Sign in to follow this  
Sugar

Tahu the Red

Posted a similar MOC on BZP a bit ago and changed it up based on the critiques I received. Built a new head too since the ones I had at my disposal weren't doing it for me.

DSCN1371.jpg

DSCN1374.jpg

DSCN1376.jpg

DSCN1373.jpg

DSCN1372.jpg

Golden Armor found!

DSCN1377.jpg

DSCN1378.jpg

Facing off against upgraded "Biyera"

DSCN1379.jpg

"General Tahu" (He has pauldrons!)

DSCN1380.jpg

C&C please!

It's good to see a remake of a classic character, even if it's based on the Stars version. :sweet:

The normal Tahu has very boring arms and legs, but I was pleasantly surprised by the final Golden General version, which looks great. Good job achieving that with only standard Hero Factory parts and no TECHNIC (aside from the head).

Tahu usually has mechanical orange limbs, so it looks strange for this version to have neither. I think the MOC would be improved if you reintroduced at least one feature. You could use more small TECHNIC pieces to make the arms more mechanical while still in red, seeing as orange Hero Factory pieces aren't quite in ample supply yet.

The head looks very strange from the sides, but from the front it serves it's purpose. Tahu's eyes should be pink though, even if you need to use solid pink bricks/pieces to achieve it. :tongue:

Check if your camera has a macro option, to remove the blur of your closer photos.

Woah! I've been expecting someone to do this for some time.. now it's here.

Tahu looks good overall, I do like the use of the claw-cladding as the chestpiece, very nice. Well armored all over, just like the original Tahu(s). The lack of orange bugs me a bit, as it was one of the Toa of Fire's main colors, and the orange helped make him who he was in my mind, a fiery, hotheaded protector.

There's another issue I'd like to discuss. While the head looks great, at a proper height and not all squashed against the torso armor, any view but the front looks awkward. I do admire that you went for something original, but it needs a little fine-tuning. System bricks should help with this. How, I wouldn't know.

The Gold Armor and shoulderpads in the last picture look good.. looks more leader-like for some reason, at least to me anyway.

I do like this representation of Tahu.. again, it just needs a little work.

-Cirkit

The lack of orange was something I had to get over as well when putting it together as I had the original Mata version on hand to compare. I have very few orange pieces and zero HF ones, and my secondary goal in making a current set styled Tahu was to also make it something you could find on a shelf. The head design does need working out with how far it comes out the back (maybe the hand-joints with the axle connection vertical would work, just I have none) but I was happy with how the eyes came out. As for the color I have no trans pink pieces that would work, and the Stars version (sadly) had green. I'll definitely be reworking the head, go for a more custom body build next time around, and hopefully get my hands on some orange and trans pink pieces.

Thanks for the comments!