DarthSion

From game to TV

My best mate come over for our usual Sunday night gaming session and we were discussing games to TV, so i thought i would see what other people thought.

What game would you like to see turned into a TV show.

My best mate wants Armored Core, live action.

I would like to see Ratchet and Clank, made in HD quality CGI like what you see in Pixar movies.

Edited by DarthSion

Personally, I am not a big fan of taking video games to the big or small screen. I think that the fun of a video game is not the story, but the fact that you get to control a character and do things in the world that has been created. I do not think that the games have a strong enough story or character development to be turned into shows. The characters would be weak and have little depth to them, and games are not long enough to turn into a tv series.

Edited by SWMAN

That's why a tv show as time to give more depth to a character.

Devil May Cry was made into a tv show in Japan and was rather successful, a comic was also made in Japan for Ratchet and Clank and is also rather successful.

That's why a tv show as time to give more depth to a character.

Devil May Cry was made into a tv show in Japan and was rather successful, a comic was also made in Japan for Ratchet and Clank and is also rather successful.

Yes, but the TV series producers would have very little to work off of, plus they would have to try to stay true to what people think of the character while expanding them.

I would like to see Ratchet and Clank, made in HD quality CGI like what you see in Pixar movies.

I like the sound of that. :thumbup: But on second thought, I only like R&C because it's a fun game, not an interesting stury. When it comes to storytelling, Jak & Daxter is a much better candidate for an animated TV show or movie, IMO! That would be awesome! :cry_happy:

HALO would make an awesome movie, of course, and I think they are already working on it. I don't know if it would be a good TV show, though. There is not enough material to make an entire show of, I think, and it could end up as something similar to Star Wars: The Cline Wars. :sceptic:

Although the live action movies weren't all that good, Tomb Raider might make for an interesting TV show too.

And since the last Metal Gear Solid game was made out of more cutscenes than playable levels, why don't they just stop making games and start making it all an animated movie. :hmpf:

But what would really be interesting is an animated TV show in the style of Super Smash Bros.! You know, a show where characters from different games team up to fight bad guys, and not only characters from Nintendo games, but from all games!

That's all I can think of right now.

Personally, I am not a big fan of taking video games to the big or small screen. I think that the fun of a video game is not the story, but the fact that you get to control a character and do things in the world that has been created. I do not think that the games have a strong enough story or character development to be turned into games. The characters would be weak and have little depth to them, and games are not long enough to turn into a tv series.

Mmmmh, from your statement, I'd say you've never played a Metal Gear Solid game... Although I have to admit it's as much a movie as a game, considering all the cutscenes in it... But then again, it does go with what you're saying, since the story is developed in the cinematics and not in the actual gameplay phases, so...

I suppose it would depend on which original material the adaptation is based on. which would make it a bit useles : on one hand, if it's from a game all about gameplay and not story, the serie would be pretty boring or completely different and denaturing whereas on the other, it would just retell the story of the original game and render it slightly boring for those who have played the game (but it could be pretty good for everyone else...)

Mmmmh, from your statement, I'd say you've never played a Metal Gear Solid game... Although I have to admit it's as much a movie as a game, considering all the cutscenes in it... But then again, it does go with what you're saying, since the story is developed in the cinematics and not in the actual gameplay phases, so...

I suppose it would depend on which original material the adaptation is based on. which would make it a bit useles : on one hand, if it's from a game all about gameplay and not story, the serie would be pretty boring or completely different and denaturing whereas on the other, it would just retell the story of the original game and render it slightly boring for those who have played the game (but it could be pretty good for everyone else...)

I have not played any Metal Gear Solid games. Still, even games like Half-Life 2, which have a pretty intriguing storyline would not make a great show. First of all, you never see the character, so the idea that the player has of the character would be different than the TV series character. Second, how do you create a storyline. The game goes different for each person, depending on how they play. You would have to have the character go through each level in a way different than each person who played.

Edited by SWMAN

I would personally like to see HALO made into a movie and/or a TV series. I would also like to see a movie for in the Star Wars KOTOR era.

Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Spyro the Dragon would be nice to see on the big or small screen as well.

I like the sound of that. :thumbup: But on second thought, I only like R&C because it's a fun game, not an interesting stury. When it comes to storytelling, Jak & Daxter is a much better candidate for an animated TV show or movie, IMO! That would be awesome! :cry_happy:

HALO would make an awesome movie, of course, and I think they are already working on it. I don't know if it would be a good TV show, though. There is not enough material to make an entire show of, I think, and it could end up as something similar to Star Wars: The Cline Wars. :sceptic:

Although the live action movies weren't all that good, Tomb Raider might make for an interesting TV show too.

And since the last Metal Gear Solid game was made out of more cutscenes than playable levels, why don't they just stop making games and start making it all an animated movie. :hmpf:

But what would really be interesting is an animated TV show in the style of Super Smash Bros.! You know, a show where characters from different games team up to fight bad guys, and not only characters from Nintendo games, but from all games!

That's all I can think of right now.

Really?. huh i thought R&C series had a good story, have you played all the games?, ToD was not as good as the early games, the ps2 series had more of a story to them.

Night of the Werehog is an example of that it can be done with good results. It really boils down to how good the writers are, and how they approach the story (if they use the original story at all). Most games are played from a first-person perspective in one way or another, in order to achieve immersion, i.e. the player "being there" or "being him/her", while tv-shows and movies (and books, usually!) we merely observe what is happening from a second- or third-person perspective: we become the fly on the wall, and are not part of the story.

Provided the writers remember that crucial bit, and what actually drives games' stories, they need to adopt the story for new angle. The Half-Life series would be difficult, because the story is about "you" and not them, while WarCraft, which is getting movied as we speak, would work because the story centers around characters that players can't play; the story is about "them" and not "me".

And then there's the example I linked to above; here the writers instead ditched the story of the game, and made their own story that happens somewhere in it, but that doesn't occur in the game itself. They simply took the main character and his sidekick, built a new story, and tada! We have a movie. Or a tv-series. Or a short.

Quick edit: I did not link just to help the bloke get a million hits! It's because it HD-quality, in case anybody wants a quality picture!

Edited by Freddie