VintageLegoEra

How to clean the Ship Sails?--Lego 6289 Sails

Hi,

I have this Lego 6289. The sails show some yellow due to age and storage.

Anyway to clean it and retain some original colr back?

regards

HI,

i tried to clean the sails with non-perfumed soap and it did remove some yellowish color, but some parts still have it. Is it because it has been long aged and will never go? or there is another way to remove this hard yellow color?

Thanks

Soak the sails overnight in a solution of oxyclean and water. Rinse with clean water and allow to air dry. When almost dry, iron them with (under a clean cloth to protect them from the iron) so that they are crisp and wrinkle free. My Black Seas Barracuda and Caribbean Clipper sails were yellow due to age, and they looked like new after doing this.

Ok....i put all the night in a cloth detergent solution,,but still the yellowish color still there...here we dont have oxyclean...we have oxy action by Vanish. is this ok?

Ok....i put all the night in a cloth detergent solution,,but still the yellowish color still there...here we dont have oxyclean...we have oxy action by Vanish. is this ok?

I'm not sure what oxy action is, but I'm assuming it's probably the same thing as oxy clean from the name. I don't think simply using detergent will work, you really need an oxygen based cleaner to see good results. I say overnight, but realistically 3-4 hours should do the trick.

I've been considering cleaning my old sails too. I've seen posts on it before, but have never actually followed through. I don't know where to pick up oxyclean since I don't shop at most big box stores, but I will assume it can be found at one of those.

I'm assuming that Vanish is the same as the Oxy Clean that I use. Just mix according to the instructions and let the sails soak for a few hours.

B005GI8UOO_img2.jpg

I've been considering cleaning my old sails too. I've seen posts on it before, but have never actually followed through. I don't know where to pick up oxyclean since I don't shop at most big box stores, but I will assume it can be found at one of those.

You should be able to find it anywhere, local grocery store, drug stores, etc.

lets see the results...:)

well, there are 2 types of Vanish oxi action: one for only white clothes and one is for all. i picked up the colored one which is in the photo

lets see the results...:)

well, there are 2 types of Vanish oxi action: one for only white clothes and one is for all. i picked up the colored one which is in the photo

Unfortunatey I don't have a before picture, but trust me when I say that the white parts of the sail were dingy and yellowed. I soaked them in the solution for probably 5 hours or so, and then rinsed and ironed under a white t-shirt to protect them. This is how they look now, nice and bright. You got the right stuff, the Vanish for whites probably has some kind of bleach in it that you want to stay away from.

rkt010.jpg

Awesome!!!....it worked nicely....:)

My sails are clean now and i am satisfied....i am just waiting for some parts to arrive and then i will make a review...:)