Brickdoctor

REVIEW: 10194 Emerald Night

115 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

2. 2. Would you recommend this set to a new LEGO Trains fan?

Better say sorry for reviving such an old topic for that question peter_m!!! I'll kindly ask brickdoctor to fix the first link in his post, but please read the rules and don't revive very old threads of 2 years of older unless there is a good reason for it.

In case of old topics Guidelines refer to http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19004&st=25#entry776009

3. LEGO reviews don't date. Thus if you have something relevant to say then feel free to post in a topic, but if it's more than a few months old please make sure it's good.... and if it's been a few years it better be really good! For example, if you liked the review or set and want to say so you probably shouldn't. If you've got an answer to a question (such as "Does anyone have pictures of the alternate model?) then by all means post! What you shouldn't do is ask questions to the original poster; he/she may not even visit EB any more.

"LEGO reviews don't date", so I thought it would be good to put this question here, as in my opinion it did not deserve a separate topic. Also it was addressed to everyone, not to anyone in particular (e.g. original poster).

I'm not going to discuss it here with you further, but you forgot to read the whole line: "Thus if you have something relevant to say then feel free to post in a topic, but if it's more than a few months old please make sure it's good.... and if it's been a few years it better be really good! For example, if you liked the review or set and want to say so you probably shouldn't. If you've got an answer to a question (such as "Does anyone have pictures of the alternate model?) then by all means post! What you shouldn't do is ask questions to the original poster; he/she may not even visit EB any more." That was the exact problem in this case. But I'll try to set a good example and help to fuse the discussion.

I would not spend that much on the Emerald Night but I made my own design also based on the 7750 and idea's of others that I like much better. I have 2x Emerald Night and 1x the Emerald Night MOD in Black and Red (like the old German Baureihe sets). I like the idea of the Emerald, but not the fact that it doesn't have good driving aspects and also not the fact that the XL motor fills the whole cabin so I leave them static on my layouts (and then children ask, why don't you let that one run, etc...). For 200$ a MOD/MOC is very doable and thus I would prefer that. Of course other may very well differ on that opinion. I'm working on the original that the EN was based on: the Flying Scotsman.

I have added an addition for the Emerald Night. Hope to put them on my own train this week:

IMG_0620-e1436779118349.png

I hate to say it, but the decals are wrong on that custom sticker sheet - the letter shadowing should be to the bottom-right, whereas the shadows on that decal sheet are to the bottom-left. I also think the font might be slightly different - it's most noticable on the numbers, which seem 'sharper' than they ought to be.