1. 1. What Do you Think of This Set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

6963050430_46faea7943_z.jpg

Flickr Set

This is one of the few 2011 Atlantis sets, with the diver "Axel Storm" and a Hammerhead Guardian. Keeping in with the red vehicles and walkers, this set portrays a walker in search of a shield.

Name: 7977 Seabed Strider

Theme: Atlantis

Year: 2011

Pieces: 105

Minifigs: 2

Price: $9.99/£8.49

7019442287_d3c9c02f70.jpg

Defeat the evil Hammerhead Guardian to claim the treasure!

Walking through the ruins of the lost city of Atlantis on his powerful Seabed Strider, valiant diver Axel Storm discovers the precious golden shield. He transforms his craft into a sleek submarine to return the treasure to the surface, but can he first defeat the trident-carrying Hammerhead Guardian?

THE BOX

7977-1.jpg?1

I really love this Atlantis box art. With the famed underwater city faded out in the distance, the main scene in the front, and the gold borders. You can tell that this theme has real class. With the addition of a new underwater enemy, and a new suit for our heroes, this theme was going strong.

THE INSTRUCTIONS

7109124207_c9bb74f4c0_z.jpg

The same artwork is featured on the instructions, minus the piece count, ages, title, and choking hazards. The golden borders are slightly extended for the longer instructions.

THE MINIFIGS

6963055668_89b52e0647_z.jpg

As typed previously, this set features Axel Storm and the Hammerhead Guardian. Axel has the same headpiece and headgear as 2010's, but this time the headgear is in light bley. These two pieces are the icing on the cake for the fantastically detailed torso and leg prints. The Hammerhead Guardian has a sharky torso print. Each of the legs are also printed, with an Atlantis-like light bley square patterns. I like to think that this Guardian is an upgrade from 2010's shark guardian. The headpiece is a trans-red cylinder, and a hard rubber headpiece tops it.

INTERESTING PIECES

6963055754_6d503d1d3d_z.jpg

One of the new 1x2 plates with clip, a sand green shield with the (printed!) Atlantis triangle in bronze print, and finally a 2x2 cylinder with rough edges. All three of these were new to 2011, and all appear in different colors, excluding the shield.

THE BUILD

7109128987_3316197aef_z.jpg

The build is started with the middle of the walker. An interesting connection is used for the other parts, using a jerky hinge plate and a smooth hinge plate.

7109129017_7d3db9b2aa_z.jpg

These two parts are the engines, and connect the legs and the middle together. Two pearl silver propellers are in the front, and on the sides are two flaps.

6963050482_f8175762d2_z.jpg

The legs use a lot of red slopes, with sideways building on one side. The 1x2 black plate with clip is used to make the feet move down from the legs.

COMPONENTS

7119585361_b92d0f023b.jpg

The shield stand uses the grilled cylinders and hold the shield on the very top.

7109124019_994fb33168_z.jpg

The completed walker. The two arms are used two pick up gems. I find this a bit odd, as the arms only bend down a bit, not nearly enough to pick up something from the ground.

PLAY FUNCTION

7109124083_dd4bb49404_z.jpg

The walker's legs are bent back, and the feet are place horizontal with the legs, then...

7109124155_391c83825d_z.jpg

...the engines are pushed up, and the vehicle is transformed from a walker into a speedy-looking ship.

I really like this "transforming" aspect of the Atlantis sets. It reminds me of the old Alpha Team - Mission Deep Freeze sets, or like the Mars Mission MX-41 Switch Fighter. This Atlantis set's change is not nearly as drastic as the older sets, but it is still nice to see some ideas being made into new ones.

FINAL VERDICT

Playability: 10/10 (I simply love the transforming vehicle in this set.)

Design: 10/10 (Another great set from Atlantis. As there is no licensed model to take a basis from, this gets a 10.)

Minifigs: 10/10 (The new Hammerhead Guardian is great, and Axel Storm is a great minifig.)

Pieces: 10/10 (Some nice pieces in here. If your red collection is being depleted, or you just want some new 2011 pieces, this is a nice set.)

OVERALL: 10/10

As one of the few 2011 Atlantis sets, I would grab this set immediately if you see it on a shelf at a store. Who knows how long it will still be available! Also. this is a cheap way to grab one of the fantastic Atlantis 2011 monsters, and a diver as a bonus! If you want the set for it's pieces, it's still a nice set to get. I've found that slopes red pieces aren't very common, so it's nice to see a set with a lot of them in there. For a measly $10, this set packs quite an underwater punch!

Nice review, 'JackJonespaw'! :classic:

This is a great set. The PPPR is above average, the pieces are cool, the price is great, the figures look nice, and my favorite part is that it includes an orange crystal. I've been looking for a cheap way to get that piece in a set for years. :thumbup:

I'm happy I brought this set before it became discontinued.

Edited by just2good