Sign in to follow this  
Paul B Technic

Review - LEGO Technic 42151 C Model - Pickup Truck

The LEGO Technic 42151 C Model Pickup Truck stands as a testament to the creativity and engineering prowess of LEGO Technic enthusiasts. As a fan of the Technic line, I was very excited to receive this set for my birthday and while my normal process is to build the official A model first and then move on to C models, in this case I wanted to build this C model first. I can confidently say it exceeded my expectations in almost every aspect.

One of the standout features of this model is its hand of God (HOG) steering mechanism. Controlling the truck with precision and ease, this steering system allows for seamless manoeuvrability, ensuring that navigating through any terrain is a joyous experience. The attention to detail in implementing this functionality is truly commendable, adding an extra layer of realism to the overall build.

The heart of this Pickup Truck lies in its meticulously crafted V8 engine, ingeniously connected to one of the rear wheels. This engineering marvel not only adds authenticity to the design but also offers a fascinating insight into the inner workings of a real-life pickup truck. Witnessing the gears and pistons in action as the engine propels the vehicle forward is a sight to behold, highlighting LEGO technic enthusiasts commitment to providing immersive and educational building experiences, both for C models and mocs.

Furthermore, the inclusion of an opening tailgate adds another dimension of realism to the model. Whether loading cargo or simply admiring the intricate interior details, this feature enhances the playability and authenticity of the Pickup Truck, making it a standout addition to any LEGO Technic collection.

Beyond its functional aspects, the aesthetics of the Pickup Truck are equally impressive. From its sleek exterior design to its detailed interior cabin, every aspect of the model exudes craftsmanship and attention to detail. The colour scheme is vibrant yet realistic, capturing the essence of a classic pickup truck while incorporating modern design elements.

While I was very impressed with the end result, the build process has a few minor issues, which caused me some level of frustration during the 185 step build process:
- In a couple of spots the instructions were not very clear on where parts where meant to go, in one case I put a part aside and it was 22 steps later that I could see where it was meant to go. Going back to the original step, there was no way I could have told from that step where it was meant to go.
- Some steps might have 6 parts, 5 go on the rear and 1 might go on the front, this makes finding where they need to go challenging at times.
- A few steps require placing axels in beam holes but nothing connects / holds them in place until 2 or 3 steps later. More than once I "lost" parts as they had fallen off.
- Two areas don't seem to be connected very well and they fall off easily, this the middle part of the dashboard and and top part of the roof.

In conclusion, the LEGO Technic 42151 C Model Pickup Truck is a triumph of engineering and design. With its hand of God steering, V8 engine, and realistic features such as the opening tailgate, this model offers an engaging and immersive building experience for LEGO enthusiasts of all ages. Whether displayed proudly on a shelf or engaged in imaginative play, this Pickup Truck is sure to captivate and inspire builders for years to come.

With the left over parts, I am planning on making some mods and changes to improve this C model.

The Rebrickable page about this model can be found here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-166638/ErikGS/pickup-truck-42151-alternative/#details