isn't bad.

SY are bringing out a Sam Wilson in their most recent set so add genuine dual moulded legs, arms and hair to that and it'll be pretty much perfect and will cost around £4 in total. The DLP versions is good also but he print on the grey areas of the torso is a little dark so I'm hoping the SY version is might and more accurate. Green Lantern SDCC is either an older SY figure in the set of 8 Lanterns or the Decool version. I've kept my SY version as the Decool can be hit and miss on print alignment. I picked up a head from OLS years ago so I use that on mine.

Black Suit Superman is easy. SY did a set which has a perfect torso. Simply add a black cape along with Zod's legs and genuine Supes head and hair and that is also perfect... in total around £5 for that figure.

Green Arrow I'd go for the SY version as the printing is perfect but the belt areas are brown instead of black otherwise you can pick up a Decool one and hope the print is good. First one I got wasn't great then I got a pretty good one but I kept the SY version and changed the hood, head and arms for genuine Lego.

SDCC Batman 2011 version is in a SY vehicle set and is also perfect. I changed the cape, arms, legs and head to genuine Lego so it was as much genuine as possible but it's pretty much perfect straight out of the box.

Batman ZEA you can make from a mixture of Decool, SY and DLP. Head and cowl I've kept from the cool version as it's double sided head. Legs from the SY version and the body from the DLP as it has the accurate printing on the back. Add genuine arms along with a genuine cape and baseball bat and you're done for around £7 in total.

Collector just go with the Phoenix Customs version but you already have that. SY Phoenix along with Decool head, genuine hair and arms and that's also pretty much perfect.

Nobody has bootlegged or pad printed Spiderwoman yet although you can pick up a digital print version from Poppunkymunky Customs on eBay.

SY and Decool have both done Amazing Spiderman so just order a couple of each and hope for good print especially if you can find them on single sale on Aliexpress.

With Arsenal you have Decool, SY and DLP to go for. Decool copied my drawing of the figure on Flickr so the back isn't accurate as it was a guess but the figure is OK. DLP didn't print the silver so I wouldn't bother with that one. SY have it in their set with Sam Wilson so you get both if you pick that set up. I always prefer to replace anything I can with genuine parts such as arms, hoods etc where possible so give that a go.

Have I missed anything?

Wow! That's brilliant thank you!

Do you get all the SY/Decool/DLP from Aliexpress? I've never used Aliexpress before.

Poppunkymunky is where I got The Collector from and it looks pretty good so pleased with their stuff. Have had a look for Onlinesailin and been knocked off my feet :O Street Fighter minifigs?!

Appreciate the in depth reply - it's a huge help!

Wow! That's brilliant thank you!

Do you get all the SY/Decool/DLP from Aliexpress? I've never used Aliexpress before.

Poppunkymunky is where I got The Collector from and it looks pretty good so pleased with their stuff. Have had a look for Onlinesailin and been knocked off my feet :O Street Fighter minifigs?!

Appreciate the in depth reply - it's a huge help!

I'm actually selling a Phoenix Customs Collector figure at the moment and if you like the PPM version then you'll be gobsmacked at the quality of the Phoenix version.

OLS are very good and their designs and print are cleaner than PPM but he does tend to charge a lot for a digitally printed figure. You can get pad printed figures for around the same price.

I normally order bootlegs from AE as they're cheaper and invariably you can pick up single figures now so it helps. Even if you buy one figure for 69p it gets free shipping to the UK.

I'm actually selling a Phoenix Customs Collector figure at the moment and if you like the PPM version then you'll be gobsmacked at the quality of the Phoenix version.

OLS are very good and their designs and print are cleaner than PPM but he does tend to charge a lot for a digitally printed figure. You can get pad printed figures for around the same price.

I normally order bootlegs from AE as they're cheaper and invariably you can pick up single figures now so it helps. Even if you buy one figure for 69p it gets free shipping to the UK.

Just seen a picture of it on their website.. looks incredible! Their Spider-Man is fantastic too. Did you pick it up directly from them?

Yeah I noticed the costs were quite high, so I'm right in assuming pad printing is the top one?

Appreciate the advice on AE.. will give them a browse too! I saw the Sam Wilson you mentioned so will try and pick him up then add in the official Lego parts where I can. I think the Sam Wilson and the Black Suit Spidey are my favourites from SDCC so far.. oh and Black Suit Superman (never have been able to find a black suit supes).

Once again thanks for your knowledge!

I'm still waiting for the set with the dodgy grievous, paid £3 so no biggie if they are really crappy!!! Try not to be too snobby with these new company's that come out might just find a diamond in the rough!!!

Just seen a picture of it on their website.. looks incredible! Their Spider-Man is fantastic too. Did you pick it up directly from them?

Yeah I noticed the costs were quite high, so I'm right in assuming pad printing is the top one?

Appreciate the advice on AE.. will give them a browse too! I saw the Sam Wilson you mentioned so will try and pick him up then add in the official Lego parts where I can. I think the Sam Wilson and the Black Suit Spidey are my favourites from SDCC so far.. oh and Black Suit Superman (never have been able to find a black suit supes).

Once again thanks for your knowledge!

No problem. Yeah. I normally pick up customs direct from the customiser rather than third party but it actually help being a customiser of the third party seller as they are often the same price due to a bulk discount and it certainly helped with me getting the Zebra Batman by Christo in my avatar.

It can take a while for things to arrive from AE but that's normally if someone thing pre-order and they don't tell you... you're in for a 5 week wait! I've had things arrive din 7 days also so it's a bit of a lottery.

No problem. Yeah. I normally pick up customs direct from the customiser rather than third party but it actually help being a customiser of the third party seller as they are often the same price due to a bulk discount and it certainly helped with me getting the Zebra Batman by Christo in my avatar.

It can take a while for things to arrive from AE but that's normally if someone thing pre-order and they don't tell you... you're in for a 5 week wait! I've had things arrive din 7 days also so it's a bit of a lottery.

Yeah I'm quite jealous of that Zebra Batman.. looks brilliant!! :sweet:

THIS IS MAD, right?!?!

Yes it is. I thought I'd spent a lot on mine but I could have got 4 of them for that price. It's nice to know it's an immediate investment and my wife is hounding me to sell it already but what's the fun in that?

has anyone received this set yet? what's the quality like? not familiar with the brand

http://www.ebay.com/...~sAAOSwL7VWntsi

I didn't purchase that exact set but I did get two other sets that have some of the same figures in it.

http://www.ebay.com/...LkAAOSwAKxWbiAu

http://www.ebay.com/...mIAAOSwLN5WhKPq

Overall I think that these are of great quality and price but I'm not too picky. Mine are just for display.

Edited by TK924

has anyone received this set yet? what's the quality like? not familiar with the brand

http://www.ebay.com/...~sAAOSwL7VWntsi

I'm still waiting for the set with the dodgy grievous, paid £3 so no biggie if they are really crappy!!! Try not to be too snobby with these new company's that come out might just find a diamond in the rough!!!

I received the first JR Star Wars set a few weeks ago

As you can imagine the quality is very poor, I only bought it for Jango Fett, Grievous & Luke Skywalker but wish I hadn't.......I cant recall whether you can see from the images, but Grievous' torso is just two standard torso one on top of the other, which makes it very lose and quite hard to have him holding 4 'sabers

this is the second worst set I've ever purchased (behind OK1031 Fantastic 4), and i have purchased every hero/star wars bootleg set released to date