Meiko

Introducing Brickimedia

Hello everyone at Eurobricks!

Today, Brickimedia, a new LEGO fan network primarily focused towards encyclopedias such as Brickipedia, is officially launching! While some of you may have heard of Brickimedia before, it unfortunately went offline due to a data loss in June, but has been reconstructed completely from the ground up since. Today is the official relaunch of Brickimedia.

For those of you who don't know what Brickimedia is, it's a new LEGO fan network that includes Brickipedia, the LEGO encyclopedia that I'm sure you know about. Brickipedia was formerly hosted on Wikia, a free wiki hosting site, that didn't really work for Brickipedia. Wikia's interface was covered in ads and social features that disrupted reading and editing of the encyclopedia, which isn't good. To make up for that, 8 years after Brickipedia first launched, we've created Brickimedia, our self-hosted platform that has been built especially to meet our needs as a LEGO fan site.

Now, you may be wondering what this all means. Since Brickipedia is leaving Wikia, and Wikia doesn't particularly like that, we can't just delete lego.wikia.com. Brickipedia is now at http://en.brickimedia.org, but the Wikia version will still be up. Brickimedia's version has all the same stuff, and to help Brickimedia out, it would be most beneficial to use http://en.brickimedia.org and link to it when you use it instead of lego.wikia.com. Not too much to ask. :classic: You can also freely edit any article on Brickipedia now, unlike on Wikia! You don't even need an account, but if you want to make an account, or at least claim your username, click here.

Anyways, currently Brickipedia is updating all of its 2014 articles and making sure it has sufficient images. Bear with us for the next few weeks while we get things up to date; the new year has brought a lot of work for us to take care of. :wink:

Also, Brickimedia is hosting more than just Brickipedia. Some other wikis, which are smaller, include:

Also, if you're a person who likes code, Brickimedia's source is completely open source, built on top of the MediaWiki software (same software that runs Wikipedia).

Post any feedback you have of the new site in the replies, please, and if you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Permission for this topic's creation was granted by the admins on 20 January 2014 through private message

Awesome! Just asking a question that others may ask... How will this benefit the community over the wikia version, what's different, what's new?

Awesome! Just asking a question that others may ask... How will this benefit the community over the wikia version, what's different, what's new?

The editing interface is much better, the reading interface is much easier to use and less cluttered by advertisements. The site loads faster due to a rebuilt core. There are more development capabilities that allow for any additional things we want to develop, unlike on Wikia. There are some other things, but those are the most-important. :classic:

I hope this little bump is allowed. Hey, atleast it may bring more Eurobricks users to Brickimedia!

I created my account just the other day. I originally had an account on the Brickipedia on Wikia, but because that is dying, I decided to move. With help from fans like you, this could be huge! The site design already looks great, but we need more information. I cannot wait to start pitching in and help.