Sign in to follow this  
T_Tank

Volkswagen bug suspension help

Hello everyone I've been tinkering around with making a Volkswagen type1 (bug) chassi an am having a hard time figuring how to make a more sturdy an reliable front suspension on it while keeping to the way VW did it in the real world. 82.jpg

Here is what I have so far with my MOC.

Photo0454.jpg

Photo0451.jpg

Photo0450.jpg

Photo0449.jpg

Here is some pics of the rear suspension (swing axles) an the engine

Photo0455.jpg

Photo0457.jpg

Photo0456.jpg

The steering mode remembers me old sets with flex system used to create a working steering.

I'm not familiar with the flex system you speak of but at the moment the front end sways apart under load an need some suggestions on reinforcing or redesign of the front end to still look an work like the real counter part but be able to be more durable for a body an PF parts.

First:

I love the way you build the thing so far. Good and accurate detailing :thumbup: :thumbup:

The original beetle had sort of torque (?) axles. I am not sure I am using the right word here.

Me too, I tried too make a similar front suspension by using a standard axle trough some arms. Where one end was connected -fixed- to a liftarm thin, like this one:

2825.gif

Whilst the other end was connected -fixed- to the chassis. Thus creating torsion on the axle.

When creating a bigger model, such as an PF one, the axle snaps.

This is a classic beetle front axle:

tach_balljointbeam_01.jpg

You could try to convert it into the 1302 or 1303 ("Super Beetle"). As of 1972, which used McPherson front suspension. This is easier to recreate of course :laugh:

MacPh.JPG

I gave up trying and finally I used a more or less standard suspension on my version..

Note: You probably know that swing axles where only used on automatic transmission beetles? The standard shifters used axle beam at the rear.. (in case you want to stick to 'as close to the original as possible :wink: )

And the tile "grille whit groove" should actually be located a little below the engine at the valve 'pushers'( what 's it called?). But now I am probably a bore :grin:

The engine you created is actually a gem!

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but you might want to simplify things and adapt the geometry/size of 8048's front suspension:

8048-1.jpg

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. @bord4kop I have a 1968 vw bug in RL that has swing axles on the rear though its a standard manual, according to one VW tech they said 1968 was the final year for swing axles. I'd would go with making a super beetle front end with IRS rear axles but then it wouldn't be like my own bug an that be to easy <,<. An thanks for the compliment on the engine I guess you could say the tiles are some sort of very narrow external oil cooler for the engine, I had fun putting together the motor was a lot of fun need to get some bands for the crank pulley to run the generator around on the back. @VLMN8R I could try that but the only set I have with those front suspension parts is my rebel wrecker an I have sworn to never take apart that set!(Its a set I have wanted since I was a child).

edit

--------

Some updates

+Return to center steering based off sheepo's designs

Photo0502.jpg

Photo0510.jpg

+Front suspension reworked some (using different lift arm parts an axles)

Photo0500.jpg

Photo0499.jpg

Photo0498.jpg

+Engine has been widened an details added such as:cylinder heads, dual exhaust tips, changed pulley's for generator

Photo0494-1.jpg

Photo0497.jpgPhoto0495.jpg

Photo0511.jpg

Edited by T_Tank