Sign in to follow this  
SirSven7

Castle or Pirates?

Hello All

I like to browse mostly between the pirate and castle forums.

I saw that in the other forum there is a topic comparing pirate and castle themes asking which is better.

I would be very interested if people had anything to say on the subject in this forum and if we get different results here. (Even though their topic has been going a while)

I would Especially like to know your reasons why.

For me growing up in the 90s I had my fair share of both, but coming out of my dark age only recently (last year) I have been more excited by my old castle sets than my pirate, I still love both greatly but Castle just has the edge. Also that MMV was soo cool I had to get One, but as of yet I haven't found a reasonable excuse to by the Imperial Flagship (i probably will one day, but castle took president).

So Castle

or Pirate

Also if anyone can add a voting poll to this that would be great.

Thanks All

Edited by SirSven7

I like them both.

I mostly have Castle sets because I got back into late 2009ish and by then pirates was already in the process of being canceled. Same with the Fantasy castle so I bought what sets I could afford of the castle and bought the kraken attackin, cannon battle and pirates battle pack. I wish I also bought the loot island but I did not.

I would love to get more pirates sets if they made new ones so that I can have an army of pirates which can serve as pirates OR bandits. Because they look like they could pass off as both making them versatile minifigs. And the Soldiers could represent some technologically advanced kingdom while everyone else is still using swords and crossbows.

To be honest, I've always made Castles synonymous with Pirates, and vice versa. The Pirates would attack my castles, or the Pirates would report to the Castle, a PIRATE CASTLE. So I'm gonna go with both. :D

All the Catleset which I bought, were strategic buys (for the bricks and figs)

The Pirate theme is more appealing to me. I love the old ships.

And I can't wait for the PotC sets in May.

SO Pirates for me :sick:

My kids and I are mostly into LEGO City, but when it comes to Castle or Pirates I'd have to say Castle. For me the biggest reason is storage space. You can store Castle sets with reasonable ease, but storing a Pirate Ship with masts and sails is a challenge.

They are two sides of the same coin, separated by a couple of hundred years they are Lego's permanent historic themes.

Castle is more varied and has gone through more periods of exploration. It has tapped into fantasy elements, classic myths, and even attempted to emulate historically accurate castles and sets especially with the Kingdoms line.

This is the biggest distinction as pirate sets are always a bit predictable; always a huge pirate ship, a few islands and the ever present imperial soldiers to oppose the plunder. I think both themes are excellent in terms of their minifigures and part selection, and very very useful for MOC'ing :sweet:

If I had to choose, I'd say castle, but I am biased as a fan of fantasy writing, movies and games. May they both continue to give us countless amazing figures, parts and accessories for years to come! :laugh: