LEGO Historian

Early LEGO in Central Europe

Your most welcome 4everLego.... I've spent about half a century collecting LEGO... and have always loved sharing my collector knowledge! :sweet:

Nobody.... there are a few things that keep me from turning this all into a book.... 1) 3000 page book is cumbersome.... hehehe.... 2) the moment I have it printed it becomes already obsolete... because one of the dozens of LEGO friends from around the world (mainly Europe).... finds something else that they don't know about in the LEGO Archives in Billund... and I have to add it to the next version.

By keeping it a DVD download several things happen.... 1) it becomes a living/growing document that will be free to current owners that already have this on their Computer desktop (PC or Mac) or I-pod, or I-phone... 2) I can keep expanding it whenever more items are available at no cost to those who already have it.... 3) the one time purchase price is about only 40% of what a one time book would cost. :wink:

I have been studying a LEGO Retailers Guide from Belgium and Germany. Lots of very interesting information and some very whimsical pictures of old LEGO scenes.

Such as some old images from an early 1960s LEGO Calendar....

A day at the beach.....

11051896336_2e56c918b1_b_d.jpg

Waiting for the prom date....

11051930834_e911ebfe6f_b_d.jpg

Little Red Riding Hood....

11051931074_fc777d2b8f_b_d.jpg

Raising cattle...

11051811675_af6b0baba8_b_d.jpg

Looking at the beach picture, I remembered something.I still don't know why 1x1 round brick got grooves on the bottom. 1x1 bricks of other type do not have groove, only tiles and jumper plates has the groove. Is there something about 1x1 round brick that needs the groove and breaks otherwise smooth pillar look?

Interestingly enough... (sigh)... I was around when those smooth base 1x1 round bricks were still in use... they had next to zero clutch power, although not every brick had that issue... perhaps it was due to them being made of Cellulose Acetate, and eventually they warped somewhat.

But they were remodeled in 1966 with a tapered base at the time they were used in the 325 Shell Station Set... where the 8 1x1 trans-clear tapered base round bricks that held the gas pumps canopy up were centered on a 2x8 white plate. Prior to 1966 all the old style smooth base round bricks could NOT be placed between 4 studs. But starting in 1966 this was no longer an issue. This seems kind of a trivial reason to start having a tapered base... so it may have been another reason (such as clutch) for the remodeling.

Also, in that image of the Little Red Riding Hood scene... that white construction in the left side of the image was window curtains. And that design (this took me a while to figure out)... was 1x1 "O" alphabet 1x1 bricks placed together to create that pattern... very clever! :wink: Also, I love the "Afghan" effect of the small plates used to make the bedspread in that image!

Edited by LEGO Historian

Just got some newer higher quality LEGO images... The German 1957-62 700 Wooden Box sets... you won't find these itemized like this on any reference site... :wink:

This wooden boxed set has a 2 piece Masonite top which has a 1950s Town Plan board scene on the underside of the 2 pieces (when put together)... German box types... upper left 1957, upper right 1958, lower left 1959, lower right 1960-62...

11569918814_b658d45dcd_b_d.jpg

Contents....

7785783002_b4b91468ff_b_d.jpg

Box top 2 piece Masonite board (Germany only)...

11570242705_8094d43586_b_d.jpg

2 piece Masonite board layout....

11570383833_74915410b4_b_d.jpg

Only the German 700 set has room for a 2 piece sliding lid in the wooden box (left). The 700 set of all other European countries only has a 1 piece lid (right) with no Town Plan scene on the underside.

9397536517_9f2dd80c0e_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well this post is a timely addition to the previous one of 6 weeks ago! :sweet:

There were 4 different LEGO 700 wooden box sets that were produced for the German market. And there were German language non-wooden box LEGO sets produced back in the 1956-59 era, but I was never able to confirm with any Austrians whether or not German language sets were also sold in Austria, or whether Austria, along with Belgium and Portugal (all of which started LEGO sales in the fall of 1957)... all had only "LEGO System" univeral box tops to their LEGO sets. ???

Well I just recently FINALLY got the undisputed confirmation that I was looking for. it seems that with Germany having German language box tops since they went online to LEGO sales in 1956.... that Austria just used the same box top designs in German that they used in Germany. While in late 1957 and 1958 Belgium and Portugal had "LEGO System" on the box tops... Austria did have "LEGO System im Spiel" (System of Play in German).

A German LEGO collector sent me this image of a 1958 box type with an Austrian (thin wood frame) box, which differs from the thicker wood frame painted German box (previous post image).

So I finally got the confirmation that I hypothesized.... Austria/Germany both used German language boxes before they switched over to the international "LEGO System" in 1959.

Here is the "smoking gun"... 1958 Austrian 700 wooden box set (with contents)... which still had hollow bottom bricks (the tube bottom ones came out later in 1958)....

12314724203_0c9a7b9c7a_b_d.jpg

(Ugh...I see an hour of Photoshop work cleaning this box up for before I put it into the Collectors Guide.... :sceptic: )

Here is the 1959-60 version of the Austrian 700 set box... I've had this image for some time, and up until now thought it was the first 700 set for Austria....

12314824693_5e519bfae3_o_d.jpg

And just yesterday I received an image of a 1961-65 version of the Austrian 700 set... from an Austrian museum.... :classic:

12314858513_83d888de09_o_d.jpg

That brings the grand total number of different LEGO wooden box sets to 87! :sweet:

Edited by LEGO Historian

@LEGO Historian

Hello, I'm sorry to bring up this old topic. I wanted to PM you, but as a new user I'm not allowed to do so. I'm also not allowed to post in the bazaar forum. I'm owner of Lego System 700/5 and 700/6 and want to sell them. Would you please be so kind to tell me the price range of these boxes, because I don't want to get ripped off? Their condition is not very good but o.k. (like the ones on the pictures in this thread). I don't know, if they are complete. Thank you very much for your help!