Warhorse47

Need help with wedge pieces

This will be an easy one fro some of you, But I am new to Legos again. I need to build a "sandwich" of plates with 2 bricks in between. So from the top down would be plate, brick, brick, plate. The wedge cut pieces such as the 12x6, 6x3 and then the bricks, which seem to run 3x2 etc. which ones are cut on the same angle to match up? Thanks in advance, Kevin

Edited by Warhorse47

This will be an easy one fro some of you, But I am new to Legos again. I need to build a "sandwich" of plates with 2 bricks in between. So from the top down would be plate, brick, brick, plate. The wedge cut pieces such as the 12x6, 6x3 and then the bricks, which seem to run 3x2 etc. which ones are cut on the same angle to match up? Thanks in advance, Kevin

Somebody has not been paying attention in maths class :wink:

The 6x3 wedge plates have the same angle as the 3x2 bricks (as do 3x2 wedge plates obviously). Similarly, 2x4 wedge plates give the same angle as 2x4 bricks.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Of course if you're one of those people who finds maths tricky, you could always download Lego Digital Designer and have a play around with pieces to see which ones fit the way you'd like.

Somebody has not been paying attention in maths class :wink:

The 6x3 wedge plates have the same angle as the 3x2 bricks (as do 3x2 wedge plates obviously). Similarly, 2x4 wedge plates give the same angle as 4x2 bricks.

Cheers,

Ralph

Hi I'm trying to follow what you are talking about but I'm struggling, any chance you could put up pictures of the parts you are referring too as at the moment what you are saying doesn't totally make sense to me.

Cheers

D

Hi I'm trying to follow what you are talking about but I'm struggling, any chance you could put up pictures of the parts you are referring too as at the moment what you are saying doesn't totally make sense to me.

2 x 3 Wedge brick

6565.gif

2 x 4 Wedge brick

41768.gif

Bricklink listing of all wedge bricks.

2 x 3 Wedge plate

43723.gif

2 x 4 Wedge plate

41770.gif

3 x 6 Wedge plate

54384.gif

Bricklink listing of all wedge plates.

Cheers

D

A 2x3 wedge plate is simply 1/3 of the height of a 2x3 wedge brick, and similarly, a 2x4 wedge plate is simply 1/3 of the height of a 2x4 wedge brick. The diagonal of a 3x6 wedge plate is the same as two 2x3 wedge plates adjacent to each other. I made a little picture illustrating this:

post-309-131322886139.jpg

Cheers,

Ralph

Cheers Ralph

It was actually your comment about paying attention in Maths class that confused me because the description of the pieces doesn't give the correct angles Mathematically.

You said "The 6x3 wedge plates have the same angle as the 3x2 bricks". So I was thinking about 6x3 & 3x2 triangles, which do not have the same angles, now that I have seen the pieces I see that they are not triangles but infact trapeziums and the triangle parts actually have dimensions 6x2 & 3x1 which do have the same angles.

I feel better having figured that out, it was making my brain hurt, I don't like not understanding something said after a comment about not paying attention in Maths class, now that I know the part descriptions are not Mathematically helpful for calculating angles I feel much better and can now relax.

Cheers

D

Cheers Ralph

It was actually your comment about paying attention in Maths class that confused me because the description of the pieces doesn't give the correct angles Mathematically.

You said "The 6x3 wedge plates have the same angle as the 3x2 bricks". So I was thinking about 6x3 & 3x2 triangles, which do not have the same angles, now that I have seen the pieces I see that they are not triangles but infact trapeziums and the triangle parts actually have dimensions 6x2 & 3x1 which do have the same angles.

I feel better having figured that out, it was making my brain hurt, I don't like not understanding something said after a comment about not paying attention in Maths class, now that I know the part descriptions are not Mathematically helpful for calculating angles I feel much better and can now relax.

Cheers

D

OK. Sorry. This seemed completely obvious to me by just looking at them, but indeed, the parts descriptions are misleading. The 3x2 wedge plate has a right-angled triangle with sides 1 and 3, while the 6x3 wedge plate has a right angled triangle with sides 2 and 6 and these are similar triangles. Even the 12x6 wedge plate has the same angle, because it makes a 3 x 9 triangle.

Cheers,

Ralph

Okay, to add a little more confusion to this, have either of you worked with the 6x12 wedge plate that has one end 3 wide then tapers from there? There is a 3x3 section, then a 3x4 section, 3x5, then 3x6 on the studs showing. Would the 2x3 or 2x4 wedges match this beast?

Okay, to add a little more confusion to this, have either of you worked with the 6x12 wedge plate that has one end 3 wide then tapers from there? There is a 3x3 section, then a 3x4 section, 3x5, then 3x6 on the studs showing. Would the 2x3 or 2x4 wedges match this beast?

That sounds like the 12x6 wedge plate I mentioned earlier. It should be a perfect match for the 3x2 wedge bricks.

Cheers,

Ralph