Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi648

Power Function Suggestion

For the past few weeks I have been digitally designing a Lego train I would like to someday build. As I am at the point where I am starting work on the locomotive I wonder what is the best Power Functions motor(s) to use? I do not have any Power Function parts so I am unsure about how powerful they are.

The train itself will consist of 5 cars like this.

12498693631_DISPLAY.jpg

There are some bricks and other pieces on the inside in order to hold up the SNOT structure (combined, probably the equivalent of 10 2X4 bricks). The engine itself will probably be about one and a half times the weight. I was considering using one XL Power Functions motor, but I don't know if that will be able to pull the train without overloading. I don't care much about speed as I do that the train will be able to pull the cars around However, I also will need room on the inside in order for me to place the battery/IR receiver and the back of the SNOT for the windows. If you have any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :classic:

-For those of you wondering about this train, it is the Excess Express which was seen in the GameCube game Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. If you are interested in seeing more about this train (along with the crazy engine it has) you see it on MOCPages: Link

Edited by Yoshi648

Good question.

Nice MOC BTW

I think it would be sufficient to use one motor.

For example, lego uses only 1 motor to motorise the emerald express.

Have a look in the building instructions, al most at the end where this is shown