Sign in to follow this  
cozzie4d

Connecting streets

Hi all,

While working on planning and starting to build my 80s city, I was wondering. What do you all use to connect street baseplates together?

Eventually perhaps small buildings or trees, but especially at the early stage it's quite annoying they move around, 2x2 tiles fixes it for now.
Just curious if you have smart ideas on connecting them.

Interesting question. Depends how strictly you want to stick to the style of 1980s sets, I suppose! I know that a lot of folks since the Modular Buildings came out have tiled the sidewalks with 2x2 paving stones similar to those sets, but that level of detail might be a little odd juxtaposed with the simpler 1980s style of buildings and vehicles.

If it's any help, the Idea Book 6000 includes some suggestions on pages 8 and 9 such as small flower planters, trees, fences, or piles of loose bricks (the last of which I suppose would work best in a construction site type setting).

Lampposts or electrical poles strike me as another especially good option, since both are the sort of thing that you might expect to find evenly spaced along a road!

If you want something that would secure the baseplates together by more than just a few studs (like, say, something with a 4x4 or larger footprint), some possibilities could include a larger planter/flowerbed, a telephone booth, an advertising column, a dumpster/skip, a fountain, a monument, or a public art installation.

I also encourage you to look over the Wikipedia article on street furniture and see if that gives you any further ideas!

Here's a picture from my old Lego city. I use different methods to keep the plates together; tiles, trees, small structures and I often try to have buildings overlap the baseplates for more stability.

image.jpg