MSF

Lego 12V train help (7715 + 7722)

Hi,

Total newbie here as I just recently unpacked my old 7715 and 7722 12V trains to introduce them to our kids. 

However, the tracks and the metal connectors beneath the motors could be in better shape. Both have some black coating, probably from dust and dirt. So far I have understood that isopropyl alcohol (IPA 99%) is the way to go right? 

Pictures: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e0KhpZO6K2Ht-oOAj5eOP26A

Hi @MSF, and welcome to EB!

Nice that you unpacked your vintage (they are not "old", they are "nicely aged" :pir-love:!) 12V LEGO trains and tracks for your kids! That must be so much fun for you all!

Yes, IPA won't do any harm at all. It gets rid of grease. Not so much of corrosion, that needs more attention. I'd say, first try IPA. I also recommend to use very fine sandpaper on the 12V train motor contacts, but not on the rails. On the rails: Should IPA not do the trick, apply some WD40 (or the like) on a piece of cloth and then give the conducting rails a good go. I'd never use WD40 inside any electronic device, but these 12V conducting rails can take it. When the WD40 worked, I'd clean the remains off with another IPA cleansing in the same way, but that is somewhat optional and just keeping it on the very safe side.

Best regards,
Thorsten