Sign in to follow this  
JopieK

LDD Train Signal Post

Too late for the competition but that is no problem. This signal house was designed in preparation of LEGOWorld 2010 (Zwolle) and the main purpose is having a nice building for doing further tests with arm signals using PF amongst others.

I also recreated the good old 7821 set in LDD. Some pictures use non-buyable bricks but both sets are in essence buyable for about 200€ + 35€.

Bricks in the Signal Post: approximately 1330.

overview.jpg

You can see different aspects of the building. The back has two removable panes for access inside the signal house. I didn't put in too many details there since at an exposition they are hard too see for the visitors from behind the fence.

The house was inspired by different existing signal posts from the old days. The base is at least 8 by 5 studs since that is the footprint of my circuitboard.

The signal post has a lot of details. The red cupboard contains so called "rail detonators" (or in AE torpedos) for warning trains in misty circumstances. There is a small handtruck for the signal post crew with several tools available. In those days wired telephones were state of the art so that is why some poles were included, but maybe they used it for the more old fashioned but still widespread telegraph. The armsignals are simple but effective. I have successfully tested those using memory wire. They are quite breakable, that is their main problem and they need adjustment now and then, but that was no different in those old day I guess :)

post_traincar.jpg

That is why the signal repair car came in handy!

signalwaggon.jpg

The car is based in the 7821 design from about 30 years ago. I have had that one since I was a child back then.

7821 look alike

signal post

It was fun designing it, hope you enjoy it. My girlfriends wants me to buy it from her, so maybe :) otherwise I will use the LEGO from stock of course and some bricklink.

One word: Absolutely Fantastic :classic:

And I love the fuzzy backgrounds you put in, really adds a feeling of depth!

Good old photoshop comes in handy now and then :) In the final model I will add the electronics and stickers (of course).

Good old photoshop comes in handy now and then :) In the final model I will add the electronics and stickers (of course).

Yepp! Maybe it's those kind of out-of-focus backgrounds that you've done that should be in LDD instead of those silly dessert and water images.

Yepp! Maybe it's those kind of out-of-focus backgrounds that you've done that should be in LDD instead of those silly dessert and water images.

In effect it is quite simple to make them. I just used the gradient fill tool, tweak it a bit. The 'trees' are soft brush strokes and thats it. LDD luckily exports it to a transparent png so it is easy then to add the colors as a background.