Hi guys,

I have been unsuccessfully browsing Bricklink for pieces to create one of my favourite characters in the Lord of the Rings. Given that many of you are experts in Historic Themes, I was hoping that somebody might be able to help me out.

This is a picture of Glorfindel as he appears in the LEGO Lord of the Rings video game. I have the hair and head and surely could find a dark blue cape, but I couldn't find anything that even remotely resembles the torso and legs.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas and suggestions!

Cheers,

Michael

pic1678060_md.jpg

You could try making a custom figure! I know some people are repulsed at this idea, but, in all honesty, creating custom figs can be one of my favourite things to do with lego! It is very fun and rewarding once you have finished. You should even use REAL metal for some of him!!! You can use a lot of stuff for figure customizing and it gets you to think outside the box and realms of lego to create something. And you know the best part of figure customization??? Once you are done, it is completely yours and no one else on the planet will have another like it!

That is my suggestion. Don't worry, I understand if you don't feel good customizing lego like this, but it really is fun.

You should ask in the Minifigure Customization sub-forum under special interests. Even if you don't want to 'customize' your legos, there are plenty of people there (most of them) who only mix official lego pieces and many are incredibly good at it. I'm personally with Bighappysmiles though, designing a decal for special characters like this can be very rewarding and look spectacular. I just finished designing one (my first) for Gil-Galad and Glorfindel is on my to-do list. That screen shot of yours will be very helpful.

Edited by Str0ngbad

It would be brilliant if LEGO did this fig as an exclusive offer attached to something. The only change I'd say would need to be made would be make the hair white. While in the books he's described with golden hair, I feel like white would better reflect the fact that Glofindel was resurrected after he died at the hands of a Balrog in the First Age. Plus, a silver sword would really suit him.

The only change I'd say would need to be made would be make the hair white. While in the books he's described with golden hair, I feel like white would better reflect the fact that Glofindel was resurrected after he died at the hands of a Balrog in the First Age.

Err... okay. I didn't know that resurrection had bleaching as a side-effect. I thought Gandalf turned to White for a bit more unique reasons. And you do know that even Glorfindel's name means "golden hair"? :wacko:

Err... okay. I didn't know that resurrection had bleaching as a side-effect. I thought Gandalf turned to White for a bit more unique reasons. And you do know that even Glorfindel's name means "golden hair"? :wacko:

I didn't know that about his name. I guess I am so used to BFME 2's depiction of Glorfindel with silver-white hair, and it really suits him. Makes him seem older and wiser than a lot of other elves. Plus, a white elf hair piece would be really cool.

I'd LOVE this as an exclusive minifig! I don't care what he would come with: book, DVD, blu ray, polybag, a new car... you get the idea. Shouldn't be that expensive to produce, either. Legolas'/Haldir's hair works just fine, so just a new print and he'd be ready to go.

That's the thing. A lot of people only need new printing with existing pieces, yet I doubt they will be made. I love LOTR, but I've never read the books so I have no idea who this person is. Even though I said that, I'd still love this figure in my collection. The more Elves the better. But only time will tell.

That's the thing. A lot of people only need new printing with existing pieces, yet I doubt they will be made. I love LOTR, but I've never read the books so I have no idea who this person is. Even though I said that, I'd still love this figure in my collection. The more Elves the better. But only time will tell.

I have read the book, and let me spoil you: he's a supposedly powerful (he never gets to fight in the book) elf lord of Elrond's house who comes to help the company after Frodo is stabbed by the witch king, right before the flight to the ford part. Replaced in the movie by Arwen. In the book, Arwen only shows up in Rivendell, and has no dialogue at all.

Glorfindel has some dialogue in Rivendell, then completely disappears from the story. I hear he has a bigger role in other Tolkien books and was actually strong enough to battle demons one-on-one.

He lends Frodo his horse, but doesn't ride with him, making Frodo quite a bit more heroic to stand up to the 9 Nazgul all alone.

Edited by SheepEater

I bet if you are patient most if not all of the main character figs in the video game will be available officially in sets from Lego.

I bet if you are patient most if not all of the main character figs in the video game will be available officially in sets from Lego.

I agree but Glorfindel is not anywhere close to a mian character. For the vast majority of characters like him, fans that really want them will have to do the best they can.

Glorfindel originally died slaying a great Balrog in the Simarillion but was resurrected. Glamdring, Gandalf's sword, was originally Glorfindel's sword.

Glorfindel originally died slaying a great Balrog in the Simarillion but was resurrected.

That at least is one school of thought, though it's worth mentioning that Tolkien decided these two Glorfindels were the same character only retroactively long after the publication of LotR, and as Tolkien didn't incorporate any mention of that unique case of resurrection into any actual stories, it's "canonity" is arguable.

Glamdring, Gandalf's sword, was originally Glorfindel's sword.

Close, but no cigar. In The Hobbit Glamdring is told to have once belonged to "the king of Gondolin" (i.e. Turgon), not Glorfindel.

That's a fantastic figure. I think I completely missed him in the game, so glad to see the image now. It would make for a wonderful official figure but I wonder if because he's only in the books not the films the licence would allow TLG to make one. It's a bit like the Tom Bombadil debate that occupied some of us a while ago on the main thread. Just like one of Bombadil, I would buy almost anything that came with a Glorfindel minifig based on this image. Thinking about it, I'd be even more keen on Glorfindel than Bombadil because you can make a Bombadil reasonably easily using official bits.

My only attempt at a 2nd Age or otherwise mighty Noldor has been to use Haldir with a gold sword and the king of Atlantis golden helmet.

I'm hoping we might eventually get the Rivendell cavalry from AUJ in a set; they are very in-keeping with how I imagine the elves of the 1st and 2nd Ages to look when they went off to war.

That's a fantastic figure. I think I completely missed him in the game, so glad to see the image now.

He was part of the second downloadable character pack. Aside from the bow on this picture, you could equip Gorfindel with an elven sword. I think it was white instead of the usual golden colour. I really dislike those swords, though, and would prefer the one-handed elven sword based on the blade carried by Elrond (second age) and Arwen in the movies. After all, the LEGO elvish blades only appeared in the SA battle.

In case you didn't know, Brick Forge makes a sword in that style.

Haltiamieli, thanks for correcting my mistake about Glamdring. Most consider the notes about Glorfindel's resurrection canon though it is debated I guess. In my mind if you only count what was published in his lifetime, you don't even get to count the Silmarillion.

In case you didn't know, Brick Forge makes a sword in that style.

Thanks! I did not know. The Brick Forge swords looks like a two handed weapon, as well, unfortunately. But I'll keep an eye on that website.