UniverseBoy

The bridge between design and building

Hi all,

I was wondering if other people struggle between great ideas (or concepts), and actual building it?

is it money? of lag of experience? or you just tried and tried and it always failed? let us know!

my own experience is mostly lag of money. despite of that i have designed a remote kenworth w900 truck. i cant build it yet:/

1393072397m_DISPLAY.jpg

I have seen his truck, but was not my 1st inspiration source. If you look on the intenet, almost everyone use the same style if you build a truck. This is because the bended bricks are proper for the kenworth. I tried different ways to build the kenworth. But it was to weak. So all the truck looks like the same unfortunaly. Sorry fory noobies english. I am from holland

Usually the money. I come up with something I like but if it ends up large or requires many rare parts (or in rare color), and I can't make it smaller or cheaper the idea often remains stuck in LDD and not getting further.

I'm trying to put together a Macross Valkyrie (based on plan found in Brickshelf) and I got maybe 1/4 of the parts needed when a few RL matter derailed me. Plus I got to pay about $60 for my youngest cat to be fixed and final shots next Monday (he doesn't know yet)

My big problem is that I'm a perfectionist.

I usually design models in MLCad and then order the bricks I need. But, inevitably, after a week or so I'll return to the finished design and go "Hmmmmm... I'f only I could shift that brick half a stud in that direction...". So I never get around to ordering the actual bricks as I keep on tweaking the design, never really being entirely happy with the current design.

my own experience is mostly lag of money.

Even if there is enough money, there are plenty of other reasons to stick to the virtual building experience, such as:

• Flatmates (especially spouses and of course animals like cats or dogs) that don't appreciate that hobby way of life and harm or even destroy your collection (e.g. by pawning them for drugs :cry3: );
  • The lack of adequate space to display the collection in an appropriate manner;
  • Virtual creations do not have to be dedusted;
  • Building virtually is fun enough, especially since there are no "rare" parts or colours; it's way more fun to be an architect than a brick mason. I mean, designing and constructing are the aspects that make LEGO really interesting, aren't they? The actual process of building, however, is but disdainful brick stacking, isn't it?

But you are right: Mostly it's the lack of money!