Sign in to follow this  
BrickDemon

Black track links larger than grey links?

I've done a few searches but couldn't find anything on the topic, sorry if this is a known problem.

I'm currently rebuilding my 8043 by replacing all blue, yellow, grey and tan parts with as much black as possible, but the black links I bought for the tracks appear to be slightly bigger.. the tracks are really loose and sometimes cause problems when turning etc..

Are the black links just larger? Or did I maybe get a bad production batch..? They are both the new type with the re-enforcement ridges and both have 2006 on it..

On this TechnicBRICKS post, Conchas reported on the redesigned Lego Technic Tread. 57518.png Here is the short version:

"The original version have a slightly different design from the newest parts and thus LEGO should have changed the mold. This was found by John while playing with ideas to build some large wheels, using circles made of these tread links turned inside-out.

By mixing some old and new parts from different sets, suddenly some wheels became very un-wheel like. Looking to find where the problem was, John found to have two types of different tread links. The newest ones had little protrusions in the contact to the next link, that make impossible to create such circles as small as with the old style. Digging further he found also that alternating new & old style links would prevent this issue, despite not very convenient having to sort them all...

Although both types will work fine with each other, if mixed in the same track.

Because an image is worth a thousand words, below a couple of pictures with annotations from John [brost], which better show the difference between old & new parts design."

TBs_20100112_1a.jpgTBs_20100112_1b.jpg

"The change should have occurred in 2009, since all my DGB and Black links stock from 2007-2008 sets (8272, 8275, 8294 and 7645) have the old style links. Just got the ones with new design, at sets 8263 and 7632 already from 2009.

Despite the mold modification, both parts exhibit a "© 2006 LEGO" mark and the same mold reference (57518)."

Yes I knew that, but like I said both my links (black and grey) are the new kind/style.. (right one in the last image)

Anyway thanks for the replies..

Edited by BrickDemon

Here is a recent

of a Lego Technic Power Functions Tank by 1blaz62 that shows how one can alternate grey and black Technic Treads. It seems to work just fine in the snow:

Here is a recent

of a Lego Technic Power Functions Tank by 1blaz62 that shows how one can alternate grey and black Technic Treads. It seems to work just fine in the snow:

Thanks! Actually I have thought about mixing them as I like the way that looks (saw it before on a nxt project, a shooting robot as I recall right) but that would kinda ruin my projects nature.. I also thought it would look like I don't have enough tracks.. besides I spent quite some money getting it all black.. I really don't feel for grey tracks.. :)

I hated the color coding (blue pins etc) so one replacement led to another and so far I replaced more then 80% of the parts with black and if that wasn't availlable grey or red. I even replaced all grey axles with black versions (except the 9L) and also all bushings (quite expensive) Now with the yellow panels on, it looks like bumblebee from the transformers. Still waiting on my red panels.. one bricklink seller had me wait for two months and then sends me the wrong panels. I hope to get the right panels on tuesday..

Anyway I have ordered 4 smaller versions of the large track wheels on the 8043 that I will put in place of the upper 11x8mm wheels. it will probably solve my problem, but buildwise I would like to keep it as original as possible..!