Sonic Screwdriver

Your favorite Space themed set?

I have been assembling a couple of my old sets, and the Particle Ionizer (M:Tron, 6923) is my favorite Space set. I always liked this set because it had a lot more components and features than the smaller sets, yet its price was low enough (in the neighborhood of 15-20 $US back in 1990 I think) that I could afford to buy one.

I like the streamlined, fast look of the ship, the variable geometry wings, the spinning sensor cluster on top, the droid housed in the midsection, and the crane+cargo box? in the rear compartment. The included tools for the droid and mini-figure are a nice touch as well. I am hard pressed to think of another mid-sized set that has this much functionality.

Construction overall is pretty sturdy. The keel of the Particle Ionizer is built around two solid 1x16 black bricks, and a 2x10 red plate reinforces the structure of the top of the ship.

What's your favorite Space themed set?

Edited by Sonic Screwdriver

My favorite space themed set has to be the 6973 Deep Freeze Defender. Was the largest (and coolest) space set I owned when I was a kid (was an xmas gift I believe) and I had so much fun playing with all the cool parts (like the wings, garage door, "laser gun" antennas, cockpits etc.

I no longer have my childhood LEGO but I have since been able to obtain all the parts for not only this set but every single set in the Ice Planet line (including all the special hard-to-find parts for the Ice Station Odyssey)

I think I even have a set of genuine instructions for the 6973 somewhere.

As a kid I somewhat lost interest in the Space them with the introduction of the Ice Planet line (the trans-orange parts made me think of Tango), so I sort-of stopped getting them after that - which was only a year or so before I stopped playing with LEGO altogether. So I can't really comment on the lines after that. But of the ones I did have, the Space Police I Striker was amongst my favourites (and it's one of only two Space sets I owned that survived my teenage car boot sale binge), not only because of its fearsome, streamlined look but its swooshing ability. I had the larger Mission Commander set, but you just couldn't fly that around as much.

Second to that, I suppose, would be the Spyrius Robo-Guardian, one of the last sets I bought and also the only other Space set to survive to this day. I typically placed that dude into the 'OMG unstoppable killing machine!!1' role during play (with the little Android minifig being akin to the Terminator), requiring all the other minifigs from the other sets to team up to take it down. I also had a couple of other Spyrius sets, including the smaller robot, which would occasionally arrive as reinforcements to make epic battles even more epic. Sets (and unfortunate minifigs) would often need to be rebuilt afterwards. Fond memories...

He's since found use as an unknown alien antagonist of the Galactic Republic in my shelf-mounted display, incidentally.

Edited by Enigma-85

My favorite space themed set has to be the 6973 Deep Freeze Defender. Was the largest (and coolest) space set I owned when I was a kid (was an xmas gift I believe) and I had so much fun playing with all the cool parts (like the wings, garage door, "laser gun" antennas, cockpits etc.

I really wanted one of those when I was a kid... I think it cost 50-60 $US which was waaaaay more than I could buy back in the day, heh. I would stare at the Deep Freeze Defender in the Lego catalogs and dream of owning a starship like that. I liked the dual cockpits and shuttle bay. There was a built in rocket launcher too, as I recall.

I know a lot of people did not favor Ice Planet much, but I liked it a lot. The mini-figures had serious looking uniforms and I still like the antennae on the helmet visors. I own a couple of the smaller Ice Planet vehicles.

#5972 Space Truck Getaway (also known as Container Heist).

Damn, that thing is awesome. Best. Design. Ever.

~.A.S.

Of those that I had, I'd have to say the Space Police II Rebel Hunter. A damn swooshy spacecraft, had that "starfighter" vibe about it.

Special mention to Blacktron II Allied Avenger, it had a snazzy cockpit. Shame they don't make the parts I need to replicate it no more...

Of those I wanted, too many to mention, but perhaps the awesomest of those is probably M:Tron's MOTHERF***ING GIANT SPACE JEEP!!!!!!!!!

Brick on...

Scorpion

EDIT: Missed a link...

Edited by Scorpion