Tarfful

Car Talk

Um, getting the same sound would require a very similar engine. I've been in a Gallardo Superleggera and you can't really fake that sound. Same with the Ferrari F430 Scuderia, it's got a sound all it's own. Riding in that was like a 4 wheeled motorcycle.

I'd suggest gettign a clip online, you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Well when I saw this:

He says he uses a 2.0L mitsubishi turbo with 420hp. But firstly, Wha car does that specific engine come from? And how hard would you have to tune-up that engine to get it to 400 bhp?

Its not going to be easy to replicate the sound that a V10 engine makes.There very distinct. So to try and "replicate" it for cheap will not be easy. Also, chances are if your going to build a replica, it will be just that. A replica. Most people will spot a replica right off the bat, so it really won't matter what sound the engine makes as your not going to "fool"anyone.

But, if you still want to build a replica, then your engine choice should probably be some kind of a twin turbo charged V6. The Ford Turbo V6 that the Noble M12 uses would be good. V10's are more high pitched than a rumble, so a small displacement engine would be your best bet.

Well when I saw this:

He says he uses a 2.0L mitsubishi turbo with 420hp. But firstly, Wha car does that specific engine come from? And how hard would you have to tune-up that engine to get it to 400 bhp?

It comes from the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO.

Stock it makes around 287 bhp.

It's a highly tunable engine and is pretty bulletproof. It's been Mitsu's rally car of choice for decades, and it's basically been the same block all this time.

The actual engine code is something like 4G63 EVO MIVEC

It's found int todays EVO's that you can still buy brand new.

Its not going to be easy to replicate the sound that a V10 engine makes.There very distinct. So to try and "replicate" it for cheap will not be easy. Also, chances are if your going to build a replica, it will be just that. A replica. Most people will spot a replica right off the bat, so it really won't matter what sound the engine makes as your not going to "fool"anyone.

But, if you still want to build a replica, then your engine choice should probably be some kind of a twin turbo charged V6. The Ford Turbo V6 that the Noble M12 uses would be good. V10's are more high pitched than a rumble, so a small displacement engine would be your best bet.

Well the replica will fool alot of people here in England. I mean no one buys Lambos over here. Were more like Ferraris, Maseratis and Astons.

Plus Ill fool everyone in my neighbourhood. :thumbup: And how could spot the diffrence between these:

murci3.jpg

murci4.jpg

murci6.jpg

So how would you tune-up the Ford Turbo V6 to 400-500 BHP?

Well when I saw this:

That engine sounds nothing like a lambo motor. But to answer your question it comes from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. They come factory Turbo'd , and are fairly easy to tune to get 400hp. Its a matter of upgrading the Turbo, inter-cooler, fuel system, and exhaust. In all about $6,000 American, not including dyno tuning on top of the cost of the engine (used I'm guessing around 7 to $10K depending on the mileage.

But again, its not going to sound like a Lambo, but will still be a heck of alot cheaper. You'd be better using a small block V8 and getting the same power, with less strain the engine and half the cost. And it will sound a hell of alot better too. :classic:

That engine sounds nothing like a lambo motor. But to answer your question it comes from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. They come factory Turbo'd , and are fairly easy to tune to get 400hp. Its a matter of upgrading the Turbo, inter-cooler, fuel system, and exhaust. In all about $6,000 American, not including dyno tuning on top of the cost of the engine (used I'm guessing around 7 to $10K depending on the mileage.

But again, its not going to sound like a Lambo, but will still be a heck of alot cheaper. You'd be better using a small block V8 and getting the same power, with less strain the engine and half the cost. And it will sound a hell of alot better too. :classic:

Any recommendations or the small block V8?

Well the replica will fool alot of people here in England. I mean no one buys Lambos over here. Were more like Ferraris, Maseratis and Astons.

Plus Ill fool everyone in my neighbourhood. :thumbup: And how could spot the diffrence between these:

murci3.jpg

murci4.jpg

murci6.jpg

So how would you tune-up the Ford Turbo V6 to 400-500 BHP?

Wow. I have to admit, those are preety good for Replicas What is the cost? Is the interior the same as the real one? in my experiance, ussualy the interior is the dead give away, as well as the fit-and-finish of the replica car in general. Half of the reason super cars cost as much as they do is because of the attention to detail and quality of parts. This is where many replics cut costs.

Concerning the Ford motor, I believe the heads on the engine are ported and polished, fuel system is upgraded, and the turbos are added. Its not cheap, but they have proven to be pretty reliable. I still say through in a small block fuelinjected V8. Good reliabityand big power for cheap!

I beat you to it 2 posts up.

But I agree a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine will not sound like a Lambo V10

Neither will an american V8.

I would do some searching on Kit Car Websites, I'm sure someone has found an engine that sounds fairly similar.

Wow. I have to admit, those are preety good for Replicas What is the cost? Is the interior the same as the real one? in my experiance, ussualy the interior is the dead give away, as well as the fit-and-finish of the replica car in general. Half of the reason super cars cost as much as they do is because of the attention to detail and quality of parts. This is where many replics cut costs.

Concerning the Ford motor, I believe the heads on the engine are ported and polished, fuel system is upgraded, and the turbos are added. Its not cheap, but they have proven to be pretty reliable. I still say through in a small block fuelinjected V8. Good reliabityand big power for cheap!

Well the prices are here

They say in the Ferrari that you can pay them to do it for you for only £8000 (that includes the kit and stuff) so thats a good price. Altogether, a Toyota MR2 costs from £900-1200 pounds for a Second Generation one on Autotrader. That engine already has 168 bhp, But you will replace that, I dont know how much, and just mabye do up the interior in your favourite parts. That should eventually come to about £20,000 for a Lambo!

Also, As you were saying about the Interior, You could do it up your own style and say you thought the original "factory" made interior was to boring. Then you can have a excuse for putting in Ferrari styled tan leather and Metallic Gold dash kits.

Well the prices are here

They say in the Ferrari that you can pay them to do it for you for only £8000 (that includes the kit and stuff) so thats a good price. Altogether, a Toyota MR2 costs from £900-1200 pounds for a Second Generation one on Autotrader. That engine already has 168 bhp, But you will replace that, I dont know how much, and just mabye do up the interior in your favourite parts. That should eventually come to about £20,000 for a Lambo!

Also, As you were saying about the Interior, You could do it up your own style and say you thought the original "factory" made interior was to boring. Then you can have a excuse for putting in Ferrari styled tan leather and Metallic Gold dash kits.

LOL, good idea but there is no way in hell anyone who has ever seen a real Lamborghini would believe that you didn't like the interior and swapped it out :hmpf:

GM LS1 or LS2 V8. Used in everything from the Chevy Camaro, Cadillac's, Pontiac's, half ton trucks, and the Australian Holden line of cars. Very reliable, have a ton of aftermarket support anywhere in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Because of its support and reliability, its a very popular choice for engine swaps.

LOL, good idea but there is no way in hell anyone who has ever seen a real Lamborghini would believe that you didn't like the interior and swapped it out :hmpf:

Well its a bit to "over-leathered" for my liking. I don't really like Black Interior, I prefer Ferrari style Tan and Silver.

ferrari-599-gtb-fiorano-interior.jpg

Although I would prefer to have a Lamborghini...

SC06_Lamborghini_Murciélago_interior.jpg

I beat you to it 2 posts up.

Ya i noticed that. It seems we've all made the last ten post within a half hour of each other. :tongue:

But I agree a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine will not sound like a Lambo V10

Neither will an american V8.

True. But since finding a "simular" sounding engine is going to be a chore, you might as well go for the gine that has the best reliabilty and gives you the most power/cost ratio or "Bang for the buck!"

You beat me to it. Exactly.

Heres a video from the actually people who make the one I want. And they say they somehow tuned the Toyota MR2 Engine to 500 BHP! How?

Heres a video from the actually people who make the one I want. And they say they somehow tuned the Toyota MR2 Engine to 500 BHP! How?

Yup. very possible to tune the MR2 gen 2 engine to 500hp. Though your reliabilty isn't going to be all that great concideringer your pushing that engine to its limits. i noticed once they started showing close up you could spot the fit and finish wasn't nearly as good as the Lambo. This is why replicas are so cheap. I'm also curious to what chassis they use, how the car rides and handles.

Yup. very possible to tune the MR2 gen 2 engine to 500hp. Though your reliabilty isn't going to be all that great concideringer your pushing that engine to its limits. i noticed once they started showing close up you could spot the fit and finish wasn't nearly as good as the Lambo. This is why replicas are so cheap. I'm also curious to what chassis they use, how the car rides and handles.

The Donor car is a Toyota MR2, or a Space Chassis they say.

What little spots and finishes? Because I wouldn't really care since the only people I will let look at my car up close is my friends. Because I know if I leave this outside in my drive for people to look at, you know its going to get stolen within the year. So it will be in the garage. Also, Once they fix it for you, you can touch it up yourself if you know how.

Cause I know you have seen a Lamborghini Murcielago up close but half of the world probebly hasn't. :laugh:

Sorry to double post but heres the interior diffrence:

TheInteror.jpg

The real one:

Lamborghini%20Murcielago%20LP640%20Roadster%20Two%20Face%204.jpg

Replica Seats:

Theseats.jpg

Real Seats:

2009-Lamborghini-Gallardo-LP-560-4-Spyder-Seats-1280x960.jpg

Obviously it would probebly look more furnished with the buttons and lighs once placed in the car.

Ya i noticed that. It seems we've all made the last ten post within a half hour of each other. :tongue:

You beat me to it. Exactly.

:classic:

Money

500hp is no problem from those motors. The '3S-GTE' was used in the early 90/s celica's. the all-trac ones, I knew a few people with those and they easily tuned them close to 300bhp with very little, mostly external modifications.

If you do it right and spend the right amount of money, you could easily make a realiable 500bhp daily driver.

500hp is no problem from those motors. The '3S-GTE' was used in the early 90/s celica's. the all-trac ones, I knew a few people with those and they easily tuned them close to 300bhp with very little, mostly external modifications.

If you do it right and spend the right amount of money, you could easily make a realiable 500bhp daily driver.

Whats "right amount of money" are we looking at? :grin:

I thought that Mitshubitshi engine in that Replica sounded like a Lambo when I listened to a real one being revved on youtube:

Real one

Whats "right amount of money" are we looking at? :grin:

I thought that Mitshubitshi engine in that Replica sounded like a Lambo when I listened to a real one being revved on youtube:

Real one

Well the 3S-GTE engines should eb easy to find on ebay but they are getting old. They haven't made them in a good number of years so parts might start becoming scarse. I think you'd have much better luck going with the Mitsu's EVO engine, it's newer and more efficient as well as more available.

My guess is 10,000-15,000 on the 3S-GTE, the EVO engine will cost more off the back but excluding the cost of the enige you could reach 350-450 for under 10k for sure. It all depends on the parts you go with. Also it would depend on how much custom fabrication may or may not be needed to get the engine to fit in the chasis you are using.

Well the 3S-GTE engines should eb easy to find on ebay but they are getting old. They haven't made them in a good number of years so parts might start becoming scarse. I think you'd have much better luck going with the Mitsu's EVO engine, it's newer and more efficient as well as more available.

My guess is 10,000-15,000 on the 3S-GTE, the EVO engine will cost more off the back but excluding the cost of the enige you could reach 350-450 for under 10k for sure. It all depends on the parts you go with. Also it would depend on how much custom fabrication may or may not be needed to get the engine to fit in the chasis you are using.

Do exhausts do anything to a cars sound?

Theres a Longlife Exhaust company near me and they sell some highly recommended Exhausts.

On this website it says "A performance exhaust offering :

- Increased power (bhp)

- Better fuel economy

- A lifetime warranty

- Different sound levels so you can REALLY

express yourself

- 50 different tailpipe configurations"

Does it really change the Sound level and increased BHP? :sceptic:

The Donor car is a Toyota MR2, or a Space Chassis they say.

What little spots and finishes? Because I wouldn't really care since the only people I will let look at my car up close is my friends. Because I know if I leave this outside in my drive for people to look at, you know its going to get stolen within the year. So it will be in the garage. Also, Once they fix it for you, you can touch it up yourself if you know how.

Cause I know you have seen a Lamborghini Murcielago up close but half of the world probebly hasn't. :laugh:

What i mean by fit and finish is the over all quality of the car and how well the panels fit against each other. The goal is to have an even seem between each panel and that they flow even to the next. Also, replica usually are fiberglass and by so, the quality can be iffy. :sceptic: Meaning the body panels have a sort of "wavy texture" when you look at it. They also tend to creak and moan while you drive. Now i can't say for sure this is how these replicas are cause i haven't seen them up close, but one thing you have to remember is there is a reason super cars such as the Lambo and Ferrari's cost as much as they do. Cause these companies pay attention to these details and only use the finest of materials. So what happens is you end up having a car that looks like the lambo, but has the fit and finish and overall quality of Kia. This is evident by the pics of the interior you posted. That's the same interior from the MR2 that the engine came from. So you have a dash that's over 15yrs old in a "New"car. its going to look, and feel cheap when you drive it. Its very rare that a car has a solid feel to it when its pieced toeghter with parts from different cars.

Do exhausts do anything to a cars sound?

Theres a Longlife Exhaust company near me and they sell some highly recommended Exhausts.

On this website it says "A performance exhaust offering :

- Increased power (bhp)

- Better fuel economy

- A lifetime warranty

- Different sound levels so you can REALLY

express yourself

- 50 different tailpipe configurations"

Does it really change the Sound level and increased BHP? :sceptic:

Yes. The exhaust has everything to do with how a car sounds and will general increase HP. What exhaust company is near you? Are you sure its an exhaust company or just a muffler shop?

There's give and takes depending on what kind of sound and performance you want, and also largely depends on the engine you have as well. No matter what exhaust you put on, a 4Cly is not going to sound like a V8. The type aspiration the engine is will also largely affect the HP and fuel economy gain. A forced induction engine (turbo and supercharged) will have greater benefits than a stock naturally aspirated engine. The general rule is air in, air out. The more air you cram into an engine, the faster you can get it (the exhaust) out will increase HP. But be careful as to big an exhaust could make your car sound very raspy (like those fart ricer Honda's) and you can actually loose HP. This is why from a performance standpoint its usually best to get a performance exhaust from a reputable exhaust company instead of a fly by muffler shop.

I'm very familiar with these engines. The dealership i started my technician apprenticeship was Toyota. These engines are very potent for sure, but as you say, its all about money. 300hp to 500hp is a big jump in terms of reliability. Stock internals were good to about 300, but after that you'd need to rebuild the the whole engine. Your looking at big bucks to properly build and tune any 4cyl to 500hp. Can it be done? Sure. Is it worth the money? :sceptic: I guess that's a subjective question, but there are better choices out there for big power.

What i mean by fit and finish is the over all quality of the car and how well the panels fit against each other. The goal is to have an even seem between each panel and that they flow even to the next. Also, replica usually are fiberglass and by so, the quality can be iffy. :sceptic: Meaning the body panels have a sort of "wavy texture" when you look at it. They also tend to creak and moan while you drive. Now i can't say for sure this is how these replicas are cause i haven't seen them up close, but one thing you have to remember is there is a reason super cars such as the Lambo and Ferrari's cost as much as they do. Cause these companies pay attention to these details and only use the finest of materials. So what happens is you end up having a car that looks like the lambo, but has the fit and finish and overall quality of Kia. This is evident by the pics of the interior you posted. That's the same interior from the MR2 that the engine came from. So you have a dash that's over 15yrs old in a "New"car. its going to look, and feel cheap when you drive it. Its very rare that a car has a solid feel to it when its pieced toeghter with parts from different cars.

Yes. The exhaust has everything to do with how a car sounds and will general increase HP. What exhaust company is near you? Are you sure its an exhaust company or just a muffler shop?

I guess that's a subjective question, but there are better choices out there for big power.

Well on the Forums for the Extreme Car owners, theres a few people making there own interior Dash boards from the mold of the Interior Dash they get from the Lamborghini, Then they can cut out the holes and such where its needed. I don't know wheter it will turn out well but people are making door "inners":

3657556366_e534267af9.jpg

Heres a screenshot I took, And I dont think this is a replica although it says. Because look at the interior, Its got a right door sills, the fog lights under the steering wheel and the right dial cover...

Rev.jpg

And the Exhaust Company is called Bristol Exhausts

Bristol is about half an hour to a hour away from me.

So your saying get a V8 cause it can handle the power of 400-500 bhp?

EDIT: Also as you were saying about door fittings. This is a quote from a person building theres and they stated:

"Rich is right.. the only way to judge something is by seeing it yourself. All these posts about the dimensions being different are simply just not true. They are identical in length / width / height. You can take a panel off one and it will fit the other.

Again I fully agree with Rich in that your buying if you would an airfix kit. Give two people the same kit and you will get two very different results. Each come with identical instructions."

So the fitting of the panels really depends on your skill at engineering and creation. I mean, you could make a Lamborghini Murcielago on the outside, but you can (If you really want to) pimp it up in the inside, with speakers in the headrests, lots of lights and stuff. I mean, if I buy it and make it, I am not keeping the dash kit the same. Im going to put some illuminating Dials in, Some LEDs, sat nav, e.t.c. Thats if I cant find a person who will make a true Lambo interior for me.

Edited by Joey Lock

The only thing you are missing is the price. Those really good replicas cost at least $65000-80000. If you want cheaper replicas, then they would look REALLY bad.

Like this:

lamborghini_murcielago_replica_21.JPG:tongue:

The only thing you are missing is the price. Those really good replicas cost at least $65000-80000. If you want cheaper replicas, then they would look REALLY bad.

Like this:

lamborghini_murcielago_replica_21.JPG:tongue:

To get the Extreme Replica kit complete it would be around £20-25k. Another £5-6k for labour and they will complete it for you.

But I have 2 friends who love cars and when I get around to buying it in a few years, I am going to get my friends to help me get mabye a Audi V6 and Tune it up to 500 BHP. The makers of the Kit say the Audi is proberbly a good Engine to use for 500bhp, And you can tune it for about £1500 and it doesnt strain the engine. Or they said get a V8 and it will sound good and go pretty good. However some people, I dont know where they get it, But they are trying to put a V10 engine in the Replica.

Where do you buy Engines, And were do you buy them cheap?

Also, If I pay them to make a perfectly fitting Replica, I will try to change the Interior to as accurate as possible, but if that doesn't work, Ill fit in some LED's, Sat Nav and Door sills. And then make the interior my own.