Hokie-Dave

Dimensions of the Lego 7939 Cargo Train

Hi, I'm obviously new here and have been wanting to get back into Model Railroading for a few years. What better way to do it that with getting my 6 year old son the Lego 7939 Cargo Train set. I'm trying to get ready for Christmas and wanted to make sure we would have a surface ready that would be of sufficient size to handle the layout.

I've searched for the better part of a few hours on here and google and could not find the dimensions of the completed layout that comes standard with this set. Could someone give me a hand please?

And I'm well aware that I'll want to make it bigger than just that, since I'm sure this will become addictive (for both of us :classic: )

Thanks,

dave

Hi, I'm obviously new here and have been wanting to get back into Model Railroading for a few years. What better way to do it that with getting my 6 year old son the Lego 7939 Cargo Train set. I'm trying to get ready for Christmas and wanted to make sure we would have a surface ready that would be of sufficient size to handle the layout.

I've searched for the better part of a few hours on here and google and could not find the dimensions of the completed layout that comes standard with this set. Could someone give me a hand please?

And I'm well aware that I'll want to make it bigger than just that, since I'm sure this will become addictive (for both of us :classic: )

Thanks,

dave

Hey, welcome to Eurobricks! There's a very small graphic of a suggested layout on the front of the box. The dimensions are:

124 x 96 cm or 48.8 x 37.8 inches

The length of the train is; 90 cm or 35.4 inches

Have fun! Joe

The box shows one layout that is 124 cm x 96 cm. In general the lego curves are just under 30" in diameter. Parallel tracks are typically 16 studs (or 5 in) center to center, straight track segments are also 16 studs long (there are 8 in this set). The two switches are 10 in long.

Thank you Joe and Zephyr. I looked and looked at the box before this post and didn't see it. I guess I was looking for a description a little larger. Now I know. Now to find the room for this set. I think that Thomas and his friends are going to have to give up their train table. :classic: Time to go to the Hardware store and get a bigger board to lay over that table. And the costs start adding up.... :grin:

Read the dimensions quite well when I actually looked at the box in my office. :) Wound up getting a great deal (buy one get one for 50% off) with the lego special going on this week. Can't wait until Christmas now. I think I want to give it to him early so we can build it and put it around the Christmas Tree.

You are keeping the second one for yourself, right? (grin)

Haha. No, I actually went in with another peorson fom my office who has a kid that likes Legos also.