Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

The US price hike

Not at all, I would expect our prices still to go up a bit, it's the price you have to pay to support the brick :-) However with the dollar weakening against the pound it should make our prices a little fairer hopefully.

However, in a random twist on this thread, with the worldwide oil price going down to $40 a barrel......Lego's costs should have reduced no? although I am surprised this excuse was not used earlier this year when the price of oil was sky high to increase the prices further.

Paul

Honestly, I would expect that the current economic chaos will be used (and in all likelyhood it will be used honestly) as a reason to not change prices. They will say (again, probably truthfully) that they can't predict what will happen 6 months (or 1 week for that matter) from now and to alter prices based on what are so far short term market fluctuations (they will become long term, but so far it hasn't lasted long enough to call long term) wouldn't be a wise business decision. If anything, I would expect that they might (long shot) be slightly more generous with the piece count when they can do so and still maintain their profit margins. I would say the price points won't change, but the amount of content might (slightly).

89,99 Euros including taxes

99,99 US Dollar excluding taxes (110,00 including taxes, could someone from the US verify the taxes?)

I live in Oregon. We have no *sales* taxes. :pir-tongue:

You can often avoid sales tax by buying from an online store that doesn't have a presence in your state. Of course, you'll have to pay shipping costs instead.

CP5670-

The shipping will usually cost more than the tax! :pir_bawling: The nice thing about Legoshop.com is that there is no tax and shipping is low (I only paid $20 to ship 10188 and six other sets to me). And if you're in stores, you have to know when to buy and where to look. ToysRus has better selection but far more expensive (but more frequent sales :pir_laugh2: ). Target has more regular prices, but less selection. Is this the same in Princeton? I used to live down south, and it was the same there.

I live in Oregon. We have no *sales* taxes. :pir-tongue:

:pir_mad: Oregon has no sales tax? I might have to move out there...

And, in response to your picture message, there is new Space coming summer 2009 (and not Mars Mission) :thumbup: .

I think that is generally the case between most TRU and Target stores, from what people say on EB. I tend to buy most of my things off ebay (including currently available sets). The sales tax around here is on the high side at 7%.

Edited by CP5670

that is easy to explain from economic side.

logo demand is relative inelastic so when price hike they can still sell simillar amount of set with higher price they will have flat pr even more revenue.

another issue is substitution effect

does not matter for economic dow turn or upturn. lego is pretty unique in toy side pretty less similar product to compete.

you see from 2004-2007 when market are crazy lego did not increase price that much.

example 6210 75$ 6211 99$ that is cheap compare now 7676 120$.

I live in NY pay 8.4% tax (they charge online as well now)

I see people buy 7676 for 150$ at time square.

Lego is kinda follow apple's strategy. keep high price, people will buy if they want it.

notice 7676 sold out most of place 100$+ in the bad economic. 7679 is out for a while.

ebay someone bid for 100$for 7679.

if you think about apple you will understand lego if it charge 20% hike, people will buy more (not every set popular set only).