???theriddler???

Batman Films Discussion

Indeed, it was great. I saw it the day it came out, but forgot to post about it here.

The body count in that movie was insane, at least compared to other Batman films and TV shows! And that image of the burning Joker is probably going to haunt me for some time. It was a bit predictable and I don't like the fact that Batman willingly used a gun, but other than that it was very good.

These DC animated movies have been great lately and I can't wait for their next releases, Superman Unbound and Flashpoint! :sweet:

Well, indeed, both films had a lot of violenc, which i didn't expect to happen. I was pretty sure the style of the comic would've been toned down, but it seems they decided to push it to the top.

As for Batman using guns or willingly injuring Joker..... Well, I personally liked it a lot. Batman in the film is an old grumpy man. Still able to kick the heck out of ordinary punks, put at the same time tired to death of the city of crime, where people are too afraid to stand for themselves (like Gordon puts it). In the Carnival scene it looked to me like he's both tired and irritated at the same time: tired that he has to do it again, to chase Joker and throw him back to Arkham, and irritated, because Joker just wouldn't stop and after those many years he still is present in Batman's life. it seems Bats was ready to end it once and for all from the very beginning. Perhaps, not kill, but injure joker so much that he wouldn't be able to crawl out of Arkham ever again.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Yeah, the part about Joker was fine and good since, as you said, he seemed to just want to severely injure Joker, but the part about the gun is a whole different story. Not using a gun is one of Batman's most important personal rules and one of his most defining features. They made such a big deal out of it in the DCAU and other portrayals that it seems odd here that he would just pick up a gun and shoot it just to avoid capture, even if he was just shooting at an object. The way I see it, Batman would never use a gun, no matter how tired, grumpy, or irritated he is, because it's the thing that killed his parents and scarred him for life, not simply because they're "clumsy". But maybe you're right, maybe he was past the point of caring at that point. After all, even in the DCAU the old Bruce Wayne is a lot more bitter and ruthless than his younger self or Terry, and I think that Bruce was partly based on the one from this story.

Well, I see your point, Oky.

That depends, I guess, on how you see Batman's rule of not using the gun. I always though that he couldn't kill with it, like it's been shown in Under the Red Hood ( arguably the best Bats film so far, closely followed by Mask of Phantasm and Mystery of Batwoman). But I thought that he could use it to shoot some object. And the fact that he couldn't shoot it several times was not because the gun was "clumsy', but he said it to himself for not being able to shoot it, due to obvious lack of practice.

On a separate note i'd like to note how wonderfully Superman's role has been rendered. His actions are questionable from the very beginning, he appears to be almost the second biggest baddie in the film. (Love it how he de facto serves the American government to solve their problems for them. Something they avoided in following years, by making Sups reject his american citizenship.)

And is it me, or Joker's homo-bi-sexuality has bin somewhat toned down in the film? From comic book I got a very clear message that he had some strong obsession towards Bats, and claimed that Bats also had some secrets to hide..... Here he says about "psychotic obsession", but that changes the things a bit.

And who wouldn't love Selina Kyle? I mean seriously, she's let a minor, but one of the most sympathetic character in the film. Especially when she starts hitting Superman after Bruce's funeral.

That's what I first thought too, but he says it again later when rallying the people. He says: "These weapons are loud and clumsy" or something like that and goes on to say that batarangs are better. :sceptic:

As for Joker, as I said, I haven't read the comic, so I can't comment on that, but I try not to think about sexuality when I think about Batman anyway, a man who goes on activities with teenagers in tights at night... :look:

And yes, I also liked the bit about Superman. He got what was coming to him.

I for one loved the Dark Knight Returns Part 2! The fight scenes were very well done as well as the great voice actors (especially Batman and Joker), the final battle was action-packed and incredibly intense. My favorite part though was when the Joker was on the talk show, it was pretty funny but had a very expected ending. Lastly, I can't wait for the Flashpoint movie as I haven't (Just as I have read this book) and I hope it is a good alternative to reading the comic.

the Joker was on the talk show, it was pretty funny but had a very expected ending.

Funny? *huh*

You, my good sir, and I have a very different idea about Joker being funny. :sceptic::tongue:

Funny? *huh*

You, my good sir, and I have a very different idea about Joker being funny. :sceptic::tongue:

Well, I was laughing at how stupid they were because they didn't take him seriously. :laugh: But, occasionally the Joker can make me laugh, you know, when he isn't violently beating someone or doing some other insane thing.