Werlu Ulcur

New to trains - #3677 on it's way!

Sure am! :sweet:

I'm already looking forward to my hext acquisitions :tongue:.

I looked around but didn't find anything. Has anyone ever installed lights in this engine?

Fantastic, thank's b'n'b! :thumbup:

AFOLEGODT idea solves my doubts about how to fit the LEDs in the front. I was sure it would be easy to rout the cable under the battery, but I was having trouble to find a way to stuff the LEDs up front; those L tiles are a perfect solution to create the space!

So ok, I got the LEDs installed and the cable routed, so I connect it to the second socket of the IR receiver. How do I turn the lights on with the remote, I have to use the second dial of the controler? But what if I'm using the controler for a second train on the same rail? Or will the lights turn automatically on whenever I move the train? Or are the lights permanently on? :look:

So ok, I got the LEDs installed and the cable routed, so I connect it to the second socket of the IR receiver. How do I turn the lights on with the remote, I have to use the second dial of the controler? But what if I'm using the controler for a second train on the same rail? Or will the lights turn automatically on whenever I move the train? Or are the lights permanently on?

The IR receiver has two outputs (red and blue) it sounds like you put the motor on one and the lights on the other. To turn on the lights, just twist the dial that corresponds to that output. Say that was the red output and the motor is on blue. Now you go out and buy a second train and you put the motor of new train on the red output (same channel as old train). Old train lights and new train motor will both respond to the red dial. In this case you can move the old train lights to the blue output (on top of the motor connection). Now the old train motor and lights will come on at the same time.

So if I understood right, on my controler one dial would control the speed and the other the intensity of the light's? And for a second train on the same controler, when I pushed the speed up for the first train I would brighten the lights on the second train and vice-versa? That, of course, if I don't use use different channels. Is that it?

And one more thing, about channels. I switch the channels moving the middle button on the controler, but how is it done for the IR receveiver? Or do the receivers automatically pick out what frequency the controler is using?

I've already ordered the parts (with a bunch of others :cry_happy:) for this MOD, so in a few weeks I'll hopefully be able to post my results.

The IR receiver has the same dial as the remote.

So you can choose which channel each receiver and remote are.

Both remote and receiver are easy to change at any time. So no worries about calibrating anything.

I'm at the office right now, so I don't have my train to check. But now that you said it, I think I remember seeing the numbers on the receiver too.

Cool, at least that is a no-brainer.

Any feedback on how is the operation of the light?

Very nice lights. I have one set of em and they are nice. Although I havent yet incorporated it into any train. I just dont like that there are 2 lights per strand. Would prefer one but..

Say you have two IR receivers within range of your controller, everything set to the same channel. Turn the red knob on the controller, the red output on BOTH receivers will turn on. Turn the blue knob on your controller, the blue output on BOTH receivers will turn on. It gets a little tricky though if only one of the receivers "sees" the signal (so you can't count on coordination if you were trying to get two coupled locomotives to start together).

Now as for your lights and your motor, it all depends how you plugged them in to the red and blue outputs. If you put light and motor on one loco on the red, then put light and motor on the other loco on blue, then one dial controls one loco, the other dial controls the other.

Zephyr, so I can plug two plugs (motor + light, for instance) on the same socket of the IR receiver? That would be ideal - as long as there is space, of course.

Yep, that's why there is a male plug on the top of the PF cords. You'll also notice that each PF element has at most one female connection. Thus making it difficult (but not impossible) to connect two batteries together. If you do have a tight fit at the IR receiver, you can use an extension cable to move the stack of connectors to a more convenient location.

I've run two XL motors off of one output, and separately I've run two train motors off of one output. Strangely, the pair of train motors will occasionally trip the receiver's over flow circuit but the XL's never have.

Terrific! My parts are still in the mail, so I don't have anything here to do a test, but that solves it. Well, assuming I can make everything fit in there.