LEGO Historian

Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide 1949-90s

When I think of people throwing away old stuff (such as old American baseball cards that were thrown away by the millions of dollars worth, by American mothers in the 1950s and 1960s.... gulp.... especially when a 1952 Mickey Mantle card fetches upwards of $10,000 in mint....default_hmpf.gif

With LEGO, luckily it was not so bad... but still mom's everywhere threw away many old boxes that are today worth a mint!!!

But there is one story that breaks my heart.... in 1967 the Danish version of "Boy Scouts" had a Jamboree where many Nigerian boys were invited to Denmark to participate. TLG provided each of the Nigerian boys a souvenir of their summer 1967 visit... a 1:87 Scale (1964-67) #659 VW Pickup Truck with the name of a sponsoring Nigerian Christian radio station on one side... "Muryar Bishara"....

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

And on the other side it said "JULES ORE JREN 67" (the name of the Jamboree).... (note: all promotional LEGO 1:87 vehicles (1955-70) are worth a bundle!!)

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

These came with a small rope-like keychain connected to the front (not found in this pictured example)... and most of these ended up going back to Nigeria. This example belongs to one of my Dutch LEGO acquaintances who provided me with over 50 rare images of old LEGO items.

And in the comments I mention.....

"Sigh... to think of all those Nigerian boys back in the late 1960s that went home with these, not knowing what their worth would be 45 years later! The boys probably played with these in the mud outside their village.... where we can only guess at their fate! (Although they likely didn't end up in the attic with uncle Oskar's stamp collection! ) .... unthinkable.... especially knowing that these will fetch over $1,000 on Ebay!

default_sick.gif (Speaking of Ebay, I just put my DVD "on sale" there this week.)

Edited by LEGO Historian

Here is a rare 1956 Norwegian Catalog. TLG was not happy with A/S NORSKE LEGO when they saw this. The Norwegian licensee (Svein Stromberg & Co., Oslo) had to change their subsidiary name to A/S NORSKE "LEGIO" that year because TLG didn't want them using their name along with non-LEGO items such as "MECLINE" cars/trucks, and other items. In this catalog it becomes difficult to determine exactly what is LEGO and what is not....

5032558608_0616843520_b.jpg

The real LEGO items were the Town Plan era 1:87 scale parts on the right side of the first page.... and all the 1:43 scale Chevrolet trucks on the 2nd page. 1957 was the last year of the 1:43 scale items. Although they are not part of the LEGO System of Play... these Chevrolet trucks command hundreds of Euros on the secondary market!!

.... again these are images from my LEGO DVD on the chapter on LEGO Cars/Trucks...

Edited by LEGO Historian

For all the Train buffs.... before there were magnets starting in 1969... there were train coupling parts... and they were kind of complex for kids.... (from Ben Beneke of Germany)...

7763299698_0095485893_b.jpg

And principal LEGO owner Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen showed up on this postcard as a child back in 1959 (just after the LEGO Photography Department was established that year).... nice diorama!

5529504435_9a78d4d728_b.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Here's a rare set from the 1964-65 USA Worlds Fair.... set #395....

7763338866_d9e6e488db_z.jpg

And it even has the Danish "Royal Warrant"....

7763355328_606b7241c2_m.jpg

And the Danish 1964-65 Worlds Fair Pavilion itself....

7763365540_7ae31ea436_b.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

This tiny little LEGO set was a promotional freebie that was given out in different countries, and they may have existed for all continental countries.

7763386408_3460dcee21_b.jpg

TLG also gave away a small set at their HQ in Billund Denmark. It had a box with the rainbow of LEGO colors at the time (red, white, blue, yellow, black) on the box top. At a later date TLG made this box available to SAS Scandinavian Airlines (with the SAS label on the top).

All of these promotional LEGO boxes are highly collectible today.... as are many of the food promotional sets such as the USA Velveeta Cheese sets, the Life Cereal sets, the British Weetabix sets, the Dutch Unilever sets (Unox Soup for example), the Dutch Chocomel set, the French Danone set, and many many others. In my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide, one chapter covers over 100 sets in this category, including all the Maersk ship sets, the Viking, Silva and Finnjet Ferry sets.

Edited by LEGO Historian

Lovely little boxes! Are ideas as to why some countries are 'highlighted' in red on the last one?

Lovely little boxes! Are ideas as to why some countries are 'highlighted' in red on the last one?

Yes... although that particular box dates to 1960 (the year TLG started putting "LEGO System" with "System" in yellow script), it appears that TLG had some older inner drawer style boxes (the outer box is a sleeve).

And the bottom of that inner box shows the "LEGO selling countries" of 1958.

Here's a breakdown on when LEGO sales began....

Denmark 1949

Norway 1953

Sweden 1955

Germany 1956

Switzerland 1957

Netherlands 1957

Austria 1957

Belgium 1957

Portugal 1957

Italy 1958

So by 1958, those red marked countries were the "LEGO universe".

Sales started in France and Finland in 1959, Britain/Ireland in 1960, USA in 1961, Canada, Australia and Japan in 1962.

(Info from Chapter 73 of my LEGO DVD - LEGO Sales/History by Country)

I'm coming up with a promotional logo for Toy stores (and LEGO Conventions) that will be selling my new LEGO DVD (as either a real DVD or as a download). This will be a counter top image next to a container with the actual DVDs.

Since toy stores show display images of only toys... I decided to take a different route, and show another image... yet an eye catching one. How does this one look?

Honest feedback welcome! default_classic.gif

7df01649d015e8c474c19a6a3ad4ca.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

So by 1958, those red marked countries were the "LEGO universe".

Ah, it makes sense. Thanks!

Since toy stores show display images of only toys... I decided to take a different route, and show another image... yet an eye catching one. How does this one look?

Great rose window, where is it from?

It is certainly eye catching, but I hope your DVD is not mistaken for a choir CD! :wink: On the other hand, in a toy store it could look just different enough to stand out. Make sure the font is big enough for LEGO to be read at a distance.

Ah, it makes sense. Thanks!

Great rose window, where is it from?

It is certainly eye catching, but I hope your DVD is not mistaken for a choir CD! :wink: On the other hand, in a toy store it could look just different enough to stand out. Make sure the font is big enough for LEGO to be read at a distance.

Hey Fugazi, thanks! In a toy store where it will be surrounded by LEGO I thought it would be an eye catching countertop display item. Several toy stores (Lasting Toys of Toronto is one) will be selling it.

I'm having a 2 day special on the DVD... I found the mint parts of the USA/Canada only #455 Lear Jet (1975) in my basement to build 5 of the Lear Jets. Am offering them free with a $29.95 DVD purchase... right now in my Gary Istok Rare LEGO Store in Bricklink.

In the early days (1960s) TLG made the same road signs for continental Europe, USA and Canada (even though most of these road signs are never found in real life in USA/Canada).

In my LEGO DVD I show the 19 unique road signs that were produced for Britain/Ireland/Australia... everyone's favorite always seems to be the "MOTORWAY M1" sign....

7488035036_865d547f41_b.jpg

Now... I find out that a 20th sign exists... the blue round sign with white arrow pointing left (same pair exists in continental Europe).

Edited by LEGO Historian

First of all sorry for the missing pics in this thread... I deleted some FLICKR images to stay under the 200 count limit... and forgot about the links from here... ooooppppss! default_sick.gif

In the early days (1960s) TLG made the same road signs for continental Europe, USA and Canada (even though most of these road signs are never found in real life in USA/Canada).

In my LEGO DVD I show the 19 unique road signs that were produced for Britain/Ireland/Australia... everyone's favorite always seems to be the "MOTORWAY M1" sign....

This is a great collection of road signs! They don't appear to be stud-compatible though, unless I'm mistaken? And would those be prints or stickers?

No those roadsigns were not stud compatible... that didn't happen until 1969 when the tall road signs with ridged poles came out.

Prior to that all road signs, these Britain/Ireland/Australia with the white base, as well as those sold in the rest of the world with gray (light, medium, dark gray) bases also could not attach to baseplates. I have an image somewhere with the non-UK type road signs with bases in 9 colors.

Well since this is my 100th post... and get upgraded from being a "VASSAL"... I thought I would post a historic pic from my Collectors Guide....

This image is from December 1956... withhen John Scheidegger (in the middle), the newly appointed Director of LEGO for Switzerland (sales would start there in early 1957), and LEGO founder and Senior LEGO Director Ole Kirk Christiansen (right), and his son Junior LEGO Director Godtfred Kirk Christiansen.

This image was taken in Frankfurt Germany. Godtfred Kirk was there to also pick up his father Ole Kirk and return him to Denmark. Ole Kirk had serious health issues, and spent a lot of time in the warmer climate of Germany. 15 months after this image was taken, Ole Kirk passed away in early 1958, at the age of 67, passing control of TLG to his 4 sons... with Godtfred Kirk becoming the Senior Director and mostly in charge of TLG.6229256662_3ff3b0f0d7_b.jpg

That picture of the rose window is from the North Rose of Chartres Cathedral 35 miles SW of Paris in France.

It was donated to the cathedral by Blanche of Castile, husband of the late French King Louis VIII who died (1223) while his son (St. Louis IX) became king at an early age. So his mother Blanche was Regent of France for at least 10 years until St. Louis IX was old enough for becoming king. The window dates to that era... circa 1230.

Here's where I use the picture....

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Here's a closeup of the first 24 colors that LEGO made bricks in. Surprisingly these bricks were made during the 1949-56 era, when they were making "slotted" bricks. This is from LEGO DVD Chapter 48 - LEGO Bricks.

Note all the interesting colors... several of which have yet to be re-introduced 50 years later!! default_sceptic.gif

7763435786_f553d10ae6_b.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Interestingly enough.... one of the things haven't mentioned in my discussions about the LEGO DVD/download... is the evolution of the LEGO Minifigs, Maxifigs, Microfigs... and all sizes in between... since 1956....

Here's just a sample of what's in the LEGO DVD/download related to the history of LEGO figures....

7777054110_25b76f4f18_b.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

When the computer generated 80h Anniversary of LEGO video was produced, the folks who put it together did their homework.... however... when you look at the 11 minute mark of that video, they show Godtfred Kirk Christiansen's 3 children playing with a Town Plan set... which incidentally was a 1960s version of the set, and not 1955 as they mentioned.

But what really caught my eye was the gas station in the corner of the computer generated image. It shows 2 red stripes along the top of the Esso Service Station (which was produced from 1956-65). But what was ironic is that the first station of 1956 had a box top made of artwork (not a photograph). And the artist didn't get it quite right. There was a red painted edge (hand work) to the white plates along the top... and this paint looks very much like red finger nail polish. However above that edge, there appears to be another red painted edge to the curving row of bricks. This was NEVER the case... just artwork that didn't match the reality of the final product. So the folks who put this 80th anniversary video together... they got the lower red painted edge correctly.... but because they were looking at a copy of the box (from the LEGO Vault) the upper edge was error artwork....

7812681328_b587b1dd07_b.jpg

Check out 11:00 into the video to see...

This image is from Chapter 7 (LEGO Model Sets 1955-72) from my LEGO DVD/download.

This should be made into a documentary film. It would be in a class of its own and most likely never be beat if it had as much detail as the book. Something to consider no? Im sure all of us in the Lego community esp AFOLs would support it. I certainly would.

This should be made into a documentary film. It would be in a class of its own and most likely never be beat if it had as much detail as the book. Something to consider no? Im sure all of us in the Lego community esp AFOLs would support it. I certainly would.

This is nearly 3 WAR & PEACE volumes... and you would like a documentary.... Holy crap! No one has that much time!! :grin: I know that LEGO architect Adam Reed Tucker did a speed reading thru my download... and it took him about 4 hours just to browse it without reading..... :sick:

I have to go back and find out which images are missing... I hit my 200 Flickr limit... and rotate images... but I forget the unintended consequences that has with images here on Euro/Ameribricks.... they disappear... now I have to repost the missing ones!

Rubberninja... I'm open to ideas... not sure if yours is feasible... but I'm all ears if you think so?? :classic:

Fugazi... I never did answer 2 of your questions... 1) that rose window is the North Rose of Chartres Cathedral in France. Chartres has the most complete medieval stained glass collection of any cathedral in the world.

The other question you asked was about those 1950-69 street signs. They were all decals. Some early ones from 1955-57 were sticker type though.

Well I'm going to hide this comment here... :wink:

I'm working on getting the DVD/download reformated as a book... no details yet... but a book that may well be sanctioned by TLG. However... since nearly 3000 pages is way too much for any book... it will likely just be about LEGO sets of the last 64 years... which is covered in about the first half of the LEGO DVD/download chapters.

So even if folks buy the book... the DVD/download will still be the "extended" unabridged version... crammed with much more information... :sweet:

Hoping for the best!

Gary Istok

I'm producing a 2nd version (1990s-present) of my LEGO DVD/download... coming out in 2014... along with a LEGO book!! ;-)'

Stay tuned for details!

Gary Istok

Well in addition to the Vol. 2 DVD download (1990s-present), I'm also adding updates to the Vol. 1 DVD download (1949-1990s).... and those will be available (free) to current owners of the first DVD/download.

Among those additions are LEGO windows/doors in orange from Sweden... and LEGO windows/doors in green, light green, sky blue and pink (!!)... from Norway. TLG Archives have no information on these early rarities... what went on in Norway and Sweden in the 1950s seems to have not been reported back to Denmark.

Also adding hundreds of other rare images that collectors from around the world have sent to me... the more I get... the more are sent!! :classic:

Both the current and future DVD downloads will have continuous updates that will be free to owners of the respective volumes. No reason to ever buy them again! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Historian